• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you dry for forage?

Willowsmum

Mama Doe
Out of interest really :wave: and to get some ideas :thumb:

I'm drying hawthorn, dandelions, plantain, raspberry and strawberry leaves :wave:

apple and pear leaves, hawthorne, dandelion, plantain, rose leaves and petals, brambles, just trying some sticky weed but not sure how it will turn out....

apple and pear leaves, hawthorne, dandelion, plantain, rose leaves and petals, brambles, just trying some sticky weed but not sure how it will turn out....

Sticky weed doesn't look too great dry but it seems to go down ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quick question about drying forage if you don't mind.

I have just started foraging for Molly and its going down really well. At the mo I am feeding it to her as the veg portion of her diet. Is dried forage as good as fresh veg during the winter? Also how do you dry it?

Sorry if I am hijacking your thread. :wave:

Now I know where you are getting the apple leaves ;) are you getting the pear leaves in the same place??:wave:

A quick question about drying forage if you don't mind.

I have just started foraging for Molly and its going down really well. At the mo I am feeding it to her as the veg portion of her diet. Is dried forage as good as fresh veg during the winter? Also how do you dry it?

Sorry if I am hijacking your thread. :wave:

Hi:wave: I think lots of people feed just dried forage and pellets in winter and some mix with fresh veggies (what I do:thumb:) I've been drying mine on seed trays on the top shelf of the greenhouse :love: I also hang some up with string in bunches :wave:

yea there are a couple of pear trees in the same place :D

plantain and meadow cranesbill dry very well - and are both available fresh (ready for drying!) on my forage for sale thread :wave::wave:

I personally also dry willow, all apple and pear leaves, raspberry and strawberry, and of course meadow grass (aka hay!!!)

If you dry the apple/pear/raspberry and strawberry leaves in the autumn they are already full of tastiness and starting to dry themselves. and also you dont harm the plant or reduce the fruits on it. If you take leaves when it is still taking in goodness for itself you damage it.

willow is great to dry - you just hand it up in huge bunches - same as doing goosegrass (stick willy for some of you).

My rabbits cant be bothered with dried nettle so I dont do that. - shame as I have so much of it!

I dont tend to dry dandelion as it shrinks so much - and we have it pretty much year round any way =- or cow parsley as I dont think it dried well.

I dry everything on open shelves (or hanging up) in the polytunnel.

(PS I no longer dry or use hawthorn after some nasty accidents with spikes - me not the buns! they seem to avoid being injured - but my hands get so sore with the spikes!)

Last edited:
plantain and meadow cranesbill dry very well - and are both available fresh (ready for drying!) on my forage for sale thread :wave::wave:

I personally also dry willow, all apple and pear leaves, and of course meadow grass (aka hay!!!)

If you dry the apple/pear leaves in the autumn they are already full of tastiness and starting to dry themselves.

willow is great to dry - you just hand it up in huge bunches - same as doing goosegrass (stick willy for some of you).

My rabbits cant be bothered with dried nettle so I dont do that. - shame as I have so much of it!

I dont tend to dry dandelion as it shrinks so much - and we have it pretty much year round any way =- or cow parsley as I dont think it dried well.

I dry everything on open shelves (or hanging up) in the polytunnel.

(PS I no longer dry or use hawthorn after some nasty accidents with spikes - me not the buns! they seem to avoid being injured - but my hands get so sore with the spikes!)

Hmmmm, I have no idea what meadow cranesbill looks like :shock: but I bet I've come across it at some point :lol:

Back