• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi survivors

Snow-White

Mama Doe
Has anyone had bunnies survive myxi.
Im reading everywhere i should just PTS, but he is so healthy and fighting :?

please someone give me some hope?:cry:

i think hugo's there had a bunny with myxi recently i didnt here the out come of it... you caught it early and if it was me i would give him longer to fight :thumb:

4 out of 5 survived - 1 was unvacs (a survivor). The one I lost WAS vacs, but it went straight to his breathing:cry: The rest were all nodular or just weeping eyes.

I wouldn't give up on him yet.

I don't have any experience of dealing with myxi but I guess, being realistic, his hopes of recovery aren't great, just go day by day. If he seems to be suffering you may sadly have to re-think the situation.

Sending more vibes.

Hope someone else can help with some positive experiences.

thanks guys im reading everything on it and everywhere suggests PTS.
I couldnt face putting bigman down not considering how well he seems.
But again im also told they seem fine up till the 9-10 day mark and we are on day 5:cry:

The one I lost of mine was seriously ill by day 3.

The others were never ill as such - but Suki did look pretty horrific with all the lumps - then later scars.

That said 2 of mine had it for months & months.

Wasn't there a story on here a while ago about that black bunny who had full blown myxi and survived? I tried looking for it but couldn't find it.

Sending a tonne of vibes to Boost xxxx

The one I lost of mine was seriously ill by day 3.

The others were never ill as such - but Suki did look pretty horrific with all the lumps - then later scars.

That said 2 of mine had it for months & months.

see our Boo has the full blown swollen face, snuffy nose, swollen genitals, he has some bumps but they dont seem to be getting worse or better...

Offer him his greens and treats and he will rip your hand off for them and even did a binky:?

he is struggling with pellets because of the swelling i offered him a bowl and he gets all excited but his little mouth struggles so we have to smash them up too smaller bits for him

How overdue for his vaccination was he? If it was just a few weeks he may have some immunity still.

My Josie showed the first signs of myxi the day she was due her vaccination. She had good days and bad days, but I don't remember considering letting her go. It took a couple of months for all the nodules to heal. But the myxi damaged her inside, and after only a few weeks of seemingly being healthy again she developed a respiratory infection which couldn't be cured :cry: I'm told it's quite common to lose myxi survivors to respiratory infections because of the internal damage it can do.

I don't know about full blown myxi, but I think I would base a decision on when his last vaccination was and how he's coping. I hope he can beat it. Sending lots of vibes for Boost xx

I think you should follow your instincts and what you believe is best for your bunny as only you can see how ill he is or isnt.

Personally though having battlied to keep a myxi bun alive when I was younger and didn't know about vaccinations its not something I could do again. I truely believe I let the bunny down by prolonging her suffering.

Pickles had nodular myxi, but he was vaccinated. He just had a course of antibiotics and was fine. Was your bun vaccinated?

I would just take each day as it comes, keep a close eye and do everything you can to keep him comfortable. Lots of vibes!

I think only you know what is best for him, if he doesn't seem to be suffering then I would carry on. Years ago I had a bun that was vaccinated at the time (old single vaccine) and about 12 hours after I realised she had a slight puffiness to one eye that was barely noticeable she was suffering with breathing difficulties and full blown myxi and and we had no option but to PTS :cry:

A long time ago I had five bunnies with myxi and all survived. They were unvaccinated. I didn't know much about bunnies then so had no idea that it was rare for bunnies to get through myxi. I expected them to get better. It was very hard work though and I virtually moved into my vets. They didn't all get it at the same time either, so it went on for ages.

They are all at the Bridge now sadly - but it was a very long time ago.

Mine all wanted to fight - I had absolutely no doubt about that.

Good luck - it is definitely possible for bunnies to survive myxi.

thanks guys im reading everything on it and everywhere suggests PTS.
I couldnt face putting bigman down not considering how well he seems.
But again im also told they seem fine up till the 9-10 day mark and we are on day 5:cry:

I think each case should be decided on it's own merits. I've had rabbits recover from things the vet would have expected them to pass away from. You can't judge .. take each day and keep him well. You seem to be doing that so far!! :wave:

2 years ago 3 of mine had nodular myxi all were vaccinated.
Mabel had terrible eyes and genitals but survived.
Molly lost a chunk off her nose.
Smokey still has the scars on his ears and nose.

This wet and warm weather scares me again ,but not seeing so many mossies at present.
Do hope their is a happy outcome x

thanks guys you have no idea how much this has helped me this weeks been a rollercoaster for boost and myself
i just pray im as lucky.
What were you guys given to treat? we have Baytril and Metacam but i cant help but feel this cant be enough?

i've never had a myxi bun but a friend did and the bunny survived and was well afterwards :D Wishing you all the best whatever the next few days/weeks bring

Aly&Poppy[url said:
https://m.facebook.com/pages/Myxomatosis-Survivors-and-Cases-in-UK/444097498966475?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2Furl&_rdr[/url]

Not sure if this link will work, if not you could Google Facebook rabbits with myxi.

I know I saw a Facebook page for a rabbit who was unvaccinated and survived but I can't find it now.

sending healing vibes xxxxx

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Back