• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA Ad UD comment on draft please :)

adoptafosteredbunny

Warren Scout
...didn't show a single rabbit. It's no wonder the general public doesn't think that cruelty to rabbits is an issue. Granted Cats and Dogs suffer, but the most neglected domestic animal not even mentioned? It's disappointing. :(

Last edited:
A friend of mine reported someone to the rspca for keeping their two rabbits in a 4ft hutch and never letting them out. The rabbits aren't neutered and are always humping and chasing each other.

The rspca said that there "wasn't a problem" with how the rabbits were being kept :shock:

It was on about ten minutes ago in adverts of millionaire matchmaker...*blush*, I'll try find a link to it now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.rspca.org.uk/donate/currentappeals

The video on the bottom of this link.

If the biggest known rescue center in the UK isn't taking this seriously, how can we expect new owners to understand the perils of rabbits and adopt not shop? They clearly have the opportunity to show what happens, but are ignoring it. With what you have said bunbuns, and what I read on here, it seems that they are frequently of the opinion 'it's just a rabbit'...:(

A friend of mine reported someone to the rspca for keeping their two rabbits in a 4ft hutch and never letting them out. The rabbits aren't neutered and are always humping and chasing each other.

The rspca said that there "wasn't a problem" with how the rabbits were being kept :shock:

I don't think the RSPCA could do anything in that case, they were fed/watered and safe even if in bad conditions. It's a pity and wrong but I can understand why the RSPCA can't intervene in those cases.

I think part of the reason the RSPCA don't focus on rabbits in their ads is because of the public's lack of interest. At the end of the day they want to raise money, and cute dogs/cats is the way to do that. Rabbits are in many people's minds 'just a rabbit' and not worth the money, so probably wouldn't make people reach into their pockets.

It's a great shame.

I don't think the RSPCA could do anything in that case, they were fed/watered and safe even if in bad conditions. It's a pity and wrong but I can understand why the RSPCA can't intervene in those cases.

Its so unfair :cry:

I can't imagine how bored and frustrated they must be.

I think part of the reason the RSPCA don't focus on rabbits in their ads is because of the public's lack of interest. At the end of the day they want to raise money, and cute dogs/cats is the way to do that. Rabbits are in many people's minds 'just a rabbit' and not worth the money, so probably wouldn't make people reach into their pockets.

It's a great shame.

I think you're right: it's primarily a fund raising video, as opposed to an educational one, and they will get a greater response for featuring cats and dogs than anything else.

I know the RSPCA is far from perfect, but I do think that they get a huge amount of criticism for doing one thing or another, or spending on this situation instead of that situation, but the fact is resources cannot be stretched in all directions and really the negative energy should be directed towards the people who create the problems and not those who are desperately trying to do what they can for the animals in very difficult circumstances - Sorry :oops: That was just a wee mini-rant, not directed at OP :oops:

Some of the worst rabbit neglience I came across was actually at the RSPCA Centre. I know there are exemplary ones out there, but the one I worked with was negligent, plain and simple.

Rabbits are cute though! I just think they should give equal air time. None of the animals in the advert looked good, they were all neglect cases. It just makes people think that rabbits are not as worthy and that they don't get neglected too. The RSPCA generally do what they can but if they have already paid for an advert, why not do it for the interest of all domestic animals?

Actually yes, if they'd at least included some pictures/film of rabbits that would imply they are as important as dogs and cats and that would help to influence the way people think about rabbits. I volunteer for the RSPCA and I know the people I work with are SO dedicated, I feel quite defensive for them and I think some people can be quite critical without realising just how difficult things are, but I do understand that some people have genuinely not had good experiences and their criticisms are valid.

... Just watched the advert and I see what you mean ..

I think if enough rabbitty people emailed the R.S.P.C.A. then they would take notice.

Cats and dogs are seen as family pets. On the whole, rabbits are sold as pets for children. Often disposed of when the children get bored.

Once the profile of rabbits elevates to that of cats and dogs, people will take cruelty to them more seriously.
If cats and dogs were 'farmed' in Spain and imported to restaurants in the UK like the National Theatre for their meat, I bet there would be more of an outcry about the abominable cruelty they endure.

... See you set me off there :lol: :lol: :lol:

I noticed this ages ago and actually posted on FB about it. Basically saying that the RSPCA are only "there" for dogs and cats..and occasionally horses. No other animals matter. They take in tons of ferrets, rats, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, rabbits etc etc and none of these are EVER mentioned in their adverts.

Good idea mighty max. They do a great job but it would be zero extra effort to include rabbits. I'll definitely send a message to them today, will post a draft here before I send it to make sure I've covered important points and that I am polite enough lol

...didn't show a single rabbit. It's no wonder the general public doesn't think that cruelty to rabbits is an issue. Granted Cats and Dogs suffer, but the most neglected domestic animal not even mentioned? It's disappointing. :(

My thoughts exactly.

It's same as my other favourite place Pets At Home. Did anyone notice a rabbit did not feature on the original ad? A chicken and lizard but no rabbits! I tweeted them that it was ironic they sell more rabbits than other species but not one was featured on their ad. Yet again rabbits made to look inferior throw-away pets. Funny enough got no reply but a few days later there was a rabbit featured being held by a member of staff. I mean why not show a house rabbit lounging on a couch?? :evil:

Dear The RSPCA,
I recently saw your current biggest animal rescue fundraising advert on ITV2 during the daytime.1 As much as I appreciate and support the work that the RSPCA does, I feel that the advert sends a stark message to the general public: only cats and dogs are important, only cats and dogs are capable of being abused. It should have included rabbits.

Rabbits are the third most popular domestic pet in the UK but the RSPCA and PDSA have identified them as the most neglected and cruelly treated of all pets. The RWAF2 have estimated that around 67,000 rabbits go through rescue centres in the UK each year. All of this you know about, which is why I am having to express my concern.

Having seen your advert, I am personally of the opinion that the absence of rabbits is more harmful to them (rabbits) than if there had been no advert at all. It appears that once again their welfare needs are not being taken seriously. From speaking to my friends about rabbits since I started fostering them, it has become alarmingly clear that the general public do not know anything about the rabbit welfare crisis, yet they know all about the neglect of cats and dogs. If I am honest, a year ago I didn't know either. It is only because I am, luckily, the sort of person to do lots of research before doing anything, that I didn't make the mistake of buying a rabbit when my circumstances were not right. For a long time my research suggested I should get a rabbit from a breeder, something I now know exacerbates the issues that rabbits face. It took a great deal of time and searching for me to realise that there were thousands of rescue bunnies out there.

As one of the most well known animal welfare charities in the UK, you have the power to change this. It would have been no more effort to include rabbits in your advert. And maybe people would begin to see that rabbits are not disposable pets.

I am a member of an online rabbit community, and they are much of the same opinion as I. Someone thought that maybe they were not shown as the public do not think them as cute as cats and dogs, but as the advert was focussed on showing abused/neglected animals, this should not be relevant. At current the public may not like them as much, but they NEED to be made aware that they are suffering and with your prominent status in the UK, YOU have the power and opportunity to do that and it is up to YOU to make it happen. You need to show people that they are not 'just a rabbit'. They are not disposable. With your current advert, you have missed out on this opportunity and failed rabbits.

If you have already paid for the campaign, why not make it in the interest of ALL of the animals you support? Is it also not misleading; people may think their donations are only going towards cats and dogs and may not be happy with helping animals they think less worthy (a sad thought I know but unfortunately one that crossed my mind).

The PDSA's 2013 animal wellbeing report3 mentions cats, dogs and rabbits in detail. Why can you not do this in your adverts?

If the biggest known animal charity in the UK is not appearing to take this seriously, how can we expect anything to change? Can we expect people to understand the welfare needs of rabbits? Do people even know that rabbit rescue centres exist? I have found that the answer to this last question is a NO almost 100% of the time.

Of course, there are many other small animal species also in need of protecting and there needs to be greater awareness of their perils too. With national campaigns you should be doing more for them.

I thank you for your time in reading this letter and for all of the great work you do in the UK.

Yours Sincerely,
Amy Woods

References
1. Video accessed from http://www.rspca.org.uk/donate/currentappeals on 4th June 2014, seen on ITV2 at around 12:15pm on 3rd June 2014
2. http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/index.php
3. https://www.pdsa.org.uk/pet-health-advice/pdsa-animal-wellbeing-report

I want to make sure I sound polite and not toooo accusing. Have I got all the important points in? Does the structure make sense? I dont want to send it if it isnt doing the rabbits justice!

I'm going to stick my neck out, but personally I don't think it's as big a deal as is being made out here :oops: Can you imagine if the same conversation is going on at other species-specific forums, they haven't highlighted the plight of guinea pigs, hamsters, reptiles, birds, wild animals kept as pets, stick insects, goldfish etc etc. Whichever animals they include or don't include, someone will moan that it isn't representative or that it had missed out their animal of preference. They have to stop somewhere, and the reality is, if the campaign is aimed at fundraising, they are more likely to pull on heart strings if they focus on cats and dogs, who most people have more of a connection and empathy with. It's also not going to make anyone think 'hey, there weren't any <insert species of animal here> in that advert, that must mean it's ok for me to neglect or abuse them.

Personally while I think the letter gets the points across, I don't think the letter in its current format will really achieve much, because it's basically saying 'you haven't done xxx' when even if they agree with you, they can't do anything about it now, because it's already done. I would be more inclined to suggest that should they run a new campaign in the future, you'd like to suggest that they include rabbits in it, in order to emphasise the fact that they are the uk's third most popular pet yet widely considered to be the most neglected. I'd also steer away from the 'someone on a rabbit forum said...' type of evidence, it doesn't really add anything to the argument and in my opinion detracts from it because it's moving away from evidence and into hearsay.

But I may be in the minority with my view :lol:

I'm going to stick my neck out, but personally I don't think it's as big a deal as is being made out here :oops: Can you imagine if the same conversation is going on at other species-specific forums, they haven't highlighted the plight of guinea pigs, hamsters, reptiles, birds, wild animals kept as pets, stick insects, goldfish etc etc. Whichever animals they include or don't include, someone will moan that it isn't representative or that it had missed out their animal of preference. They have to stop somewhere, and the reality is, if the campaign is aimed at fundraising, they are more likely to pull on heart strings if they focus on cats and dogs, who most people have more of a connection and empathy with. It's also not going to make anyone think 'hey, there weren't any <insert species of animal here> in that advert, that must mean it's ok for me to neglect or abuse them.

Personally while I think the letter gets the points across, I don't think the letter in its current format will really achieve much, because it's basically saying 'you haven't done xxx' when even if they agree with you, they can't do anything about it now, because it's already done. I would be more inclined to suggest that should they run a new campaign in the future, you'd like to suggest that they include rabbits in it, in order to emphasise the fact that they are the uk's third most popular pet yet widely considered to be the most neglected. I'd also steer away from the 'someone on a rabbit forum said...' type of evidence, it doesn't really add anything to the argument and in my opinion detracts from it because it's moving away from evidence and into hearsay.

But I may be in the minority with my view :lol:

Exactly what I was thinking. Although they are missing an opportunity as I would be much more likely to give if it did have rabbits in it ;)

Back