• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

has anyone had rabbit experience with bladder cancer or growths in bladder

shebunkin

Warren Scout
Our 10 year old Bruce Lee is storing up pee then letting it go with great urgency in big pools, not in his tray. Obviously we have been to the vet, a rabbit saavy one-- many times --
two ultrasounds taken about a month apart appear to show a shadow. Urine is dilute and has large cells with dark nuclei which vet says can indicate rapid growth, ie possibly a tumour.

We nearly PTS last Monday after a series of very severe and distressing gut stasis episodes, but he suddenly improved enormously and appears to have his joie de vivre back, is eating, grazing, pooing and peeing though poos permanently quite small and dry.

We didn't want to subject him to invasive or distressing tests or an operation.

My question is has anyone experienced this and what should we expect? We are desperate to have him stable and happy for as long as possible and will do anything which does not involve stressful treatments or investigation.
Vet will ultrasound again in a couple of weeks to see if any change. She says no gut obstruction, no urine retention due to obstruction, no obvious infection but we did not try to test for that. antibiotics would be difficult due to the recurrent stasis.
He is on metacam but may need to rethink this if there is kidney problems, also on emeprid, ox bow recovery mix, and fibreplex, also giving biolapis, slippery elm, and ground up cranberry tablet in his recovery mix. lots of forage like dandelions, lemon balm, fresh cut grass, strawberry leaves-- but he has stopped eating hay.

His slight molar spurs are not causing trauma at last examination and we wanted to avoid the risk of a dental.

Don't know if others have been through this and might have ideas of non-invasive treatment or diagnosis techniques?

Steroids to shrink any growth?
We love him to bits and he is very affectionate and attached to us.
Shebunkin

Hi

yes, sadly I've had one of my rabbits who succumbed to bladder cancer. We tried lots of things to lengthen her good quality life but at the end the downward turn of comfort came so quickly and she 'told' me that she wanted to go.

The noticeable thing was the lack of control of her back end. Not just with the urination problems, but that she couldn't move about well any more. I gave her rubber stable mats to help her stay more stable and not slip around, I reduced the amount of effort she had to make to live normally.

She ended up on very high dose opiate based pain relief and to be honest, I'm not sure knowing how little extra time it gave her, whether I would have put her through it all.

I can imagine the pain must have been dreadful despite the drugs. We saw her deteriorate so quickly at the end. I think from her initial onset of symptoms to her having to hop over the rainbow bridge it was only a few months.

Rather than post everything on here, if you wanted to speak to me on the phone, just pm me and I'll send you my number in case I can help answer any questions you might have.

Tululah was a giant rabbit so when she lost her mobility, it was a very big deal. I was heartbroken when I found out that it was bladder cancer and not just a more treatable urination problem. It so hard knowing what she went through.

Would I have done things slightly differently if I had my time again for her, maybe. She did suffer somewhat towards the end, but as she was bonded her whole life I wanted to consider both her and her partner rabbit.

It's hard to know what to do for the best in cases like this.

I'm so sorry to hear that our bunny has this to deal with.

Thank you! I'm on the emotional roller-coaster of joy then sick dread

Thank you for those kind words. Yes please i'll make contact.

Because he is still having very good cheery times and we don't have a clear diagnosis we are going on as long as he can be kept happy. But it is absolute emotional agony as you all know -- been reading RU postings for past weekd trying to find relevant stuff and thank you all who responded to my first post 'recurrent stasis and poss bladder cancer.'

The thought of being without him is devastating, but we know we have to be brave and put him first.
Shebunkin

Back