• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flooring for Rexes?

midori1999

Alpha Buck
I'm thinking ahead really. I have two beautiful Rex girls coming to live with me next week. They will be indoors at first so on blankets/towels/carpet, but they will be moving outside at some point. Possibly in with my other pair, possibly on their own, but either way they will either be in a wooden shed lined with Lino or a kennel which is partly concrete slab flooring and I suspect neither of these will be great for their hocks.

I am thinking putting lots of hay down is probably the best thing, but I'm reluctant to do this, especially in summer as I suspect it will mean toile ting everywhere and will therefore attract flies. Is there any way to use hay as flooring but still have bunnies that only pee/poop in trays?

My second thought is to use those foam square things like these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JIGSAW-PLAY-ALPHABET-NUMBERS-LETTER/dp/B009VJH7R0/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_1_0

But I'm worried that they could be dangerous if chewed and that they may not be soft enough anyway.

Any thoughts or ideas please?

Thankyou. Isn't that kind of matting quite hard though? If it's not it's a good idea, as I'm guessing it's quite chew proof.

Jacks Jane on here is very experienced with rex rabbits and advises thick hay as a good substrate for them.

Thankyou Tulsi. I suspected hay may be the best option feet wise for that reason. I'd just prefer to avoid if possible for the reasons stated. Also, not sure what I'd do about disposal as that's a lot of hay and it would need cleaning and replacing at least every other day in summer I assume? However, if it's the best/only real option then I'll just have to find a way.

These are the first bunnies I've ever actually chosen. I've always just had whichever one the rescue felt was the best option for me or my existing bun/buns before, so this is quite a new experience.

I've used foam matting for Rexes and piggies with poorly feet and found it very effective but I'm lucky that no one has ever tried to chew it. The buns was just bare, the piggies have newspaper and vet bed on top theirs because they wee everywhere and the damp doesn't help their feet.

Back