• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do with my old hutch.........

xlaurax

Mama Doe
I'm planning on buying a new hutch from The Hutch Man (just need to wait until pay day to order it) and I'm now stuck with what to do with my old hutch. It's double storey, off the ground, 4 foot x 2 foot, but is now in a bit of disrepair (nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of effort).

My OH will not let me throw it away because we spent over £150 on it new (comes with cover as well) and in his eyes we don't need a new hutch anyway (longstanding issue - can't change his mind). So he's agreed to get the new hutch on the condition I don't just bin the old one...

Do you think if it was fixed up I could get a few quid for it on Gumtree as a guinea pig hutch? Anybody else sold old hutches before?

i think you could certainly sell it, but it depend on how much you want to get. you could get something selling it "as is" aka - needs some TLC but you could also sand it/put a lick of paint on it and sell it for a bit more maybe? Or keep it as an emergency hutch??!

ETA: ive just bought a second hand 4ft x 2ft hutch as a "bed" for my two in an open run. it is really run down, but perfect for me and i only paid £15 for it. Im assuming you want more for yours than that?!

Last edited:
I'm planning on buying a new hutch from The Hutch Man (just need to wait until pay day to order it) and I'm now stuck with what to do with my old hutch. It's double storey, off the ground, 4 foot x 2 foot, but is now in a bit of disrepair (nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of effort).

My OH will not let me throw it away because we spent over £150 on it new (comes with cover as well) and in his eyes we don't need a new hutch anyway (longstanding issue - can't change his mind). So he's agreed to get the new hutch on the condition I don't just bin the old one...

Do you think if it was fixed up I could get a few quid for it on Gumtree as a guinea pig hutch? Anybody else sold old hutches before?

Quite often people give me hutches to do up and sell. Most of the time they aren't 6ft, so providing they are big enough for piggies (4ft), I disinfect them, tart them up and sell them for piggy owners. I generally sell them on eBay, and make it very clear that I won't sell to rabbit owners (and include links to RWAF etc etc). The last one, which was 5.5ft, went for a summer home for a piggy trio.

Couple of examples:

IMG_0689.jpg

null_zps118f35a2.jpg

Thanks for your replies :wave:

I think I will tart it up and sell it. Even if I only get a bit for it, it's better than nothing!

I don't know how many rabbits you have, but even if it does not meet welfare standards I think it is handy to have a spare one for if one rabbit is unwell for any reason and needs to be separated as a temporary measure :)

I always keep a spare hutch available as I never know when there'll be a dire need for some poor rescue bun.

Depends if you have the space or not?

Im with others i would keep as a run shelter or spare hutch - just in case. I have a 3ft one bought as a run shelter/ just incase hutch, along with some puppy pen pannels in the garage.

Back