• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at homes pearls of wisdom..

floooble

Alpha Buck
Just been to get a shed load of cat food from pets at home and asked about a house for the bunnies, I went on to explain about how I'm rebonding bunnies.. ladies and gentlemen the advice I got was and I quote "why dont you just bathe them in the same smell...." :( in what shower gel :S!! She went on to tell me when they get a new batch of bunnies in they just have to put them in with the old bunnies and stand and watch for at least half an hour because one always fights......

Oh my days!!

hugs xx

Just been to get a shed load of cat food from pets at home and asked about a house for the bunnies, I went on to explain about how I'm rebonding bunnies.. ladies and gentlemen the advice I got was and I quote "why dont you just bathe them in the same smell...." :( in what shower gel :S!! She went on to tell me when they get a new batch of bunnies in they just have to put them in with the old bunnies and stand and watch for at least half an hour because one always fights......

Oh my days!!

hugs xx

Wow...just wow.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

:( That's awful.

I think p@h must vary greatly from store to store - I hear horror stories on here about them but our local one gives really good advice and they are careful about who they sell animals to (they want to see your cage/accommodation, ask loads of questions.) I was eavesdropping on a staff member selling a family two bunnies the other day, he told them to get them neutered as soon as they were old enough, and got them to buy the biggest hutch and run they had.

I chat to one of the staff members if I ever go in - he has a house rabbit who is 16 :shock: You can tell he really loves her from how he talks about her :)

I'm not defending them, I don't really like them selling live animals, but it's weird how a nation-wide company can have such varying standards :?

I am not keen generally on PAH generally but the staff in my local store are really nice to be fair. Molly always has to be carried out as they give her treats :lol:

I think I have a duff bunch near me, I had to leave the store in Bolton before I did someone an injury because of a member of staff's refusal to separate two bunnies who we're fighting, told me they weren't fighting and it was them playing.... I think I know the difference, poor little bunny was blatantly being bullied by the other bun.

Hugs xx

One close to us had one young member of staff teaching another to trance the rabbits. I asked her to stop and said why and the girl looked at me like I had gone mad and didn't say anything and just carried on.

I wrote an email but never got a response. Haven't been back since.

One close to us had one young member of staff teaching another to trance the rabbits. I asked her to stop and said why and the girl looked at me like I had gone mad and didn't say anything and just carried on.

I wrote an email but never got a response. Haven't been back since.

Did she say why she was trancing the rabbits? It may have been appropriate as a means of restraint eg for claw trimming - less risk of the rabbits injuring themselves.

Oh my days!!

hugs xx

:shock::shock::shock: omg! Because half an hour is long enough for them all to bond obviously!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:shock::shock::shock: omg! Because half an hour is long enough for them all to bond obviously!

Clearly it is...she sounded annoyed she had to wait half an hour. Thats obviously where I'm going wrong taking my time and introducing them slowly. .

hugs xx

Clearly it is...she sounded annoyed she had to wait half an hour. Thats obviously where I'm going wrong taking my time and introducing them slowly. .

hugs xx

Oh well then I should just put my three boys back together & leave them to it & never mind they could possibly kill each other :roll:

Oh well then I should just put my three boys back together & leave them to it & never mind they could possibly kill each other :roll:

Don't forget to bath them first in maybe some fruity shower gel....

hugs xx

A while ago now I was told that hamsters don't like cages that are too big :roll:

Haven't they mixed up hamsters with mice?? I've heard that if mice have a huge cage they can feel unsafe, not sure if it's correct though. My hamsters loved having loads of space!

Did she say why she was trancing the rabbits? It may have been appropriate as a means of restraint eg for claw trimming - less risk of the rabbits injuring themselves.

Nope. Just so she could cuddle the rabbit. I would still feel a bit uncomfortable with them being tranced for that to be honest, although probably wouldn't have complained if that were the reason. Our vets don't trance our rabbits to do their claws and Walt is a very skittish boy.

Nope. Just so she could cuddle the rabbit. I would still feel a bit uncomfortable with them being tranced for that to be honest, although probably wouldn't have complained if that were the reason. Our vets don't trance our rabbits to do their claws and Walt is a very skittish boy.

For cuddling them is clearly not on, they may well have taken it on board even if they didn't respond.

My vet wouldn't routinely trance for claw trimming but I would trust her judgement if she deemed it necessary. She probably needed to use it for Tink long in the past before I understood what trancing was, because Tink was at very high risk of hurting herself when being handled. They do trance for x-raying though and I'm happy with the reasons and explanation I've been given for this.

our branch doesn't have to mix old stock with new as any that are past the first cute stage get moved into their "adoption" area and then a trayfull of very young fluffy babies take their place in the ordinary sales bit :(

Back