• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can't stop thinking about rabbit on its own...

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
My mum recently told me that she had been speaking my aunt and apparently my cousins fiancee has had a lion head rabbit at her property for a while and they are ''getting sick of it''. :(

I didn't even know, I go there to have my hair and stuff done and I had no idea she had a poor bunny out back on its own and living in just a small hutch apparently. She has a daughter and has just had a new baby so its looking like they don't have the time for it, I don't even know if its a male or female.

I've asked my mum to see if my aunt could try and convince her to part with it. I was thinking even if I could get it out of there and put it temporary in a larger hutch in the garden with proper food and stuff then it would at least be better than where it is now?

I don't think the OH would let me have any more bunnies but I was thinking I could at least get it somewhere better? I don't know what to do I cant stop thinking about the poor bunny.

I cant imagine they would contact a rescue they just don't seem to 'have the time' for that. They are more likely to give it to someone else who doesn't know what they are doing, they did this with a small dog they had once the baby was born and I just don't want it to happen again to this poor bunny.

Awwww some people are amazing right?! If you could give it a temp home I'm sure that would be awsome! But its extra time and money for you!

My friend had a neighbour who was just leaving a rabbit in the hutch at the back of the garden, letting the grass grows so they couldn't see the hutch any more and just "waiting for it to die" my friend rescued it and now has it as a husbun to her old boy bun but she felt she couldn't press charges: even though the vet told her to, as she was worried about what it would do to her relationship with the neighbours!!

Awwww some people are amazing right?! If you could give it a temp home I'm sure that would be awsome! But its extra time and money for you!

My friend had a neighbour who was just leaving a rabbit in the hutch at the back of the garden, letting the grass grows so they couldn't see the hutch any more and just "waiting for it to die" my friend rescued it and now has it as a husbun to her old boy bun but she felt she couldn't press charges: even though the vet told her to, as she was worried about what it would do to her relationship with the neighbours!!

I'm more worried about her thinking i'm 'trying to be funny'. I'm not I just want to help the bunny and the conditions its being kept in don't sound good at all.

If I could get it out I would consider advertising here and on other forums to see if I could find a suitable owner who would maybe pair it up with another bunny?

I've asked my mum today again to see if she knows anything else but I think she is a little reluctant to ask too.

Is there anyway you could get their number and ring and just say something like "I've heard on the grape vine you have a bunny you a may no longer want and could I please have it???" The worst they can say is no!!!

When are you planning to go round there next? Try and organise to go round for a cuppa or something and then casually say "mum mentioned you had a rabbit! I can't believe I never knew, id love to see it" etc. Maybe bring up your little ones into the convo as well. If they allow you to see it you can be like "Aww it looks so lonely, have you thought about getting a friend?" Something to make them bring up that they don't want it/have time for it anymore so you can then offer.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

When are you planning to go round there next? Try and organise to go round for a cuppa or something and then casually say "mum mentioned you had a rabbit! I can't believe I never knew, id love to see it" etc. Maybe bring up your little ones into the convo as well. If they allow you to see it you can be like "Aww it looks so lonely, have you thought about getting a friend?" Something to make them bring up that they don't want it/have time for it anymore so you can then offer.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Well its kinda strange, shes not really my friend, she just does my hair. Shes obviously engaged to me cousin and she is really nice.

I've just had a text from my mum, my aunty is going to speak to our Matty tonight about it. Apparently its him who's been looking after it.

The text from my mum said that it ''depends on whether she will part with it''

After sending one back simply saying ''well if shes going to keep it she needs to get a bigger hutch and run and feed it the right food''

Immediately I get a text back saying ''Chill out you''

I hate how everyone, even my mum who is an animal lover (she has dogs, parrots, fish, lizards) just doesn't see the mistreatment of rabbits as ''that bad'' of a situation...

Just had a text back last night from my mum, apparently the little girl wont part with the rabbit. :(

Omg that's truly awful!! That poor poor bunny :cry: so pleased your friend rescued him - those neighbours are just :evil::censored:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had a text back last night from my mum, apparently the little girl wont part with the rabbit. :(

I know people say the RSPCA aren't that good with rabbits but I'd still try an anonymous call to them. Probably best to wait a couple of weeks and don't mention the rabbit again to anyone or they may suspect it's you.

I know people say the RSPCA aren't that good with rabbits but I'd still try an anonymous call to them. Probably best to wait a couple of weeks and don't mention the rabbit again to anyone or they may suspect it's you.

In all honesty I wouldn't waste my time with the RSPCA. I've never had a good experience with them.

The last time we called was about a seagull that had gotton caught up in a wooden fence and was squawking and flailing around. We rang to see it they would get it out and the response was basically ''Just leave it it'll either get out or die''

Also like you say I've heard as long as a rabbit has food and water they don't seem to care how its kept.

I'm not their biggest fan...

I know how you feel, particularly about other people, especially your mum's, reactions; last October there was a situation with my brother's coworker's rabbits. Basically they were her first rabbits, she had bought one then the other (both girls) from P@T, had not bonded them, one was in an inside cage, the other running around; as she passed the cage, the other rabbit reached through the bars and grabbed her ear and wouldn't let go. She had to literally pick up the cage and shake it to make her let go, and half of the ear got ripped off. Hearing this, although it had only been a few weeks since my Pipkin died, I offered to rehome the injured bun through my mum's Facebook; she refused the offer, saying she would never get rid if them, and when I insisted on trying to send another message to (politely) try and convince her she couldn't keep both of them like this, my mum, also quite an animal lover, said we shouldn't 'interfere'. Curiously enough, a couple of months ago, before my brother moved to Thailand, I heard that she wanted to get rid of the rabbit that had attacked the other one (I actually posted here for advice) because she was 'mad' (read: unspayed, stressed and frustrated). I have not been able to make contact with her or heard anything since, and even if I did I still don't know what I would do as I now have Amy.

Sorry, that got longer than I intended, and I don't really have any advice; just some commiseration for the state of humanity nowadays.

Back