• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cruelty/neglect at a farm near me

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
I've posted before about this but the situation has become a bit more dire recently.

There's a farm near me who are keeping their bunnies and small animals in terrible conditions. A friend of mine works there and the days that she's there they at least get some basic food (hay, readigrass and an appropriate amount of pellets) along with water, but if she's not there they often don't have one or both. All the females are unspayed and a few of the males aren't neutered either. None are vaccinated. They keep having babies. Some animals are stuck in tiny hutches. There's one un-neutered male who's been stuck in an indoor cage for months and a giant male stuck in a chicken coop setup. Some are ill with quite obvious dental issues causing weeping eyes due to likely tooth root elongation. Veterinary treatment has been sought once or twice. The vet, who is primarily a farm animal vet, prescribed eye drops which are rarely given. Many have mites. Several degus have escaped only to be eaten by cats.

Many bunnies and other small animals have died in the time my friend has worked there from all sorts of reasons.

I called the RSPCA and they sent an investigator who found no problem.

My friend has handed her notice in after months of being totally ignored by her employer. I don't blame her - it must be heartbreaking, but it also means that nobody will look after the small animals or advocate for them at all.

What else can I do? Something really needs to be done. Not only getting these animals out but preventing this woman from getting any other small animals. Taking all the animals would be a massive undertaking but she would just get more. Her entire farm is overcrowded and there aren't enough funds.

There's 20 or more rabbits, 3 or so guinea pigs, 5-10 degus and 3-5 chinchillas. The guineas are fairly well off apart from there has been no provision of vitamin C for a long time. The degus have appropriate sized cages (on average) but are lacking mental and physical stimulation, and are in danger from the cats when the doors are left open. The chinchillas have been in an unheated barn all winter and a couple have died from exposure. There's 2 raccoon dogs kept separate in tiny shed/run setups, with no provision for the appropriate complicated care that they need. There are wallabies stuck in tiny shed/run (dog kennel type) setups too. There's also ferrets which are fairly well cared for afaik.

My friend has a friend who is linked to the nearest RSPCA branch, I think she volunteers there. My friend is going to speak to them soon. We're not sure if they can do anything.

This farm is really close to be geographically and it makes me feel sick to know it's happening so close by. I've been in tears over this so many times... something really needs to be done and I'm not entirely sure why it's come down to me and my friend to do something :(

Last edited:
What an awful situation for you :cry:. If the RSPCA have 'no problem' with the situation then sadly I'm note sure what else you can do. Although in my experience, the RSPCA are content for a rabbit to live in a 2ft box, as long as it has food and water :roll: (although that's probably the fault of the law rather than the RSPCA).

What an awful situation for you :cry:. If the RSPCA have 'no problem' with the situation then sadly I'm note sure what else you can do. Although in my experience, the RSPCA are content for a rabbit to live in a 2ft box, as long as it has food and water :roll: (although that's probably the fault of the law rather than the RSPCA.

I really don't understand why this is the case when if you wish to adopt bunnies from the RSPCA they (rightly) have far more stringent requirements!! It's ridiculous!!!

If it's a farm it's more likely to be the responsibility of trading standards than the rspca

Yes, particularly if they are breeding and selling. If they are breeding and selling they will need a pet shop licence from the council. You could try contacting them as pet shops have to comply with minimum standards of care.

It's a care farm so it's not open to the public, just for clients. Can I still involve trading standards? They're not breeding and selling, they're breeding and either keeping the babies or trying to get rid of them by adopting them out.

It's a care farm so it's not open to the public, just for clients. Can I still involve trading standards? They're not breeding and selling, they're breeding and either keeping the babies or trying to get rid of them by adopting them out.

Do they ask an adoption fee? If so then that's selling.

I don't really know what a care farm is, could you explain? Feel a bit thick now :lol:

Do they ask an adoption fee? If so then that's selling.

I don't really know what a care farm is, could you explain? Feel a bit thick now :lol:

I don't think they do ask for an adoption fee no, but I'm not sure. They advertise on facebook and websites etc. I think my friend who's working there at the moment would rather let a bunny go for free so that it has a chance at a better life than it currently has. Not sure what their official stance on it is and what usually happens though, I'll try and ask.

A care farm is basically (or in this case it is) where children/teens/young adults with problems (mental health, mentally challenged, young offenders etc) are 'sent' to help out and do some meaningful work. Most of the clients seem to be more along the disabled lines and seem to enjoy the work. Problem is that there's not enough staff to oversee them and ensure that everything is done correctly. The staff can't do their jobs because they're overseeing clients, and the clients can't be left alone for too long or left to do the more tedious or time consuming tasks. They can only do basic jobs often times. There are a few apprentices in animal care or related subjects there who can be trusted a lot more as they have an interest and passion etc, but there's just not enough staff. The clients are suffering too because they're not getting a good experience out of it either compared to what they could have.

Last edited:
Ah, I see. What about contacting the organisations that these young people are sent by or whoever is providing the funding? Surely this isn't value for money for them, animal welfare aside.

if they are taking in animals and rehomeing them for money occassionally then that would require a pet shop licience. try calling the council and complaining.

Back