• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recently opened rescue needing a little advice

Hi all! I hope this is ok and doesnt sound too silly me asking this!! But i was wondering how i can go about things when people get intouch with me about bunnies, either for taking them in or wanting to adopt and i dont agree with something they have said/done or not understood why. I want to come across as professional but not sure how to without sounding like im telling them how to do things or not agreeing with them. Is there a way? or is it just part and parcel of running a rescue and sometimes having to be a little stern etc with people?? please help! :) lol

I've never run a rescue, so this is just my opinion but I've worked with a lot of rescue horses and I believe it is your call entirely on who you rehome to. You've taken the bunnies in to find BETTER homes than they had before, so I think it's fine to question/teach them a bit. I'd never rehome a horse, ever ever ever, to someone that didn't know what they were doing - it's just too risky for them and you've spent so much time making sure they have a better quality of life. Just be very friendly and open and they will be so in return. Hope that helps a bit :)

if you are taking a rabbit off someone then i think it is best to just leave it. if it is someone looking to adopt the above says it perfectly though i think you should try an educate them rather than just not home to them after all they could be the perfect bunny owner with a bit of help. if you have a website you could maybe make some guidelines and a care plan. :thumb:

if you are taking a rabbit off someone then i think it is best to just leave it. if it is someone looking to adopt the above says it perfectly though i think you should try an educate them rather than just not home to them after all they could be the perfect bunny owner with a bit of help. if you have a website you could maybe make some guidelines and a care plan. :thumb:

Yes, bunnies are a little different to horses :lol: I'd do as the above rightly suggests, if they seem capable.

Yes thank you, its just all a learning curve at the moment!! It does give me a little bit of a clearer idea just need to learn how to word things in a polite and friendly way. For example if i was to turn anyone away. I am always happy to give as much advice as they require but there are always the ones who would think rabbits are fine in standard hutches....i think most of the advice would fall on deaf ears.

Yes I can see how sometimes it might be difficult to get across to some people the level of care these buns need, and to do it in a way that doesn't sound offensive to their intelligence! Maybe just... "I'm sure you can appreciate these beautiful rabbits deserve a home where they will receive as much (or more!) attention as a cat or dog, with just as much space!" Just a firm but polite tone should do the trick :)

A good way to see how committed people are is to mention vet fees can also be equal to that of a cat or dog, in some cases exceeding them! And they need regular check ups and vaccinations not to mention maintanance of where they live, ie. cages, runs toys etc.

I foster and bond for a rescue so do frequently come across all sorts of people and situations. Do you have a set of standards you expect of potential adopters on your website? If not that might be an idea as people know what is acceptable before they call? Bottom line is though if your gut says wrong home for the rabbit you have to go with that. I know it upsets people sometimes but so be it. I always offer to see how things can be improved and will work with them if they are willing to. I have known people go to great lengths to improve life for their existing bun so he/she can have a friend. Handing buns in is more tricky. If the bun is in danger I will say whatever and nod along with anything said just to get that rabbit safe. If it's a bog standard we're bored with this rabbit I have no qualms about asking for a donation, outlining the costs we will have and probably sounding a bit snotty. However if it's unforeseen circumstances then I'm usually more sympathetic. I think the danger is becoming too cynical and judging the situation before you've listened to the full story. If you have the gold standard there as reference for people at least if you don't agree with what someone says you can refer to it and ask them how they think they meet that standard opening up a discussion rather than seeming like you're telling them. Bottom line is though sometimes you do have to be stern with people and that's ok as there are a lot of clowns out there luckily there seem to be enough nice people to balance things out! Not sure if any of that ramble helps lol. Good luck with the rescue xxx

Back