PDA

View Full Version : Poorly Cupcake..tummy/gut problems :(

lilgems91
03-06-2014, 01:23 PM
So last week my little Benji was poorly with suspected E.C symptoms and now my little girl is poorly which is unusual for her :(

She started to go off her food yesterday and was a bit quiet..when I came in from work in the evening she was the same, so I called the emergency vets and took her in.

He examined her and took her temperature which was lower than what it should be, and said her tummy felt very bloated. He injected her with pain relief, gut stimulant and antibiotics, and asked if he could see her back this morning. He said it could be bloat, or a growth in her stomach :(

I kept her inside last night and slept by the indoor cage to make sure she was okay, unfortunately there was not much improvement. She refused food, however she did have a small drink.

She was the same this morning, so when she went in the vet said she wanted to keep her for an xray to check if there was an obstruction, or fur to cause the bloated tummy and discomfort.

I havent heard from them yet regarding how she is, just wanted to request some positive vibes please :cry:

Jack's-Jane
03-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Poor Bunny :cry: I am surprised the Vet gave a gut stimulant if he suspected an obstruction :? I hope you hear some good news about her soon.

Lady Logamorph
03-06-2014, 01:30 PM
oh dear doesn't sound like your bunnies are having a good time. Have you tried gentle massaging her belly? maybe she will need syringe feeding after the vet has confirmed there is no blockage. Also try tempting her with some dandelion leaves/hawthorn or bramble leaves if you have any. Willow is also good if they are not feeling to well. Hope she perks up soon.

lilgems91
03-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Poor Bunny :cry: I am surprised the Vet gave a gut stimulant if he suspected an obstruction :? I hope you hear some good news about her soon.

That is what I thought Jacks Jane..he said he wanted to treat her for bloat forst as he was worried she hadn't eaten all day :(

weedug
03-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Sending loads of vibes. I hope it's nothing serious and she is on the mend soon.

lilgems91
03-06-2014, 01:33 PM
oh dear doesn't sound like your bunnies are having a good time. Have you tried gentle massaging her belly? maybe she will need syringe feeding after the vet has confirmed there is no blockage. Also try tempting her with some dandelion leaves/hawthorn or bramble leaves if you have any. Willow is also good if they are not feeling to well. Hope she perks up soon.

She would not let me near her belly to massage it :( She kept it to the floor. I just hope everything goes okay at the vets, worried as I have not heard from them. Hopefully there is no blockage and she can come home where I can syringe feed her and keep an eye on her :)

Jack's-Jane
03-06-2014, 01:34 PM
That is what I thought Jacks Jane..he said he wanted to treat her for bloat forst as he was worried she hadn't eaten all day :(

Oh :? I assume he must have been confident that it isn't an obstructed bloat.

lilgems91
03-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Oh :? I assume he must have been confident that it isn't an obstructed bloat.

I really hope so. He is not my first choice of vet, unfortunately my normal one is away for 10 days.

SJH
03-06-2014, 01:43 PM
Poor little mite. Paws crossed for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpayne
03-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Hopefully they are syringe feeding cupcake some water too.

Let us know how cupcake gets on.

lilgems91
03-06-2014, 02:41 PM
Just had an update from the vet.

Having done an xray there are no signs of blockages or dark areas to suggest a growth, but there is gas in her stomach.

The vet has given her fluids and is going to try and syringe feed her :(

She said she wants to monitor her for a few hours, and if she doesnt improve there is always the option of surgery as a last resort.

Dont know what to do, in bits here, really cant lose her :(

cpayne
03-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Have they given her infracol. It really helps for Doughnut's gas, works within 30 minutes.

What surgery are they going to do? Is Cupcake on metaclop and metacam?

lilgems91
03-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Have they given her infracol. It really helps for Doughnut's gas, works within 30 minutes.

What surgery are they going to do? Is Cupcake on metaclop and metacam?

Hi cpayne, im not 100% sure what she meant regarding the surgery, she didnt go into much detail.

When I ring back I will find out exactly what she has given cupcake, I couldnt communicate very well on the phone, as there was something wrong with the line I think :(

Fee
03-06-2014, 02:58 PM
sending lots of get well vibes.......xxxxxxxxxxxxx

lilgems91
03-06-2014, 03:33 PM
sending lots of get well vibes.......xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you Fee :) xx

Jack's-Jane
03-06-2014, 04:15 PM
I would ask the Vet what she thought may be achieved by opting for surgery if there is no evidence of obstruction. Have they run any blood tests, especially looking at liver function and blood glucose level ?

Zoobec
03-06-2014, 04:24 PM
Sending mega vibes for her xx

lilgems91
03-06-2014, 04:32 PM
I would ask the Vet what she thought may be achieved by opting for surgery if there is no evidence of obstruction. Have they run any blood tests, especially looking at liver function and blood glucose level ?

Thank you jacksjane. I am going to ring the vets now and request a blood test. They have the resources at the clinic to get the results fairly quickly. Hopefully this will show up any problems..would symptoms for liver problems be similar to the symptoms she is experiencing? Thanks.

Captain Helen
03-06-2014, 11:10 PM
Edited-Sorry I didn't see the other thread before posting here :cry: