• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worried about benson. update,yet more drama!!

Neve

Warren Scout
at the begging of may benson had a health check at the vets and they picked up on a small spur on his back tooth, it was causing him no problems at that time but they said it would eventually. anyways so time has gone by and i am currently getting the money together to book a dental. but he just doesnt seem himself, there is caecotrophs EVERYWHERE and i am pretty sure they are his there is also a few small dark poos around. he is not as keen on his pellets anymore but is eating his hay and forage still. he sits around asleep most of the day and teeth clicks. i guess what i am asking is do you think these are all signs that he needs a dental asap. and i guess i know the answer... he needs to go to the vet. i just need to confirm all this

Last edited:
Yes, I would say that it is almost certainly a Dental problem. It is much better to get the treatment done BEFORE the Rabbit stops eating altogether. If that happens then secondary gut stasis can be the result and it makes having a GA for the Dental more problematic.

Agree with Jane. :thumb: Hope you can arrange treatment for Benson soon, and that he manages to keep eating in the meantime.

im taking benson to the vets in a few minutes. but as my mum is on benifits we can take him to the rspca for a reduced though this means we have to wait all day to be seen as it is in order of emergency. so do you think it is best to take phoebe with him or not?

I'm am currently waiting in the vets... Decided not to bring phoebe as I didn't no how long we would wait and she hates car journeys. Fingers crossed he goes in for a dental today

Thanks! Despite the ridiculous amonut of noise and barking that is making me jump benson is as calm as ever and is currently washing his face after a little dandelion snack

update

benson has been seen by the vet his spurs have got considerably worse since he was last seen! he has metacam and a dental booked for wednesday. will update after the op! :thumb:

benson has been seen by the vet his spurs have got considerably worse since he was last seen! he has metacam and a dental booked for wednesday. will update after the op! :thumb:

That's good. A pity you have to wait so long, but guess they must be kept very busy and think he can wait until then.

lots of vibes being sent..... Hope all goes well....

keep nomming in the meantime Benson....., xxxxxx

update

benson is in for his dental today vibes that he pulls through and eats after... need some good news right now

benson pulled through the anesthetic... they found a few problems elsewhere but will update you when i pick him up

Back