• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fly Guard

Hi all :wave:

I am new to this group so firstly I'd like to introduce myself... I'm Jayde and I'm 23 years old, from Luton :D

I have three British Giant Rabbits; Charlie, Lola and Binky :love:

I'm a Vegetarian and I love all animals :thumb:

I've recently purchased Fly Guard for my rabbits - Could anybody please tell me the exact areas to apply? I originally assumed it was on the bum area, but reading the back of the box - It appears to be the back to the tip of the tail.

Can anybody help me please?

Welcome to RU:wave:. Would love to see some pictures of your lovely bunnies. Bephar Fly Guard is, if I remember rightly, an ivermectin based product. It's generally used to prevent flystrike in compromised bunnies ie those who struggle to keep themselves clean for whatever reason. If your bunnies are fit and healthy and you check them every day then you shouldn't really need to use flyguard on them.

However, I believe that as a product, it should be applied from the base of the tail to halfway up their back. The genitals should be avoided. However, in my experience, if flies strike, they normally lay eggs in soiled fur UNDER the tail - the exact area you can't spray around :?. I had an elderly bunny who, due to arthritis, couldn't bend to clean herself. Although she never got dirty, I worried about her so I sprayed flyguard where the instructions told me AND sprayed some onto cotton wool and then dabbed the cotton wool around the area under her tail, avoiding the delicate areas. I believe flyguard has to be sprayed weekly opposed to Rearguard which is once every few months,

It only needs to be applied every few months not weekly :wave:

The only experience I have had of flystrike the maggots were at the base of the spine/start of the tail and in loose folds of skin around the same area ( she had lost loads of weight due to ill health) :(

It only needs to be applied every few months not weekly :wave:

The only experience I have had of flystrike the maggots were at the base of the spine/start of the tail and in loose folds of skin around the same area ( she had lost loads of weight due to ill health) :(

You're right Liz, it's applied every 3 months (just got off my backside to actually check the box :lol:).

Back