• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In theory could a rabbit get addicted to nicotine?

louise and Gus

Wise Old Thumper
If a rabbit had been kept in a smoky room (so much so that they smell of smoke), then was taken out of that environment, do you think they would experience withdrawal?

I don't know but I would think it's possible...maybe less from inhaling the smoke, but more from getting covered in it (you know like ceilings turn yellow with nicotine) and ingesting it when they groom their fur?

How awful. I'd have thought it possible too, but only if the smoking was excessive.

I would be more concerned about the potential of lung damage from passive smoking :cry:

Is there a behavioural issue that is making you wonder if the Rabbit is experiencing nicotine withdrawl ?

Well he is seems to switch between being very still and quiet to very on edge and nervous, which usually I would expect after a move, but I was told he was a really calm, chilled bunny. Probably not related but my OH was joking about maybe he's edgy from quitting, and that's how he was when he quit (He gave up smoking himself a while ago).

I guess it's also possible that they were just misinterpreting his behaviour? It wouldn't be that uncommon for people to think they had a very calm, placid bunny but the reality is just that the poor thing was terrified?

I'm sure he'll settle down well very soon :love:

I guess it's also possible that they were just misinterpreting his behaviour? It wouldn't be that uncommon for people to think they had a very calm, placid bunny but the reality is just that the poor thing was terrified?

This could certainly be true. I no longer take any notice of what previous owners say as it rarely turns out to be correct. I don't know if this is because the previous owner hasn't a clue or if its because bunny completely changes in a new environment with everything they need? Maybe its a bit of both.

I hope bunny does well at the vet and there is no lasting damage x

If a rabbit had been kept in a smoky room (so much so that they smell of smoke), then was taken out of that environment, do you think they would experience withdrawal?

I may be wrong but living with a smoker does not make you addicted, many people live with smokers and have no addiction, but the damage to the lungs through passive smoking is a worry x

Oh yeah I agree...when they said he loves being held, I though ah too terrified to move then ;)

I just thought is was an interesting concept...but as said passive smoking doesn't give you enough nicotine for it to be a problem so unlikely

I just thought is was an interesting concept...but as said passive smoking doesn't give you enough nicotine for it to be a problem so unlikely

I do think there's a difference between human and animal passive smoking though. When they've done studies on humans, presumably it's all about it going into the lungs, whereas with our small furry friends it would also be ingested as they groom themselves. I have no idea whether it would be enough to get into the bloodstream and thus give the potential for withdrawal, but it wouldn't surprise me - they must get a fair amount on their fur I'd have thought?

How is the little chap doing? Do we have a name yet??

He doing great, very lively this evening and even did a happy flop :)

I can't decide between Sprocket, Huey or Dougal... Will need to decide by the time I get to the vets or it'll be Mr Bun

Back