• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Bunnies

HChappell

New Kit
What age do mini lop bunnies need their first injections? I spoke to my local vet and they said 6 weeks so i spoke to the breeder and they said that's too young it should be 12 weeks. What do you all think? Do you all do worming tablets and flystrike cream too? wasn't sure if the vet was just tryng to sell me lots of stuff? Also is it true when we get them we should leave them for 24 hours to get used to their new home?

I have two mini lops and I waited until 8 weeks. But only because I personally felt they were so small and delicate I didn't want it at 6 weeks.

What Jane says is very true though. I just personally wanted them to be a little older. :wave:

I left mine for 24 hours at first yes, to get used to their new enclosure, but I kept popping my head in now and then to see if they were ok! I personally haven't wormed or flea'd my bunnies, I don't see the point in putting them through the stress unless they get fleas or worms. Which they rarely do if they are kept properly.

Last edited:
I have two mini lops and I waited until 8 weeks. But only because I personally felt they were so small and delicate I didn't want it at 6 weeks.

Bunnies shouldn't be rehomed before 8 weeks so although safe it's unnusal for bunnies to be done earlier unless there was a urgent need - ie a local outbreak.

Bunnies shouldn't be rehomed before 8 weeks so although safe it's unnusal for bunnies to be done earlier unless there was a urgent need - ie a local outbreak.

I know that, I got my bunnies at 6 weeks from a breeder I now know wasn't very good at all. I would never take on another bunny any younger than 8 weeks. I have the knowledge now. And there's always that even if I did get them at 8 weeks I could have taken them in the next couple of days for vaccinations?

Mine were done as soon as I got them at 8 weeks. I haven't wormed it flea treated mine either, I don't think it's necessary.

it is safe at 6 weeks if the breeder is responsible enough to get it done if not get it done as soon as you get them at 8 weeks :thumb:

Great thank you. They will be 8 weeks when I collect them on Monday so I will get them booked in for it. Would you wait a few days or go straight to vet after picking them up?

Great thank you. They will be 8 weeks when I collect them on Monday so I will get them booked in for it. Would you wait a few days or go straight to vet after picking them up?

Back