• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cupcake back home, advice for stasis please!!

lilgems91

Mama Doe
Cupcake is now back home, she is still not moving or really responding.

Spoken to the vet and he said Cupcake is in stasis, the x ray showed no signs of trauma or blockages so the vet nurse has been syringe feeding her recovery food every hour.

She has had an injection of 2 different gut stimulants and also Metacam. I have been told to carry on syringe feeding her throughout the night every 2 hours.

Someone suggested buying some Infacol so have bought some...how much and how shall I give it her? I also have got some baby food (organic) as it may interest her more with the flavour.

I have never cared for a bunny in stasis before, if anyone has any advice then please say, I feel like I am not doing enough for her :(

Thanks

I tend to get a variety of fresh herbs to try to tempt mine. If they won't eat them I gently stroke them under their chin with it as sometimes they will take it. I also try to get them to move around gently for 5 mins or so every hour but not enough to stress them. Also some gently tummy rubs.

Herbs that I find they eat first are stronger smelling ones e.g. thyme but I also have coriander and parsley, kale, spring cabbage and sometimes carrot tops (Sainsbury sell carrots with the tops on) can tempt them.

Blackberry leaves and hawthorn leaves have also been known to tempt them.

Sending lots of eating/pooping vibes x

ETA - if it is Oxbow recovery food, I tend to use the fine blend as it is easier to syringe and you can make it to different consistencies to tempt them. If you need to get more fluids in I tend to make it more runny.

Last edited:
I have got fresh herbas as well, thank you :)

She seems too weak to eat :( She has sniffed the strawberry and attempted to eat it but shes too weak :(

Really dont know what to do.

:cry:

It is the supreme science recovery blend she has been given

Could you mash some of her pellets up (try different consistencies) to see if she will take any of them. If she will eat banana you could mash a little with it to tempt her.

Can you get any blackberry leaves from anywhere. This was the only thing that one of my buns would attempt to eat if she was poorly. Maybe try grated carrot.

Could you mash some of her pellets up (try different consistencies) to see if she will take any of them. If she will eat banana you could mash a little with it to tempt her.

Can you get any blackberry leaves from anywhere. This was the only thing that one of my buns would attempt to eat if she was poorly. Maybe try grated carrot.

I have got all this and she does love banana...only trouble is she wont swallow anything that goes into her mouth :(

Has she had any fecal output whilst at the Vets ? Is she still bloated ? Did the Vet have her on IV fluids during her stay ?

Im surprised you have cupcake back and they are not looking after him. Like Jane said with an iv. Like i said before my vets would not give her back to me unless she is eating and toileting normally. Are your vets rabbit savvy.

I give doughnut infracol 1ml three times a day. They cannot over dose on it. Some people give 2ml then 1ml after every hour til they are ok. I suggested that so hope it helps.

Could you get some fresh grass. They are more tempted by fresh things. I would also syringe feed water too.

Did you get any medicine to give to her.

Last edited:
:wave:

Hi can you tell us what other gut stimulants Cupcake is taking.

My bunny recently went into Statis - he was hospitalised for four nights' had an IV drip for fluids and also Vetagestic, Zantac, emeprid (spelling!) and metacam - he was not released until he was eating and pooing at the hospital and then at home for the first 3/4 days the meds mentioned were given twice a day to keep him comfortable and pain free - he was a bit spaced out during this time but gradually on advice of my vet the meds were reduced taking care all the time to ensure there were no setbacks.

When he first came home his poos were small and odd shapes but this improved day by day but it was key that there was movement through his gut for his release and I was keen to nurse him at home as he is blind so worried about extra stress with him hospitalised.

Additionally my bun had herbs drenched in water and fresh cut grass to tempt him.

I would be monitoring her very carefully if she is not eating and pooing praps have a chat with your vet re concerns - it can be a long road back to total recovery and statis is so stressful for bunnies and owners - hope she is soon feeling better.

She died in my arms...Im in pieces.

I have put her back in the cage with Benji, nt sure how long to leave her there for?

I am so sorry. You did all you could. I really feel the vets should not have discharged her in that condition but that certainly isn't your fault. Lots of hugs.

so so sorry

You did everything you could. It is agonising to lose a bunny in this way and you are in our thoughts. Reading your post has me in tears. Peace to you and Cupcake.

Back