• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits eat carpets?

Bunnie

Warren Scout
I have two little hoppies just over a year old and they live in the room under the stairs which at the moment has a vinyl flooring, after the summer I should hopefully be moving into my sister's bedroom (she will be going to uni and has a much bigger room) I will probably be moving my hoppies in there with me and have been looking up how to rabbit proof things, but my only worry is, will they eat the carpet, i'm sure its not dangerous for them but was just curious, they are litter trained and im hoping that when I move them to a different room they will be well behaved and still use the litter tray. Btw I do have another question, if they are secluded to one room all the time, do they still need to go into their cage at night? or can they just Rome around and sleep where they want? I'm sure I'm going to be getting a few comments saying I can do what I want, but I wasn't sure if there where any health issues about letting them out all the time, e.g. eat something they is bad, but I don't notice coz I'm asleep? at the moment they are able to run around all the time in there room, and don't get put away at night. the people who had my hoppies before me (a lady who could no longer look after them gave them to me) had them roming through 3 rooms, all vinyl or tile, she locked them away at night in their cage and im not sure why people actually have to do this?

btw I think bumble wanted to say something as he keeps jump across the keyboard (I had to edit bits out and move them down here)

,v. gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggk,ksceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexkklocp;-p;

My bunnies love to dig and eat the carpet unfortunately so I spend a lot of time stopping them eating it! They have a pen in the kitchen (lino floor) when I'm not there and at night and they've not tried to eat that.

I don't suppose you'll find out if they are going to eat the carpet until they are there. Mine were fine for 3 months and then decided carpet was really tasty! :roll:

As long as the room is bunny proof there's no reason why they couldn't stay out at night. As long as you trust them not to eat the carpet or similar. There's a few people here with bunnies who have their own room I think.

My buns has free r un of the house when we are home, but he goes in his cage at night & when we are out. Often even when he has free roam, we find him happy lay out in his cage. But.... He has dug holes & eaten the carpet in random spots around the house 😮

Back