PDA

View Full Version : Getting Amy Spayed- Update: The Stitches Saga

SJ_R
05-06-2014, 09:42 PM
(Mods, wasn't sure if to place here or in Health; please do move if in the wrong place, sorry)

Hello! So, after six months after first getting her (and her being five months old then, Amy is now about eleven months old), things have finally settled down enough here that we can finally arrange to get her spayed; I'm going to call tomorrow and see if we can get in on the 24th or 25th (my father has blocked these days off so we'll have no guests in or any work to do; if we cannot get it on one of those days, well, we'll sort something out). However, as this is my first major operation on a rabbit I have, and Amy is my sweet little darling, I am more than a little nervous (I know that it's not very dangerous, she's quite healthy etc, but I will worry regardless), so I have many, many questions and advice to ask for, about the operation, and care both before and after, if you don't mind. I want to do this right, to have it all go as smoothly as possible for Amy.

I found this page, http://rabbit.org/faq-spaying-and-neutering/ quite useful, particularly the questions to ask when making the appointment. Does anyone have any ideas of any other questions I should ask? Anything to make sure of? This is information I need quite soon.

I've heard a few other pieces of advice; I should add that she is also not vaccinated, and that getting vaccinated at the same time as spaying makes them feel poorly. When should I arrange for the vaccinations? When the stitches come out?

I have heard it best to send some pellets and favourite greens/herbs along with the bun so they start eating right away; should I include hay, and since Amy loves just about all the food, it is all her favourite, is there any specifics I should avoid, anything easy on the tummy to suggest? Anything else to send with her?

I have a non slip bowl for water, because I've heard it's easier to drink from than a bottle post-spay, some Oxbrow Critical Care Fine Grind, syringes, a Snugglesafe heat pad, and have ordered a soft sleeping pad (http://www.deemillen.co.uk/snuggle-p-12057.html), she loves to flop on everything, and a blanket (I plan on sleeping with it so it smells like me, then sending it with her to the vet's; is this a good idea?). She has a Catit Cabrio Carrier with a bunvelope (https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/188551098/cotton-bun-velope-soft-quilted-carrier?ref=related-0) inside. In her XXL dog crate there is a wooden handmade house, her hay box and a plastic litter tray (alongside toys). Is there anything else anyone can think of?

Now, about exercise; Amy gets out for exercise in my bun proofed room during the day, and then through the living room on the couch for snuggles in the evening (I am very lucky in the Amy LOVES to come through the be petted/snuggled/generally made a fuss of; she is currently keeping my feet warm at the end of the recliner); I pick her up and carry her for this. How soon until we can resume normal exercise, and, particularly, cuddles? I don't want to stress her either physically or mentally; she does not, naturally, particularly like being picked up, I try to do it as carefully and infrequently as possible, and sometimes she needs some coaxing, but as soon as we're on the couch, she's all over me for attention, licking my hands and sitting on me. I have a canvas pop up playpen (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easipet-Fabric-Play-Extra-Large-Green/dp/B004D9VWCE/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1401997302&sr=1-3&keywords=playpen+xl) I use with the chinchilla; can I use this with her for the first few days?

What should I do for her cage? I mean, do I line it with newspaper like normal, or go for old towels/blankets? She loves to chew and tear up the paper.

I think this is all I can think of for now, but I will most like have more questions, so watch this space. Thank you in advance very much for any help.

tonibun
06-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Hi there. I have had many bunnies spayed so I know how worrying it is. I assume your Vet does many rabbit neuters which helps the worry. My Vets are excellent in this area so I have had no problems.

I would get your bunny vaccinated now so she will be covered by the time she is spayed.

I normally just send some spring greens in with mine, not a lot just in the hopes they may be interested, some Vets like to ensure the rabbit is eating and pooing before sending them home. I wouldn't send any pellets as they invariably won't eat them for a day or two post spay.

Personally I wouldn't put a blanket in the carrier but that is your preference. I just put newspaper in.

She will need at least 3 days of rest with no jumping or running around, I usually wait for a week as it does no harm to be quiet and the rabbit should be healing nicely by then.

You can put towels, blankets or newspaper in her cage, some Vets say no hay but ours don't worry about that now. Obviously shavings are a no-no as they could stick to the wound.

She will take up to 3 days to start eating and pooing normally, some recover more quickly than others.

She will be given 3 injections one an antibiotic, one for pain relief and one to help to get her gut moving. The Vet may also give you some pain relief to take home with you. A lot of owners specifically ask for some.

susie bun
06-06-2014, 02:54 PM
I don't have any experience of having bunnies spayed as I only have a boy rabbit, but best of luck to Amy when you book her in.

SJ_R
07-06-2014, 12:25 AM
Thank you for the advice and good vibes.

SJ_R
09-06-2014, 02:21 PM
I really don't mean to be rude or attention seeking, but, well, I was expecting more sources of advice, y'know, to hear from more experienced rabbit owners just what I should do, and although I do not doubt tonibun, surely someone could back up or add to that advice? I'll be honest with you, the main reason I ever joined this forum, other than wanting to be a better rabbit owner in general, was to ask for help with this specifically. All I want to do is to help my rabbit through a major operation best I can. I need, and appreciate, all the advice I can get.

cpayne
09-06-2014, 02:40 PM
Hi

Sorry I missed this post. Doughnut was spayed and I collected her at 6.00pm. They shouldn't give her back to you until she has eaten and toileted.

Doughnut didn't want any pellets and I was upset in the morning when she hadn't eaten any but they prefer fresh food. Get herbs and also fresh grass if you can. Definitely give lots of hay.

Make sure you come home with some pain relief. She had metacam for the next 5 days. Gave it to her twice a day. They have an injection which lasts 24 hours so you start the pain relief the following morning. She was fine, not in pain at all but quiet although as soon as I got her home she jumped on a shelf! I was worried but all OK and was told she needed hutch rest for 24 hours, so as not to break the stitches. She also had antibotics.

A drinking bowl is a good idea, as it's easier for them. Doughnut hate being picked up so I just put the medicine on a tiny bit of weetabix and she was fine with that.

I would ask the vets when you get the stitches out about the vaccinations, they will know when a good time is. I would make sure she has fully recovered though as like you said it's a big op.

As for cuddles I would leave it until she comes to you, you will soon know when she is feeling better. Maybe lots of strokes on her level if she comes over, otherwise I would let her be.

Let me know what your other concerns are.

tashp90
09-06-2014, 03:16 PM
I missed this too.

I've had all 3 of mine spayed, and all 3 recovered at different rates.

Marble - because Marble is quite big (4.5kg) she had fluids during surgery which helped her recover quickly. She was eating straight away and wolfed everything, but was very quiet in herself for 3-4 days. I had to ask the vet to up her metacam as I felt she was in pain and wasn't getting enough pain relief.

Maizie - she only weighs around 1.5kg so no fluids. She didn't eat at the vets, but I agreed with them to bring her home as both myself and the vet thought it was due to stress. When we got home, she was nibbling little bits but not much. She was spayed on Friday, and was back to her normal self yesterday.

Daisy - she had me worried the most. She also didn't eat at the vets but came home with Maizie. Her surgery took slightly longer than Maizies so put the long recovery down to that.

With both Maizie and Daisy I was up all night syringe feeding them critical care every hour as they would only take 0.3-0.5ml at a time. As of Saturday afternoon they were both feeling much better and are back to their normal selves.

We had a follow up appointment on Saturday, and we have another one today. The vet nurse has also phoned everyday to see how they are, and to reassure me that the OOH vet was available if I needed advice (particularly Friday night).

Ideally the vet won't send a rabbit home until they have eaten and pooped, but if you're confident in syringe feeding, and care at home, they may allow the bun home if they feel that being hospitalised will stress the rabbit.

I sent pellets, herbs, and readi grass with my two as the vet had their own hay there.

As for lifting/carrying, I wouldn't. I've only picked my two up to wrap them in a blanket for syringe feeding, and even then, I was wrapping them in the blanket on the floor first.

Exercise - I was advised to restrict their area for the first 48 hours, and then to ensure that there was nothing for them to jump on. His was difficult as they free range my living room. I moved all of the toys etc that they can jump on out of the room, and have pulled my sofa out into a bed (it's a sofa bed) so they can't jump on that.

In the litter trays I've used puppy pads and had hay in a rack above it. This works for mine as they don't eat or chew paper etc. If she does, then I would have a couple of old towels to hand.

If shes indoors, you probably won't need the snugglesafe heat pad, Daisy felt a bit cold to me so I wrapped her in the blanket and cuddled her which warmed her up.

I can't think of anything else to tell you, but if you have any questions ill try my best to answer :thumb:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

SJ_R
10-06-2014, 03:33 AM
Thank you for the advice! It eases my mind a little to know what to do somewhat. I'm too tired at this moment to think of anything else; I think that almost everything has been covered by now. I haven't managed to call the vet's just yet; I should say that from what I've heard from family friends and how they've handled Lucky, the dog, they aren't excellent. They're competent, and the only vet's in a small town (the next nearest one a town over and a half hour drive away), and not the worst vet's, but you they won't just easily tell you things, you have to insist upon asking questions. Last I heard, the only one with a decent bedside manner was a nice Belgian or German (not clear on which) vet that only works part time; do hope we end up with him, he sounds very qualified and very friendly/caring.

I used to give my first rabbit, Baby, painkillers (she had genetic malocclusion) orally if not on her food; I think I can adjust to syringe feeding Amy. She is a real good eater, just loves her food and putting anything she can in her mouth to chew, particularly drinking straws...

Sam and Truffs
10-06-2014, 07:33 AM
Make sure the vet sends you home with painkillers - insist on this, as most of the problems that you see on here regarding spays, and that I had before I knew better, are due to them not being given enough pain relief. I have 4 girls so they've all been spayed. It's likely she'll go for pellets last when she starts eating again. What often tempts them is something smelly like herbs, and if she isn't drinking you can dip it in water lightly. All mine took at least 3 days to start to get back to normal, just make sure she's eating something to keep her gut moving.
I would also get her vaccinated quickly now.
Best of luck, I'm sure she'll be fine, she's lucky to have an owner who cares about her so much.

Zoobec
10-06-2014, 07:38 AM
I would only ever have a rabbit spayed at a rabbit savvy vets, if you are in any doubt about the ability of yours then I would look for a different vets.

When I had Apricot and Ginger spayed, I asked for them to have subcutaneous fluids and a gut stimulant to help their recovery, I also had metacam to give them at home. They were very quiet the first evening, but ate grass and dandelion leaves I had picked for them, some rosemary I had clipped for them, and they ate their pellets and readigrass overnight. Normally they're very good hay eaters but they went off it a bit for a day or too, but as they were eating plenty of forage and readigrass I didn't mind.

Mine are outside bunnies but I had them indoors for a week, I had newspaper on the floor, hay in a rack, so that none got stuck in their wound, and only a low litter tray with newspaper only in it so they didn't catch their wound. For looking at the wound, as mine are hyperactive and don't flop on their sides when I'm around much :lol: I would offer something tasty held high enough up so they had to reach up slightly for it, so I could have a quick look at their wound.

A few bunnies nibble at their wound, if they have to wear those plastic buster collars as a last resort it will mean they can't eat their caecal poos. A better option would be some kind of t shirt or you can buy them on the internet. Mine never bothered with their wounds though.

SJ_R
19-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Not sure if anyone will still be paying attention to this, but a tentative date is set for the 15 July due to circumstances. She'll get a check over, and if everything is okay she'll go ahead and get spayed; if not, well, we'll deal with it. She's a bit chubby but mostly healthy.

Zoobec
19-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Hope the op goes well :thumb:

cpayne
19-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Good luck, at least you have prepared yourself, you can't do any more.

tulsi
19-06-2014, 10:34 PM
Best of luck on the 15th of July.

SJ_R
20-06-2014, 01:08 AM
Thank you all very much indeed for all the advice and support. I (and indirectly Amy) really appreciate it.

weedug
20-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Good luck. I always get so nervous with getting any of mine neutered :oops:

I always take a good selection of foods in for them, just so they have a choice. Wild picked foods, like dandelion leaves, raspberry leaves, rose leaves, etc are often preferred. Also strong smelling herbs like basil and mint.

I always keep mine confined to a cage for at least the first night as they are often dopey from all the drugs. I didn't bother with a litter tray when they first came home, and when I was happy they could move comfortably I put a tray with just newspaper in for them.

With last girl I had neutered, I had to put a soft, slightly padded cover in her cage as she was too uncomfortable to lie down the first night without it.

At home, keep offering a variety off foods, and replace with fresh ones every couple of hours. And make sure you get pain relief to give at home for a few days afterwards. I keep my buns inside at least for one night rather than use a snugglesafe. Bun could still be dopey from the meds and not be able to move away from it if she gets too hot.

SJ_R
10-07-2014, 08:39 PM
I'm going to Pets At Home tomorrow. Is there anything there I could buy that I don't already have in preparation for Tuesday?

SJ_R
15-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Once again, not sure if anyone's still paying attention to this, but Amy is now in for her spay. Consultation went well; the vet was a nice lady, knew her stuff, though she told me they didn't do many spays, mostly castrations (which could probably have been shared over the phone, but never mind), that they hadn't seen a case of uterus cancer up there, and that it was high risk but they would do their best (I did have to sign something, a waiver I think, however). Left her with her carrier and her food; she'll come back with that and her painkillers. She'll get her claws cut there, they needed a trim, and have her vaccinations in a couple of weeks at a check up. Stitches are the dissolving kind. She did say it would cost around 100, if anyone's doing a survey on how these prices vary. I've to call around two. I'm going to sit for a bit and then clean her cage and get it ready for her.

Thank you all again for the advice.

dumblepaws
15-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Was wondering how that went

She'll feel really really sorry for herself when you get her back so try not to feel to despondent for the first 24 hours and let her recover. She'll probably start eating a little bit overnight so make sure she has stuff available

Good luck x

tonibun
15-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Sending vibes that Amy will come through her operation well with no problems. Please keep her quiet when back home, she will probably not be interested in her pellets but some do nibble a bit of grass or Spring Greens. Some don't want to eat anything until the next morning. Don't worry, they all recover over different periods. I would cover her cage to give her more privacy and security. The painkillers they give her will last until tomorrow. Please let us know how Amy is recovering. This is a very good Forum for caring advice as we have rabbits' welfare at heart.

Fellie
15-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Loads of vibes for Amy - and for you too - it's a worrying time. We've had 4 girls spayed now and all recovered at different rates, the shortest being Harley who was back to normal within 24 hours, and the longest was Cheyenne who took a good 2 weeks before she was 100% back to herself. It took them all at least 12 hours before they were interested in food -and even then it was just the odd bits of tried dandelion leaf.

One thing I did which I think helped keep the gut moving - and the poops coming - was after 24 hours I let them out for a brief run around the lounge - they all popped out of their hutches/pens for just a few minutes, stretched their legs and then came back - and it seemed to help them. It was entirely their own choice though - at no point did I force them out.

Do insist on pain meds though - for some weird reason my vets won't give them and last time I had a real fight, insisting I take some home - I won that battle thank goodness and it was well worth getting stroppy.

Keep letting us know how she is getting on.:thumb:

cpayne
15-07-2014, 02:45 PM
Good luck, she probably won't want her pellets so don't worry when she doesn't. They normally want fresh food.

Just keep an eye on her, you will know when she is in pain but hopefully it will be painfree if you keep giving the metacam. I had trouble syringe feeding Doughnut so I just put the medicine on a tiny bit of weetabix which she loved. It was less stressful for both of us and also meant I didn't have to be careful of the stitches. The first lot of medicine was the following morning.

SJ_R
15-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Called the vet's; Amy's doing fine, she got through it okay, they're just waiting for her to start eating and said to call again at four.

Thank you all for the vibes; I've set up her cage with her soft bed, her hidey bed (that she never hides in, only flops on), hay in her hay box where it won't be messy, pellets with a forage garnish and a couple of her biscuits (she goes crazy for those biscuits), some greens/herbs (got carrots with green tops Friday; made carrot oatmeal cookies and chopped up the tops), her water bottle, and a water bowl. She has a blanket I've been sleeping with to make it smell line me with her at the vet's that will go with her when she's back.

They did say to give the metacam (though it's under a different name up here, like how Prozac is the corporate name, not the real name) tomorrow; I did mention the forum and how helpful you all were and how I was advised to ask questions and get painkillers. Whilst they did say that an intact female and a castrated male would be fine as they didn't do spays often because of the risk (and some people probably put off by the cost), they do seem quite competent. 8/10, I'd say.

I'll probably sit with her for a bit when she's home, for comfort and reassurance (don't ask for whom). I don't want to fuss and distress her, but I'll keep a close eye with frequent checks. I'm mostly hoping that Kurt, when he gets out tomorrow, is good and quiet; I don't want him to bite me, me tell hi off fir it and upset Amy in the process.

I mostly want to nap right now.

Fellie
15-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Called the vet's; Amy's doing fine, she got through it okay, they're just waiting for her to start eating and said to call again at four.

Thank you all for the vibes; I've set up her cage with her soft bed, her hidey bed (that she never hides in, only flops on), hay in her hay box where it won't be messy, pellets with a forage garnish and a couple of her biscuits (she goes crazy for those biscuits), some greens/herbs (got carrots with green tops Friday; made carrot oatmeal cookies and chopped up the tops), her water bottle, and a water bowl. She has a blanket I've been sleeping with to make it smell line me with her at the vet's that will go with her when she's back.

They did say to give the metacam (though it's under a different name up here, like how Prozac is the corporate name, not the real name) tomorrow; I did mention the forum and how helpful you all were and how I was advised to ask questions and get painkillers. Whilst they did say that an intact female and a castrated male would be fine as they didn't do spays often because of the risk (and some people probably put off by the cost), they do seem quite competent. 8/10, I'd say.

I'll probably sit with her for a bit when she's home, for comfort and reassurance (don't ask for whom). I don't want to fuss and distress her, but I'll keep a close eye with frequent checks. I'm mostly hoping that Kurt, when he gets out tomorrow, is good and quiet; I don't want him to bite me, me tell hi off fir it and upset Amy in the process.

I mostly want to nap right now.

Ah - I am so pleased she came through the spay okay - that phone call is always a relief:thumb: And it sounds like you're very prepared for you little pampered princess :love: Loads of vibes for her continued recovery.

SJ_R
15-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Called again; she's fine, we're picking her up at five. She's probably missing me; I know I am.

SJ_R
15-07-2014, 05:07 PM
This is what the cage now looks like:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/stef_rotherham/imagejpg2-5.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/stef_rotherham/imagejpg1-7.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/stef_rotherham/imagejpg5-4.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/stef_rotherham/imagejpg4-4.jpg

Clare-uk
15-07-2014, 06:26 PM
Hiya, sorry missed this thread too. I had two girls done this year and was so nervous for them. My experiences were that they were both quiet but by late that evening they were coming round & starting to nibble at their favourite herbs. I had to syringe feed recovery to both of them that night & also I offered water in a syringe which they both were happy to drink straight from the syringe (no needle in it obviously) main thing with rabbits is keep they tummies working so keep an eye on input and output.

My girls poops were quite small & dark to start with but soon went back to normal.

Though they are outside buns I had them indoors on complete rest for a week as per vets advice. Your set up looks comfy though I would worry about those boxes as Amy may be tempted to jump on them. Instead of providing cover inside the cage could you put a small sheet over the top of one end to make her feel more enclosed?

Vibes for her recovery :)

Zoobec
15-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Hi, hope Amy is home and recovering well :thumb: I agree with Claire-uk about the boxes, you don't want anything in there that she can jump on until she is fully recovered.

tonibun
15-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Yes I agree, best not to have anything to jump on for a week.

SJ_R
15-07-2014, 06:53 PM
We're back. Amy is quiet and not very happy (I think she's in the huff with me, actually) and took a little time to go to her cage from the carrier but has lain down and seems alright. They have me a cone of shame- small one- in case she goes for her stitches, an info sheet and Loxicom (or Meloxicam) to be given orally (or on food) once a day for a week. She hasn't eaten yet; if she still hasn't in a few hours, I might give her some Oxbrow fine grind, just to know she has something in her. I think she's still mostly asleep; I'll stay with her until dinner and check on her after.

SJ_R
15-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Amy now:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/stef_rotherham/imagejpg2-7.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/stef_rotherham/imagejpg1-9.jpg

SJ_R
15-07-2014, 07:29 PM
She's drinking some water now.

SJ_R
15-07-2014, 07:32 PM
And now flopped again.

SJ_R
15-07-2014, 10:01 PM
She's not moved much, just to loaf rather than flop, and although she's drinking I don't think she's eaten. She seems very sleepy. I don't think she's pooed. The last thing I am certain she ate was just over twelve hours ago now. If she hasn't eaten in another three, I'll give her the Oxbrow mush.

SJ_R
15-07-2014, 11:22 PM
She's done a nice big pee, in her litter tray too; no poo, but I'm quite certain she ate some greens and is moving about a bit now.

Zoobec
15-07-2014, 11:27 PM
When I had my girls spayed they were quite dozy in the evening, I think its normal for bunnies to go off pellets but mine arent normal, mine went off hay for a couple of days. I tempted them with dandelion leaves, herbs, readigrass and pellets. It's good she's drank and had some greens, I'd keep offering her favourite foods by hand if necessary and see if you can tempt her :thumb:

SJ_R
16-07-2014, 01:10 AM
I replaced her old greens with fresh ones and found a very small, hard poo beside her. She hasn't eaten much more; I'm a little surprised she hasn't nibbled her biscuits. She loves those biscuits, goes absolutely gaga over them. She's mostly keeping to that one corner, so everything is in reach.

We'll be going shopping tomorrow; do you think it would it would be okay to get a carrot and give her a wee bit? Or is that too much?

SJ_R
16-07-2014, 03:00 AM
She's pooed! She did a big, soft sticky poo when I went in to talk to her. Picture to come!

ETA: Poop pic- sorry about poor quality; quick snap on iPhone. I was quite surprised that she's mannered enough to do it in her tray, but she took the few steps over.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/stef_rotherham/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg

tashp90
16-07-2014, 03:03 AM
Only just seen this thread.

When mine were spayed, I had quite a bit of trouble with getting Daisy to eat, I was syringe feeding her, and was giving her anything and everything that I knew she liked! I had success with ellas kitchen baby food, and herbs :thumb: Maizie and Daisy weren't interested in pellets etc for quite a few days afterwards.

Glad she's pooing :thumb: certainly means she's on the mend :D

SJ_R
16-07-2014, 03:57 AM
I'm going to bed now. I'll give her a little more greens and see how she is in the morning.

TheBinkyBunny
16-07-2014, 07:56 AM
As most people no when I had Skye spayed she was at the vets for nearly 3 days as she had been refusing to eat or go to the toilet. It was a worrying time but I am glad I got her spayed as Skye's and pepsi's bond is a lot stronger now

tonibun
16-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Hope Amy is feeling a little brighter this morning, they love some grass after their op, is it possible to pick some? Don't worry if she is still uninterested in eating properly today, she just needs to be kept quiet.

Fellie
16-07-2014, 10:09 AM
It can take a bit of time for them to start being interested in food properly again - took Cheyenne 2 weeks after her spay.

Hope Amy is feeling a bit better this morning.

cpayne
16-07-2014, 01:47 PM
I picked Doughnut up about 6pm and she didn't start eating really until the following day at about 1pm, just to give you an idea! As long as a little something is going in and out to keep the gut going. I also gave her fibreplex when she was spayed. She loved the taste as it's carrotty and it keeps the gut moving, so you could always try that.

Maybe some fresh grass as well to tempt her. At least you have the metacam so she will be kept pain free.

SJ_R
16-07-2014, 03:22 PM
She was a bit brighter this morning. She did a few more squishy poos before I was in bed, and there were some small normal looking ones today. I don't think she ate much more; I'll give her some fresh greens, pellets and water and change her tray in a bit and see if I can pick some grass from the garden. Not sure if we're going shopping today; if we are, I'll get some yummy greens and weetabix. Not entirely sure how I'll get to check the wound and give her the painkillers yet, but we'll manage.

tonibun
16-07-2014, 03:28 PM
She sounds like she is recovering well. You can put the Metacam on a little piece of Weetabix. Have you got to go for a 2-day check tomorrow?

SJ_R
16-07-2014, 04:27 PM
She sounds like she is recovering well. You can put the Metacam on a little piece of Weetabix. Have you got to go for a 2-day check tomorrow?

No; they said to take her in for a check in ten to fourteen days. The stitches are the dissolving kind. I'll arrange for her vaccinations at that time too.

This might be an odd question, but will her dewlap go away? I think she's a little overweight, so I'll be reducing her pellets and biscuits once she's back to normal, but is one year too old for it to disappear post spay? I'm in two minds about how it makes her look; when she's loafing it's like a cute in built pillow, but when she's moving about it's sticking out and is a bit unappealing. Not that my baby isn't the cutest rabbit in the world ever, of course, but I've just never really liked the look of dewlaps.

SJ_R
16-07-2014, 05:06 PM
Well, she must be feeling better, as she decided to rip the old newspaper in her litter tray as I was changing it, then sat on the fresh one and looked at me as if to say 'now what?'

I've given her some broken up crackers and digestives; I'll see about getting grass in a little while, as mum has gone up to the vet's to get the dog's ashes and her sand dad have literally just come home.

SJ_R
16-07-2014, 05:40 PM
She has some grass now.

SJ_R
16-07-2014, 06:26 PM
She made the most hilariously disgusted reaction when I gave her the painkillers. She didn't want to take them at first, but I just did a quick squirt in her mouth. Lost a couple of drops but most of it got in. She's done a few more poos as well.

SJ_R
17-07-2014, 03:58 AM
She's eaten some grass and a biscuit now, and her poos are normal.

Zoobec
17-07-2014, 07:28 AM
Sounds like she is starting to feel better now :thumb:

cpayne
17-07-2014, 09:48 AM
Yay sounds like she is getting back to normal. I think Doughnut fancied her pellets after about 3 days, until then it was fresh herbs, grass and hay.

SJ_R
17-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Amy's doing okay; though, sadly, I woke this morning to find my chinchilla, Kurt, dead. He was about eighteen months, we've had him just over a year, and I have no :censored: idea why he died; something hormonal, a brain tumour maybe, or just plain old heatstroke. Between this and the dog having to be euthanised on the Fourth, I just don't know, though Amy did give me some kisses.

tonibun
17-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Pleased Amy is feeling a little better but sorry about your Chinni and dog. :( Sending vibes that Amy continues to recover.

dumblepaws
17-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Huge hugs re kurt & your dog - must be a horrible time

Glad Amy's on the mend though x

Lady Logamorph
17-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Glad she is feeling a bit better....very stressful when they are spayed

SJ_R
17-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Thank you for the vibes. Amy's feeling well enough to start chewing the newspaper up and be mischievous. I'll refresh her water bowl and greens in a bit.

Clare-uk
17-07-2014, 07:58 PM
How's Amy doing today? I know I felt bad when my two girls were sitting there looking poorly. Hope she is eating better today, lots more vibes :)

Clare-uk
17-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Sorry was typing a reply then your other posts appeared, I'm really sorry to hear about Kurt & your dog. Run free at the bridge little ones x

Sometimes things seem to come all at once, stay strong, hugs

SJ_R
18-07-2014, 04:32 AM
Do you think it would be alright if I let Amy out in the playpen a while tomorrow? I suddenly have a lot more free time.

tonibun
18-07-2014, 10:08 AM
she mustn't be allowed to jump onto anything but a little bit of exercise should be all right. Has Amy had a 2-day check?

SJ_R
18-07-2014, 04:27 PM
I think she's been biting at her stitches. I have a cone of shame but she's being very grumpy with me and I don't want to hurt her putting it on. What should I do?

Clare-uk
18-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Keep a really close eye on her & if she is chewing them she will probably need to wear the cone as it really needs to heal.

tonibun
18-07-2014, 09:57 PM
I would take her for a check, my last spayed rabbit removed 2 of her stitches and had to be stapled.

SJ_R
18-07-2014, 10:49 PM
Well, I put the playpen next to her cage, connected the doors, and let her out. She bounced around a while, then started going for her stitches again. I told her off, and she is so mortally offended that she's spent half the time in her cage. She's in the huff with me now. Good news is that she's started to eat her pellets now; if she finishes the bowl I'll go back to her regular feeding schedule. She really doesn't like the taste of the painkillers either, she got pretty ,ad at me for that too.

Zoobec
19-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Echo getting her checked in case she has removed any stitches. There's a kind of bunny "onsie" you can get, see this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?422123-Spay-day-Weds-14-May-14-U-D-Call-the-fashion-police!-42/page5 that might be better than the cone of shame, plus she would still be able to get to eat her ceacatrophes

tonibun
19-07-2014, 10:30 AM
You could put her Metacam on a piece of Weetabix. Have you checked the wound at all?

SJ_R
19-07-2014, 08:12 PM
Taken her through to the couch for a little while, since she's almost back to eating normally and seems to be a bit stir crazy. Took some pictures of her stitches on my phone; uploading them now.

SJ_R
19-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Stitches:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/stef_rotherham/Mobile%20Uploads/image-1.jpg

SJ_R
19-07-2014, 08:43 PM
And now she's throwing a tantrum.

tonibun
19-07-2014, 09:04 PM
I've asked Jane if she will have a look as your rabbit looks diferent to mine after spay.

SJ_R
19-07-2014, 09:16 PM
I've asked Jane if she will have a look as your rabbit looks diferent to mine after spay.

Thank you. It doesn't look inflamed to me, and I don't think she's pulled anything out yet. I'm not too sure what the dark thing at the bottom is; looks like a scab to me, but I could be completely wrong. My mother was the one taking the actual pictures as I held her up, and couldn't get it too close. Amy loves being cuddled and sitting on my lap, but hates being picked up or held, and I didn't want to stress her out. The only way to get a very close look would be to trance, which I of course don't want to do.

I've been keeping an eye on her; it takes about five Mississipi's for her to eat her soft poos, and she only licks it during normal washing, or her flanks and feet as well. I'll probably call the vet tomorrow for any advice they can give other than the cone; I do like the ides of a tube bandage or shirt sleeve, but it is very low down her body and voila be difficult to cover.

Just a reminder; the stitches are the dissolving kind, and we are to go back for a check up (and vaccinations) in ten to fourteen days. I've been giving her painkillers every day at five since Wednesday, she's eating most of her pellets though I don't think she's back to eating hay yet.

SJ_R
19-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Something I've just remembered: a week or so ago, before the spay, I found some fur she'd pulled out in a pile by her cage; she's also shedding, but this was quite a bit, and because it was white and I couldn't find any bald spots, I assumed she'd plucked some from her dewlap/chest. And now earlier, when I went to give her the painkillers, I found a similar though slightly larger pile by her cage again, white and fluffy. Not sure where that came from; could she be taking some from her tummy due to discomfort, or something?

Alibunmum
19-07-2014, 09:28 PM
That looks neat, tidy and fine to my untrained eye. Often they use internal stitches but here there are external ones. Doesn't look like she has been annoying them much and the skin is a nice pink colour. If it has been a few days chances are she will heal just fine now.

She will hopefully be back to herself soon.

Jack's-Jane
19-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Looks as though she may have nibbled some sutures out, but there will also be subcutaneous ones and the wound appears to be healing OK.

The fur pulling may be hormonal, sounds as though she has been having pseudo-pregnancies. Her hormones will take a few weeks to calm down.

SJ_R
19-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Looks as though she may have nibbled some sutures out, but there will also be subcutaneous ones and the wound appears to be healing OK.

The fur pulling may be hormonal, sounds as though she has been having pseudo-pregnancies. Her hormones will take a few weeks to calm down.

She had at least one not long after I first got her; I saw her nesting but no fur pulling. Would probably explain her current moodiness.

That's a relief; thank you. I'll try and check them often and nudge her to stop when I catch her doing it. I'm putting her back now as I need to go in the shower.

Tuckerbunnies
19-07-2014, 10:05 PM
I had two spayed on Friday and I have them on vet bed with some hay in and a fleece over the top of their indoor cage although at the moment it's quite humid. One of them Alice a tiny nethie just started to eat properly last night and the other one Pebbles has eaten half her breakfast today. Both look very unhappy but then it's a big op and they will be very sore for a few days and we are just giving them some pain relief. I'm keeping them in their indoor cages while they are healing and I'm hoping by tomorrow they are better than today. I've also checked their op site's on them both today to make sure they have no infections and it all looked nice and clean.

I find that very few eat the same day as their op especially the females , most will eat later on the following day and some can take up to 3-4 days to eat but we usually have started syringe feeding by then :)

SJ_R
20-07-2014, 08:09 PM
Taken her out now for a bit, sitting beside me quietly. Watching Monty Python now.

tonibun
20-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Glad Amy is doing well xx

SJ_R
21-07-2014, 09:27 PM
She was very bad last night, biting at the stitches constantly and then me when I told her to stop. Even put on the cone of shame for a few minutes to see if she would settle, but she just struggled and tried to take it off. Had a look/took pictures today; pictures were too blurry to get a good look, but I think she took more out. Gonna call the vet's tomorrow, see what's what, though considering my dad needs to go to hospital tomorrow, might not get her in until Wednesday.

tonibun
21-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Oh dear! I hope she will be all right.

Clare-uk
23-07-2014, 12:54 AM
How's Amy today, have you had a chance to see her stitches better? I hope she hasn't pulled any out

Vegan_Bunny
23-07-2014, 01:08 AM
Could the wound be bothering her? Possibly ask if you can up her metacam or give her two doses. I find that the pain relief runs out after 12 hours. When Shadowfax was spayed she would be quite bright whilst her pain relief was in effect but as soon as the 12 hours was nearly up, she would start showing signs of pain. This lasted for about a week..but I think she was quite sensitive about it all. I let her out of her cage for an hour or so a day after a couple of days being confined, she would only hop about for a few minutes and then lay down on a towel I put down for her. It took her about a week to really start acting like her usual self, so don't panic too much. (I was a total mess when I got her done and was worried about every tiny thing!)

SJ_R
23-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Her painkillers were for a week, finished (though some still left over) yesterday. I'll be checking the stitches again when dad gets home from the hospital, most likely calling the vet and seeing if I should take her in or not; I still need to make an appointment for her check up, ten yo fourteen days after spay, anyway.

tonibun
23-07-2014, 04:15 PM
I'm so glad we have 2 day check ups at my Vets as it is so reassuring to know everything is ok.

SJ_R
23-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Took another look; doesn't seem inflamed, though a bit pink, and what looks like puss. Can't quite tell if it's been opened or not. Impossible to take a new picture; she's very squirmy and kicky, and actually hit mum in the face yesterday, so here's an older one, day before yesterday, I think:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/stef_rotherham/Mobile%20Uploads/image-9.jpg

It looks a lot cleaner now.

Clare-uk
23-07-2014, 08:26 PM
That does look infected to me, I would take her back to the vets as she will pick at it more if it's irritating her.

tonibun
23-07-2014, 08:52 PM
I am sorry but that is not right. Please get he to the Vets ASAP.

tashp90
23-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Doesn't look good to me either, definitely get her checked out!

Jack's-Jane
23-07-2014, 09:38 PM
That is very abnormal. She needs to see a Vet as a matter of urgency now. It looks as though she has had a bad reaction to the suture material and it has possibly now become infected

Is she eating/drinking/pooing and weeing OK ?

How is she within herself ?

mini lop1
23-07-2014, 09:53 PM
as jane has said above looks very infected and really needs to see a vet asap

Clare-uk
24-07-2014, 11:25 AM
I've been worrying about Amy all night, have you booked her in to see a vet? It is really quite important that you do as that looks quite a nasty wound & isn't healing. Please update us :)

SJ_R
24-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Called the vet's; appointment for five tonight.

bunbuns
24-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Good luck xxx

Clare-uk
24-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Hope everything went ok at the vets. So glad you took her :)

SJ_R
24-07-2014, 07:11 PM
Back from vet's. She said that it seemed to be healing well, aside from the infection. I've to give her the Loxicom, painkiller, for a few days, and antibiotic- Baytril- twice daily for one week, and clean it with a solution, Hibiscrub, diluted to a very pale pink once daily. Should be fun(!) I've also to keep her cool, and to prevent her from licking and biting the wound. She said to use the cone, letting it off for a bit to eat her cecals once a day, though didn't object to my suggestion of using a baby vest to cover it, so long as it stays dry and doesn't stick or anything. I got a couple of sleeveless bodysuits from Tesco; I'm going to try that before the cone, unless that's a bad idea.

She's in her cage with some pellets right now; I'll see about her painkillers/antibiotics in a bit, then the cleaning and vest later.

SJ_R
24-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Having dinner (chicken kebabs); will do painkillers/antibiotics after, let her sulk a bit (she gets in the huff with me, but refuses to eat it on Weetabix), clean it, take her out for snuggles and put on the baby vest.

dumblepaws
24-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Good luck with grouchy bunny!
Hope she heals soon

SJ_R
24-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Took them quite well, although sulking now. Trying to work out where to cut holes on baby vest for tail/bum; want her to get her cecals, but not the wound. Hmm.

Cleaning it is... going to be interested. I have some 100% cotton pads; are these suitable? I don't think we have cotton wool, and so long as no fibres get stuck to it (which doesn't usually happen with these; they're Superdrug) it should be fine, right? Going to try in about ten minutes, once she likes me again.

SJ_R
24-07-2014, 09:02 PM
By the way, has anyone ever bought/used one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FFASIWM/ref=s9_simh_gw_p199_d3_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=0SCH66KEG66GKQ87H0X0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455345507&pf_rd_i=468294

Don't know if it would be worth buying.

tonibun
24-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Good luck with the cleaning - no I have never bought one of those vests. I don't think they would be very impressed. Keep her toilet area very clean to help her get over this infection.

SJ_R
24-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Not entirely sure if I did the cleansing right; basically dampened cotton pads and wiped them over the wound. Amy would only let me hold her still for about ten seconds before kicking (and scratching me in the process). Mum was supposed to help me, but was completely :censored: useless and :censored: off halfway through to sit and knit.

She has a vest on now; very much doesn't like it. Poor fit, needs to be modified. I bought two sets in different sizes, she's wearing the bigger one, which is a bit too loose on her. I'll probably try out the smaller one later. I left two of the three poppers undone. I'll need to sort it around her hips and a hole for the tail/bum.

SJ_R
24-07-2014, 10:26 PM
One unhappy bunny:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/stef_rotherham/imagejpg1-10.jpg

Shula
24-07-2014, 11:00 PM
Hi there,

I had a similar problem with my rabbit post-spay - no infection but she pulled the internal stitches out and it got a bit messy... :? I opted for a sock, and sewed a hem on the end I had trimmed to stop it fraying too much (photo below)

She wasn't happy about it (and nor was I really...) but it worked - I adjusted it once or twice a day to keep the wound covered etc.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b584/Shula_Hugo/IMG_0255_zps05a77782.jpg (http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/Shula_Hugo/media/IMG_0255_zps05a77782.jpg.html)

I hope you manage to find something that works ok :thumb:

SJ_R
24-07-2014, 11:09 PM
That looks pretty neat. I'm going to modify the small one and put her back soon; I'll check on her later, see how it's working. She's pretty much plotting her revenge for all this indignity right now.

Clare-uk
24-07-2014, 11:42 PM
Bless her, she does look a bit miffed but it's for the best.

Cotton wool should fine, as you say there aren't bits that can get caught on her. I think that as long as you can get some of the solution over the infected area that's the main thing. Don't really try to scrub it around just lightly sweep it across.

Hope it all goes well over the next few days :)

SJ_R
25-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Got the second one on much easier, after some modifications. She's back now; I'll give her the second go of antibiotics later.

Clare-uk
25-07-2014, 12:58 AM
:D glad the other one fits better, hope it stops her biting at it

SJ_R
25-07-2014, 02:50 AM
Going to give her more antibiotics in a couple of minutes. Joy.

Thank you all again for the advice :love:

Lucy-Lou
25-07-2014, 02:53 AM
Aww poor grumpy girl! She doesn't look happy at all with her little vest on :lol:

Hope she feels better soon and things start to clear up xx

tashp90
25-07-2014, 03:06 AM
Hope she's coping with the vest, and that you're prepared for a grumpy bunny for a few days!

The vests were a good call! I wouldn't have thought of using them!

Hope it's all happy healing from here :thumb:

SJ_R
25-07-2014, 03:09 PM
She seems to be alright in the vests, though she didn't want her breakfast (bunny biscuit/bit of Weetabix) this morning, though she ate all her pellets. Gonna give her the first dose of antibiotics and some painkillers soon.

SJ_R
25-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Wound cleaned, fresh vest on; not too sure about how I cut this one. The first one had some poo on it, so I cut this one higher, but I hope I didn't cut it high enough for her to get at the wound. Mum says it looks worse than yesterday, though I think it looks a little better. Very grumpy right now, even gave me a growl, though back to lucking my hands.

Clare-uk
26-07-2014, 03:27 PM
I hope Amy is getting better. You should start to see improvement now she is meds to treat the infection & your keeping it clean :) if you do think it's still not healing then take her straight back to the vets.

Healing vibes for Amy x

SJ_R
26-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Managed to slip the vest off during the night whilst I was sleeping; got it back on now, and first dose of antibiotics. Rascal. Gonna need more vests soon.

erspearson
26-07-2014, 06:50 PM
By the way, has anyone ever bought/used one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FFASIWM/ref=s9_simh_gw_p199_d3_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=0SCH66KEG66GKQ87H0X0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455345507&pf_rd_i=468294

Don't know if it would be worth buying.
Yup. Worked a treat - see

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?422123-Spay-day-Weds-14-May-14-U-D-Call-the-fashion-police!-42&p=6332737&viewfull=1#post6332737

SJ_R
26-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Wound cleaned, fresh vest and used the last of the painkillers earlier. Keeps trying to lick it through the fabric, though, and I'll be cutting her nails later. Meanwhile my parents are going out for drinks with friends.

What a fun Saturday night I'm having!

SJ_R
26-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Yup. Worked a treat - see

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?422123-Spay-day-Weds-14-May-14-U-D-Call-the-fashion-police!-42&p=6332737&viewfull=1#post6332737

Oh, that is a little hilarious and a little sad. What size is it? It doesn't say on the page. Amy is a dwarf lop, but a very large one.

erspearson
26-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Oh, that is a little hilarious and a little sad. What size is it? It doesn't say on the page. Amy is a dwarf lop, but a very large one.
I used the sizing guide at the manufacturer's website which says:
XXXS:* * Rabbit 0,6 - 0,8 kg
XXS:** * Rabbit 0,8 - 1,5 kg
XS:** * Rabbit 1,5 - 2,0 kg
S:** * Rabbit 2,0 - 3,5 kg
M:* * Rabbit 3,5 - 4,5 kg
L:* * Rabbit 4,5 - 5,5 kg

They're quite stretchy due to the Lycra content which seems to be what makes them fairly immune to bunny teeth. Sugar wore hers for two weeks and while it was looking a little tatty by the end she'd not managed a single escape from it.

If, heaven forbid, I need to put a bun through a spay again I'll be getting one of these ahead of time and delivering it and the bun together the the vet.

erspearson
26-07-2014, 10:36 PM
Forgot to mention, the Queen has been up to her impersonation tricks again:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtUiQsDIMAAKnyO.jpg

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=423559

SJ_R
27-07-2014, 05:12 AM
She somehow managed to slip another vest. Twice. In three hours.

I am being outwitted by an animal that eats its own poop.

SJ_R
27-07-2014, 09:16 PM
I used the sizing guide at the manufacturer's website which says:
XXXS:* * Rabbit 0,6 - 0,8 kg
XXS:** * Rabbit 0,8 - 1,5 kg
XS:** * Rabbit 1,5 - 2,0 kg
S:** * Rabbit 2,0 - 3,5 kg
M:* * Rabbit 3,5 - 4,5 kg
L:* * Rabbit 4,5 - 5,5 kg

They're quite stretchy due to the Lycra content which seems to be what makes them fairly immune to bunny teeth. Sugar wore hers for two weeks and while it was looking a little tatty by the end she'd not managed a single escape from it.

If, heaven forbid, I need to put a bun through a spay again I'll be getting one of these ahead of time and delivering it and the bun together the the vet.

Thank you; that is helpful. Now, if I only actually knew what she weighed...

SJ_R
27-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Wound is looking much smaller and better today, though she is still escaping her vests.

tashp90
27-07-2014, 09:18 PM
I am being outwitted by an animal that eats its own poop.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: welcome to the club :thumb:

SJ_R
28-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Nothing new, although I managed to cut her nails, which was pretty exciting...

tonibun
29-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Hoping Amy is looking much better underneath

Clare-uk
29-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Has all that infection over the wound healed more?

SJ_R
29-07-2014, 09:41 PM
This is what her wound looks like today:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/stef_rotherham/Mobile%20Uploads/image-10.jpg

She is now nuzzling and licking a towel for some reason.

Clare-uk
30-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Well that is looking a lot drier which should hopefully mean the infection is getting better :) but I'm no expert so hopefully someone else will see this and reply. Still keep a really close eye on her and keep it clean as its still got some healing to do.

How is she in herself?

tonibun
31-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Hoping Amy is looking much better now.

SJ_R
31-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Last day of the Baytril. Just cleaned the wound- well, it's just a very small scab now, less than a centimetre. I'll check it tomorrow but I don't think it needs any more.

Amy herself is mostly back to normal; apart from a mixed phase of being surprisingly quiet and rather naughty, and she seems to be eating less hay for some reason (I'll be slowly reducing her pellets), but she's binkying and flopping and licking and playing alright.

So, essentially, apart from her check-up/vaccinations next week, it's done. And I'm so glad it is! Once again, thank you all for the advice, help and support you've given me, I don't know what I would've done without it. I'm very happy to have found this forum; to tell me of the health benefits of spaying, and to help me through my first spay (might not be only, though hopefully will be; I don't want go go through this again for a long time!), and to meet such wonderful people xx :love::love:

Clare-uk
31-07-2014, 11:07 PM
As soon as I had my girls done, I said never again! It's so unbelievably stressful but the health benefits are worth it. I also found my girls are a lot cleaner now, as in they only using their litter tray as a toilet - much better than when they were spraying the floor, walls & ceiling of their hutch :shock:

You've done a great job getting her wound all cleaned up & helping her be strong & healthy again :)