• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What can I use to make a digging pit/box indoors?

tashp90

Warren Veteran
My girls have recently become interested/obsessed with digging/burrowing/tunneling, so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of a way for me to create a digging pit/box indoors? Preferably one that is able to keep mess to a minimum :lol:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I think you are a glutton for punishment :wave: .. Pee on the bed .. Jumping on windowsill .. Holes in carpet ..

...Earth absolutely everywhere :lol:

I think you are a glutton for punishment :wave: .. Pee on the bed .. Jumping on windowsill .. Holes in carpet ..

...Earth absolutely everywhere :lol:
Haha I think you have a point! I'm hoping a digging box will stop the holes in the rug, and prevent Marble from keeping me up until 5 am :roll:

what about sand or would that get every where

I was thinking sand/earth in a plastic storage tub. That would suit my two little ones, not sure they do storage boxes big enough for Marble to dig in :lol:

I think you should convert your bed into a HUGE digging box .. it's surrounded by puppy panels after all :lol:

Then you can sleep in her cage and get a good night's sleep :p

I think you should convert your bed into a HUGE digging box .. it's surrounded by puppy panels after all :lol:

Then you can sleep in her cage and get a good night's sleep :p

That's a very good idea! Give Marble my bed, and sleep on the floor! Although I guarantee she wouldn't want to be on the bed then :roll:
I can't wait to bond her with Maizie and Daisy so they can all be in the living room :lol:

I'm having the same issue at the moment with Millie and Maddie who are determined to eat the carpet in every corner of the room :(

I've wedged a storage box next to their cage base under their hay feeder so they have a litter box either side of it now! That's saved one corner as it's wedged they can't move it. But I've tried putting cardboard boxes in the other two with hay or paper or toys in but they just throw the boxes out the way and yank up the carpet. They eat it too so I'm having to get up all the time, stop them, move the box back abd try distract them with something else! Sometimes it will only be once or twice a night and other times it will be every 5 minutes all evening and it's exhausting!

They also have massive cardboard eating sessions from the boxes and although it's not caused them any problems so far I'm worried it's not very good for them to keep eating it! They do eat a lot of hay too though.

Can't figure out what else to try, apparently carpet is really tasty! :(

kirotea could you not put bricks or something heavy in the corner? i use the bottom of a ferplast cage as a digging box i use earth because they are outdoors you could you shredded paper and hay?

kirotea could you not put bricks or something heavy in the corner? i use the bottom of a ferplast cage as a digging box i use earth because they are outdoors you could you shredded paper and hay?

:oops: Never even thought of putting something heavy in there doh :oops: I'm amazed at how strong they are so it'll have to be pretty heavy.

I'm just thinking as well I might buy them some floor tiles as I know a lot of people have them in the Summer for them to lie on. That could cover up one corner by the side window so it would be a cool place to doze. Doesn't solve the digging but saves another corner!

The other problem is that the last corner is behind the door and it's already a case of moving a box to go to the loo! The things we do for these rabbits! :lol:

Have you tried using like material throws Tashp90 or would they eat that?

Mill and Mad like to dig the throws I've put over the sofa and they've never eaten them or pooed on them. I tried putting the throws in a box in the corner then but they didn't get it at all! :roll:

I had the same issues (eating everything) and I admit I gave up on the idea of a digging box. I've just given them one now they're outside and they don't look very grateful so far!

I had the same issues (eating everything) and I admit I gave up on the idea of a digging box. I've just given them one now they're outside and they don't look very grateful so far!

That's the weird thing they don't actually eat everything. My lovely oak furniture has remained virtually untouched and so has the sofa. They went through a stage when I first got them of trying to eat one part of skirting board and the wall but now don't bother with that! Maybe they'll get bored of eating the carpet soon too!

:lol: They never look grateful for anything do they bunnies, not even food.

I use one of those hooded cat litter trays, with the flaps on the front. The flap contains the mess fairly well (a little bit is bound to come out, but nowhere as near as much in a normal storage box!) and my Alf really seems to enjoy using the flap :lol:

I use one of those hooded cat litter trays, with the flaps on the front. The flap contains the mess fairly well (a little bit is bound to come out, but nowhere as near as much in a normal storage box!) and my Alf really seems to enjoy using the flap :lol:

Ha ha, I used to have one of those for litter and Truffles used to push the fitch and hay out of the flap to spread it round the floor, just imagine the fun she'd have with one full of soil! :lol::shock: I've come to the conclusion I just have contrary rabbits.

What about something like what is in this photo, they have cut a hole in a large box with lid and put a ramp leading in:thumb: probably means you could use soil which is a favourite to dig as it's more natural without making a mess :thumb::wave:

What about something like what is in this photo, they have cut a hole in a large box with lid and put a ramp leading in:thumb: probably means you could use soil which is a favourite to dig as it's more natural without making a mess :thumb::wave:

Thats awesome.

Have you tried using like material throws Tashp90 or would they eat that?

Mill and Mad like to dig the throws I've put over the sofa and they've never eaten them or pooed on them. I tried putting the throws in a box in the corner then but they didn't get it at all! :roll:
They have towels, blankets etc but they don't dig at them :roll:

This is what I was thinking! Problem is finding one big enough for Marble to be able to successfully dig

Back