• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need some adivce :-( tramadol? ? anyone used it?

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
Storm is booked into the vets for tomorrow but I needed to ask advice on here too as storm really isn't right :cry:

The other week storm needed a bum shave as he cannot seem to keep clean. It has helped him to have shorter fur down there but now he is wet, not just around his back legs but just above his tail on his lower back. His back feet are always wee stained, despite me cleaning the bunny room very regularly. I am struggling to keep him clean as it seems constant.

He seems uncomfortable. He is sitting differently. His tail is sort of under his bum, if this makes sense. He just looks odd.

We think that storm has arthritis and he has metacam for this but I think that maybe something else is going on. What could it be??

I am so worried :cry: I do not want to lose him. I have already lost gypsy and chico. I can't lose storm too. I am very scared :cry:

Last edited:
I hope the vets can give you some answers and something to make him more comfortable. Could it be the arthritis worsening as he gets older?

Is he happy in himself? That's what it always comes down to for me, the quality of life and stress that any further investigation or treatments would cause.

It could be a combination of his arthritis and maybe he has a wee urine infection too.

My Inca used to get urine infections and sore lady bits quite often. I personally would want to try antibiotics to see if it clears up any infection and maybe even up the metacam doseage to see if that helps any. He could be sitting funny as the metacam dosage is not helping enough and he is a bit sore with arthritis, then that could cause him to be wet below.

I think he just sounds like he needs some extra meds to sort him out, fingers crossed.

Ok storm is reallt wobbly today. He had trouble getting up :cry::cry::cry:

Oh god no :cry: it is gypsy all over again :cry:

Please don't let me lose another furry :cry:

It could be an ear infection Rainbow. If he has severe arthritis then grooming himself may be a big problem and this can often lead to ear infections. Ear infections can effect the Rabbit's balance. Or it may be that he now has a lot of muscle wastage from his back end, so he just wont have muscle strength to retain stability.

What time is he due at the Vets ?

He is going in at 5. It was the earliest appointment I could get.

His back legs don't seem to do what he wants them too. He is very clumsy. I can't believe this is happening :cry: his arthritis must have very suddenly got worse.
:cry:
This is heartbreaking. This time last year gypsy was healthy chico was a crazy hhyper little ball of fluff and storm was tanking around the bunny room. Now gypsy and chico are dead and storm is old and struggling :cry:

Why do we put outselves through this ? I didn't see any of it coming. :cry:

Oh no I'm sorry, poor storm. I know you will do what is best for him. Hoping its something that can be treated. ((Big hugs)) xx

Gentle (((vibes))) for Storm.xx

Wish I had something to suggest, but you are doing all the right things for him. It's hard to see our bunny companions grow older and struggle with what comes with it. Thinking of you - hope there is some positive news to follow.xx

The one bun I had who showed these symptoms turned out to have e cuniculi :( sending vibes for Storm xxx

Thank you every one.

Sarah, gypsy had ec 3 years ago. I am very worried that storm now has it. Gypsy recovered from it and lived to be 10, but I do think that the ec weakened her :cry: storm is 9. I am not sure what ec would mean for him. I have been avoiding the e word. I have been hoping that it isn't this :cry:

We are back from the vets. Storm has lost a bit of weight but they just want to monitor him for now. We have more metacam for his arthritis and panacur for possible ec. We also have tramadol. They have never used this on bunnies before so I would like to know if anyone else has used it? It is for his joints along with the metacam.

I have been told that we will never get storm back to being a young 2 year old skipping around but if we can keep him comfortable and happy that is the main thing.

I love my stormy. It is so sad to see him aging. :cry:

We are back from the vets. Storm has lost a bit of weight but they just want to monitor him for now. We have more metacam for his arthritis and panacur for possible ec. We also have tramadol. They have never used this on bunnies before so I would like to know if anyone else has used it? It is for his joints along with the metacam.

I have been told that we will never get storm back to being a young 2 year old skipping around but if we can keep him comfortable and happy that is the main thing.

I love my stormy. It is so sad to see him aging. :cry:

sending loads of vibes xxxxx

Lou at hopper haven uses tramadol, when i took holly to here she got rid of the vetergesic straight away and put her onto tramadol, it seems to work very well with buns :wave:

I have some Rabbits who have been prescribed Tramadol. It is a good analgesic for bone pain and it does not seem to cause the marked sedating effects that opiate pain killers can cause xx

I have some Rabbits who have been prescribed Tramadol. It is a good analgesic for bone pain and it does not seem to cause the marked sedating effects that opiate pain killers can cause xx

Can they have it in liquid form? Or is it just injection?

We use tramadol quite often and our very is happy to prescribe it for rabbits.

Several of my elderly rabbits have had tramadol when they needed it too.

Back