• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sky's nest

ridley

Warren Scout
Decided to check on the buns closed off hutch area this morning and seen that Sky has been busy building a nest...

skynest6614_zpscf352143.jpg

I know that Marshall has been done and Sky hasnt- and when i talked to the rescue about this, they said as a policy they dont do the females because its a very invasive and risky op and its only a "school of thought" that it prolongs their life if they are spayed.

Im in two minds about this. Should i get her done? Will this be an issue to her or is nest making just something that will continue and do her no harm?

My sister has always has female rabbits (always sisters or half sisters) and never had one spayed and all lived to 8/9 years old with no problems.

Or is it best for her???!

Advice please!!! x

It isn't a school of though :shock: research has shown that over 80% of girlies will have uterine cancer by the age of 5.

One off my childhood buns was an overweight unspayed female. By the time she was skinny enough to spay it was too late :cry: I can tell you it is a vile illness. I think it was last year someone on here spayed their 3 year old girl and found her riddled with cancer, it was pure luck that they spayed her when they did and I don't think the cancer had spread beyond the womb!

Plus an unspayed girl can be very hormonal and that can be stressful. Sky is (hopefully) going through a phantom pregnancy, imagine all the hormones of pregnancy so much so that you believe you are about to give birth and prepare a lovely nest for the babies, only to never have them and not understand why :(

I am pretty sure that every rescue on here spays all their rabbits, I would say that now it is 'best practice' rather than a 'school of thought'.

It isn't a school of though :shock: research has shown that over 80% of girlies will have uterine cancer by the age of 5.

One off my childhood buns was an overweight unspayed female. By the time she was skinny enough to spay it was too late :cry: I can tell you it is a vile illness. I think it was last year someone on here spayed their 3 year old girl and found her riddled with cancer, it was pure luck that they spayed her when they did and I don't think the cancer had spread beyond the womb!

Plus an unspayed girl can be very hormonal and that can be stressful. Sky is (hopefully) going through a phantom pregnancy, imagine all the hormones of pregnancy so much so that you believe you are about to give birth and prepare a lovely nest for the babies, only to never have them and not understand why :(

I am pretty sure that every rescue on here spays all their rabbits, I would say that now it is 'best practice' rather than a 'school of thought'.

This exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get her spayed, apart from the health benefits already covered it can be very frustrating for her to keep having false pregnancies. It also wont be much fun for you as they can be very stroppy when their hormones are raging like that.

What a weird thing for a rescue to say. The girls op is more risky than the boys but if you get a good rabbit savvy vet there shouldn't be any problems. Leaving aside the health benefits being spayed will make her easier to litter tray and you don't want her hormones to effect her bond with Marshall.

I think your bunnies are inside but if she were outside I'm sure I've read about instances where does have got pregnant from a wild bunny in the garden!

To me the health benefits outway the risk or the operation. Plus having the hormones that go with a false pregnancy must be so frustrating for poor Sky

I was assuming that the rescue waited until the male was safe before bonding and that she hadn't been in contact with other fertile males, but I guess given the poor advise on spaying that may be a dangerous assumption. Maybe you should check with the rescue when he was neutered and when they were bonded.

I was assuming that the rescue waited until the male was safe before bonding and that she hadn't been in contact with other fertile males, but I guess given the poor advise on spaying that may be a dangerous assumption. Maybe you should check with the rescue when he was neutered and when they were bonded.

That was my worry too. Fingers crossed its just a phantom pregnancy, but definitely get her spayed.

That was my worry too. Fingers crossed its just a phantom pregnancy, but definitely get her spayed.

Well, they have been at the rescue for 5 months so im assuming she hasnt had kits whilst at the rescue???!

I will ring the rescue and find out! thanks x

Back