• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Let's compare emergency vet charges?! 'Currently wincing'

runhardlivelong

Warren Scout
Sat at Emergency vets. Lola stopped eating. I couldn't leave myself to hang out till tomorrow morning when my normal vets is open.

Cost of emergency consult £130.....

I nearly vomited. Slipped my credit card in and cuddled Lola massively.

Ouch! Mine seem to be about £130 too, although they get more expensive after midnight sometimes. Luckily if Lola needs any follow-up meds in 12 hours it should be able to be done during normal working hours which is always nice :lol: At least Lola decided to get poorly this weekend rather than last weekend with the bank holiday, that could've been extra painful :shock:

Mine is around £150 too, and NOT bunny savvy as my good bunny savvy vets does not have out of hours so they send everyone to another vets instead. They scruffed my bun when I was in there one time. I avoid at all costs when I can!

The out of hours vet i use charges £180 for a consult! This is where insurance is a godsend!

I don't have insurance. I haven't had a problem with Lola once. I lost Ralph last week under anaesthetic so think it stems from that as opposed to an underlying issue. I cried my eyes out at the vets at the thought of loosing her.

Sounds pretty normal! I think mine was something like £117 before 11pm and more after that.

Fortunately my normal vet is open 7 days a week so the chances of needing to use the emergency vet are at least minimised!!

£100 plus VAT. We often get what the out of hours vet calls a "frequent flyer" discount though if it's Sunday daytime. He often charges us just a double consultation fee so £50. He was Scarlet's vet when she was at the RSPCA and had an abcess and has a soft spot for her. :love:

Nearest me - £150 consult, meds on top with a vet who doesn't have a CLUE and the few times I've seen him, I've listed the meds I want.

Vet I prefer - £60 I think. Bunny savvy, don't think the trip has ever cost me more than £85. It does go up a bit after 11pm, but even so the meds aren't as expensive as the other vet either.

My work vets use an Emergency Vet service - Vets Now and I believe it's about £180 to walk through the door.

The vet I use for my rescue rabbits is nothing like this as she does all of her own out of hours. Luckily I rarely have to use the service but when I have had to she's been wonderful and her pricing is very competative.

My work vets use an Emergency Vet service - Vets Now and I believe it's about £180 to walk through the door.

The vet I use for my rescue rabbits is nothing like this as she does all of her own out of hours. Luckily I rarely have to use the service but when I have had to she's been wonderful and her pricing is very competative.

Vets now are who I went to see. It was £136 for the consult (£36 for the base and then the rest for the emergency). I live in a very deprived area so I don't know whether that means it's a bit less.

Vets now are who I went to see. It was £136 for the consult (£36 for the base and then the rest for the emergency). I live in a very deprived area so I don't know whether that means it's a bit less.

That is exactly what we pay vets now as well. Our vets now are really good to us. If we go after 11pm when prices rise they still charge us a before 11pm consult. Twice they haven't charged for xrays which are normally £112! I can't fault them tbh :)

when phoebe had flysrtike we were quoted £380 for treatment plus any meds she needed :shock:

The out of hours vet i use charges £180 for a consult! This is where insurance is a godsend!

Exactly this! Given rabbits' ability have stasis episodes and their even greater ability to do it out of hours - thank god for insurance!!

My bunnies nearly always seem to have stasis episodes out of hours. Elijah's recent one at my local vets was £184 for a consultation after 10.30 pm C £160 for the OOH and 24 for the actual consultation.

It's a lot cheaper at my rabbit vets (haven't any recent bills to hand but c £120/£130 and there is no consult fee added to the OOH fee) and doesn't go onto the higher fee until after 11.00 pm.

Paid just over £200 on Friday night at emergency vets for Holly who went into stasis. At Park vets. Vet seemed to know what he was doing as well.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Paid just over £200 on Friday night at emergency vets for Holly who went into stasis. At Park vets. Vet seemed to know what he was doing as well.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

It's not so painful if they know what they're doing... The one that charges me £200ish had to look up in a book what stasis and E.C were. Then when I told him which meds to give, just did it with no input of his own! I dislike paying someone for me to tell them how to do their job :lol:

Back