• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excess cecotropes and now lump

EBM

Mama Doe
Just looking for a bit of advise before our trip to the vets. My rescue rabbit Ruthy has always had a few problems with her bottom, not cleaning it up properly and sometimes ending up with a dirty bottom. After cutting out all fruit and veg and only feeding hay, very small amount of pellets/fiberfirst, and fresh grass and danelions it had improved and she would only need her bottom cleaning occasionally. She went to the vets last month for her vaccination and had her teeth checked and the vet said they looked fine and to carry on with her current diet. This last week her bottom has got worse and needs cleaning/fur trimming everyday, nothing has changed in her diet so I've been puzzled as to what's casing it to get worse. Yesterday when checking her i noticed she had a small path of skin with no fur (it's hard to see as she has quite long fluffy fur) and where there is no fur is a rather large hard lump under the skin. At first I thought it was part of her hip bone or something but I can't feel anything similar on the other side. It's located on her underside just to the left of her bottom, sort of in the alcove between her bottom and leg. I'm really not sure what it is as it is hard and the skin doesn't have a mark on it or anything. I have booked the next available vet appointment, as I started to panic a bit after finding it. She is still eating well and pooing, she has always been a quiet bunny so it's hard to tell if she is feeling unwell or not.
I just wanted some advice as to what the vet should be doing/looking for when I take her in on Monday morning. Thanks

Sorry Ruthy hasn't been keeping too good. How old is she, and is she neutered?

she will be two in september so she isn't old, yes she is neutered, I did wonder if the bald patch could be where her spay scar was but not exactly sure if that's where it would be or if there'd be a mark on the skin. I really hope it's nothing too sinister :(

I'm at work now, can try have a go tomorrow. Rather difficult due to the positioning and the fact I'm handling her on my own!

Could she have caught it on something? Although it's an awkward place to nick.

I wondered that but there is no mark on the skin that i can see. I did wonder about scar tissue from spay, but hopefully the vet can enlighten me tomorrow. Her messy bottom has been much better today, think it's all the fresh grass she seems to be better when they have more access to grass.

well back from the vets and turns out I was being a bit silly and worrying about nothing! I checked her again before her vet visit and I couldn't really feel the lump I'd felt before, and the vet confirmed my suspicions - it was just her pelvis bone I'd felt, must have been the way she was sitting when I was examining her. So nothing to worry about there, the vet did complement her by saying she was a lovely lean rabbit, compared to most she sees! Still doesn't seem to be any real reason for the excess cecotropes, we think she just has a very sensitive tummy. I did get some right guard just to be sure, I'll still continue to check her bum all the time though. Couldn't believe how expensive the stuff was though! Which is why I normally would buy stuff like that online.

So sad while we were in the waiting room, someone rushed in with their neighbours elderly dog who had just collapsed :( he didn't look very well poor thing

Back