• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump Under Mouth

shadow05

Mama Doe
Hiya everybody,

I know its been a while not had no health problems with scooter until today when i noticed there wasn't something quite right with his mouth. So i had a looked checked his 2 front teeth like i was taught they looked okay so i started feeling around his face noticed he had what looked like or what i thought was a tuft of fur that was malting and felt his jaw there to find he has a lump. he will be going to the vets either tomorrow or Friday.

Would have taken him today but ive only just found it. Hes eating normally and drinking normally. the only thing ive noticed that these past couple of months was that hes drinking more. he doesnt seem to be in any pain and hes not bother if i touch it so long as i don't squeeze (im not squeezinfg it to hard just enough to check if its solid or not).

Not sure on what to think about it. i dont think its a tumor. it moves and its not hard

Plz no arguments about me not taking him to the vets straight away. Ive checked with my vets asked when is the soonest they can get him in and they said tomorrow and to keep an eye on him. which i am, staying in my bedroom for rest of today.

Right ive just managed to get a proper look under therewith his cooperation in return for a banna chip treat. i can see some yellow discharge thats dried on his fur under his chin. his paws are clean so is rest of his face.

It depends on the extent of the infection, what tooth/tooth root is involved, if there is also infection in the bone. Surgery is almost always essential. There is some information here :

Graphic images on this link

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Treatment/Facial/abs_dental.htm

Thank you i needed to see that :( i hope his chances are good hes still eating and drinking he does feel warmer than usual though :( Poor lad i hope he doesnt have to be put to sleep would suck its my bday tomorrow as well.

Ive decided that ill give him a chance with strong anti-biotics if they will let me try for him.

But if they suggest surgery ive decided that i wont put him through it because of the after care and the fact that it may come back. I also cant afford it finicial as much as id like to try for him. i wudnt want to put him through that :(

Ive decided that ill give him a chance with strong anti-biotics if they will let me try for him.

But if they suggest surgery ive decided that i wont put him through it because of the after care and the fact that it may come back. I also cant afford it finicial as much as id like to try for him. i wudnt want to put him through that :(

Even if you don't want the full blown surgery, you can often get good results by having the vet lance and drain the abscess, if that's what it is. He may need some sedation for that, as it may be painful for him. And you would have to clean out the abscess cavity twice daily.

If the vet gave him injectable penicillin you would have to do that either every day or every other day ...

I hope your vet is used to dealing with rabbits:)

Back