• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny boys stories

maryrose

Young Bun
As a child I always had pets and things as an adult have never changed for me. We were very reluctant to get rabbits after our last rabbit had swelling on her brain and her passing broke my heart.

Anyway my son Oliver has always been crazy about rabbits even refusing to eat his chocolate rabbit at easter because he was scared to hurt the rabbit, therefore we decided to start stocking up on rabbit stuff to ensure we were prepared. Oliver came and sat on the floor at an little independant store that really looks after their pets and decided Squishy was the rabbit for him. Never before have I seen a child and a rabbit love each other so much. He will sit with Squishy and love him like they just understand one another.
The next day came Popcorn a different independant store and well he was a naughty bun and he came home too.

After a few months everything was happy and settled and everytime we went into a pet shope for supplies we were all drawn to the rabbits. Oliver our son would flop to the floor and roll over and one of the rabbits would do the same. Every day for a week we went to visit the same rabbit and he would do the same thing again and again. Day 8 and our rabbit was gone until hubby produced the rabbit on Easter Saturday. Oliver was delighted as we now had 3 rabbits and he was in hoppy heaven...but hubby had gotten the wrong dutch rabbit. As soon as I saw Peter I knew he wasn't the rabbit that was copying Oliver, I wasnt disappointed how could I be Peter is gorgeous...a few weeks later we go into the store and we find George my boy in the rehoming centre. Apparently too OLD to be with the bunnies and in a small cage looking sad. So hubby signed some papers and gave them a fat donation and George came home.

So 4 rabbits and we are happy. We have bonded Squishy and popcorn after they had fallen out and no plans on another...

But then we find Rory in the rehoming section in a terrible way. His big blooming eyes and his sad look just made me melt and I had to walk away. 5 rabbits is ridiculous. Sure we have the space and cages but come on its daft. SO I walked away...went out the door and hubby drove off down the road. He stopped at a red light looked at me and said " I think we need to set up our spare hutch" and we turned around and went to get our Rory. He was badly neglected and left in a hutch all day and night on his own. His fur was matted under his arm pits and every time he walked it hurt. So we sorted out the painful bits immediately and over the last 4 weeks we have sorted his fur out and he looks fabulous now.

We have now reached our limit with rabbits and we really hope Peter, George and Rory bond so they can live a long and happy life together. Not sure it is possible but I will give it a darn good go.

When our son is having a bad day (he has epilepsy and other issues) we go get the rabbits as he knows he has to be calm or the rabbits will get upset or he goes to sit with them. He talks to them and I am sure they understand in their own way. He comes out every night with me or hubby to feed his rabbits. Knows who owns which food bowl.

We have absolutely no plans to get anymore rabbits but then again I am a sucker for long ears and big feet.

Hope you have lots of happy times with the bunnies, and good luck with your bonding plans. :wave:

Back