• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeling really torn. UP DATE!

ridley

Warren Scout
Hello all. Feeling really torn and I need some advice

I was supposed to hear from Anna and Elsa's breeder yesterday about how they went at the vets and if Elsa has to stay with her mum or if she had her vaccinations. I still haven't heard anything and I even text her about 10am and and still haven't heard anything. I'm really concerned now that I might be taking on a bunny that already has some health problems which means I might be always down the vet with her.

Then today, we went to the local rescue centre and they had over 80 rabbits all wanting new homes. It was heart breaking! Then there were this pair....and I was in love instantly. They are a year old; a bun and her husbun.

They are vet checked, vaccinated and neutered and they both ate out of my hand and allowed me to stroke them!
I can't help but feel they so deserve another chance at a long and happy life.

So what do I do....? I know I can't grantee their health for ever but I'm worried now bout taking on two buns that I've never even met just because they're a bit "fancier" than the average bun- (no offence to anyone's buns you understand!!)...

What to do..........???????!!!!
Helen x

Last edited:
The decision is entirely yours, but if you have a gut feeling that the two EL may have problems then I dont think you should ignore it. I am a great believer in listening to a 'gut feeling'.

The other advantage of having the two Rescue Rabbits is that you wont have to go through all the stress and anxiety of having them neutered. No worries about them falling out before they are old enough to be neutered (as is a real possibility with the two ELs) and no worries about having to try to re-bond them. Re-bonding two Does who have previously fallen out could be a nightmare and may never work.

I am not going to be a hypocrite (well, no more than I already am............) and say dont get the ELs, they are here now too and deserve a loving home. But I do think the two Rescue Rabbits might work out better for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Edit: Agree with the above completely! :thumb:

Personally I'd rescue even if you've put down a deposit on the buns :p If there are over 80 needing homes!! But wait for a response from the breeder - either way you'll be offering forever homes to the buns you decide to adopt so make sure you have all the info before hand :) where is your local rescue? I'm in the Northants area too :)

[/QUOTE] where is your local rescue? I'm in the Northants area too :)[/QUOTE]

its NANNA 's rescue x

I think it's entirely up to you but if you fell in love with the rescue buns maybe it was meant to be! Them being neutered and vaccs is a definite advantage, and I'm sure the baby buns would get a home much easier than the rescues :)
I got my bun from a breeder, I fell in love with him instantly and he's my best bud but I do always feel guilty about not getting a rescue bun (I'll get him a rescue friend to make up for it!), but I think ultimately it comes down to which ones you feel more connected to :) go with your gut! I'm sure either would be great :)

I think it would be a lot easier getting two rescue bunnies for all the reasons above too. But won't your children be upset as I think they've already named the two babies etc?

What a difficult decision, I really feel for you. I think if it was me I would go for the rescue buns. I have in the past had buns from a pet shop and directly from a breeder so I can't say don't get the ELs. But what I have noticed is that the buns I have had from rescue have been far healthier. The bun I got from a breeder was also an EL and she went to the bridge aged just 6 months. :cry:

I think what Jane says is very wise, as usual!, and that you should go with what your heart says and only you know that.

I've got two rescue buns. Bonded, neutered, vaccinated and chipped before they came home. Two beautiful little souls who I adore.

I would say rescue every time :)

What a difficult decision, I really feel for you. I think if it was me I would go for the rescue buns. I have in the past had buns from a pet shop and directly from a breeder so I can't say don't get the ELs. But what I have noticed is that the buns I have had from rescue have been far healthier. The bun I got from a breeder was also an EL and she went to the bridge aged just 6 months. :cry:

Actually I don't see this as a difficult decision .. You had two rabbits reserved with a breeder, so what made you go and look at rescue rabbits? Something made you go :) And look what you found?

Two bonded rescue rabbits, no neutering, no spaying, no vaccinations - a real bargain. But that's not all .. Not only are you giving two lovely bunnies a home they deserved from the very start and didn't get, but you are FREEING UP two places so that two more bunnies can be offered the same privilege.

..I don't believe in coincidences :lol:

I'd be inclined to go with the rescues, for all the reasons already mentioned and because I've passed on a rescue rabbit before even though I had "a feeling" about him and I've regretted it ever since.

Actually I don't see this as a difficult decision .. You had two rabbits reserved with a breeder, so what made you go and look at rescue rabbits? Something made you go :) And look what you found?

Two bonded rescue rabbits, no neutering, no spaying, no vaccinations - a real bargain. But that's not all .. Not only are you giving two lovely bunnies a home they deserved from the very start and didn't get, but you are FREEING UP two places so that two more bunnies can be offered the same privilege.

..I don't believe in coincidences :lol:

this :thumb:

I'm sorry you're having stress over getting the bunnies home :(

Leaving aside the breeder/rescue situation, if the two at the rescue centre are friendly and loving then I would personally go with them, babies are very cute but sometimes you can't really tell what their personality will be until they get a bit older. I got Dany when she was 8 weeks and she was so soft and sweet, now she's 5 months and is completely wild! Unlike my boys she won't sit still for a cuddle or a stroke, nips and snatches food out of your hand :roll: I love her all the same, but I'd be annoyed if I'd bought her as a calm, friendly bun and instead ended up with a crazy wild one!

Hope you get sorted xx

update:

I have emailed the breeder and explained the situation as best I could. Then I rang the rescue and they said they will try and sort out a home visit for tomorrow!!!!

I had a real feeling about the two rescue ones and think they will be very happy with us! My children have already decided on new names for them....my son was particually pleased we are getting a boy bun so he could give it a name! I won't reveal them yet as I want to have photos and I don't want to jinx it!!

Thank you for all the advice! I'm going with my gut!!!

good luck! Having seen the set up I'd guess the rescue would love to send these bunnies to a great home like yours.

Eeek!!!

You've got a fantastic set-up, and it's brilliant the rescue got in touch so quickly.

Looking forward to updates, and seeing what names your children come up with!!;)

:love::love:

Back