• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

susie and stasis - urgent advice appreciated

Jesselle

Mama Doe
see previous thread for background http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?423125-susie-isn-t-herself-this-morning-(/page2

susie has been at the vets today for care after going into gi stasis.

just had an update. she hasn't eaten but has taken her syringe feeds and meds and is apparently bright in herself.

i now need to decide whether to bring her home or leave her overnight at the vets:

vets: she'll be monitored until 9pm. there is no one there overnight. if she hasn't eaten, she'll be in the right place to be monitored throughout tomorrow.

home: she can be watched overnight-ish. i'll be up til about 11pm. however, i'll leave for work at 8am and won't be back tip 6pm. if she comes home and needs the vets, i'll have to be late for work etc etc.

i'm totally confused on what's best. she's with her husbun and i bet the both of them are fed up!

If it was me I would bring them home and monitor her throughout the night then take back the next day as necessary but I have a really understanding boss so I don't know how practical that is for you.

Fortunately my vets have nurses on site 24hrs and an on call vet if I ever needed it but unless they are really poorly and need drugs/treatments I cannot give I often find that my buns recover better in a familiar enviroment.

my gut (ha) says to bring her home...

i'm proposing options to my boss now. she's understanding and has let me work from home today...

Do they know what caused it? Have her teeth been checked etc? Are her and Neville settled now since the scrap?

I'd bring her home, providing your boss is OK with you working at home tomorrow/possibly going in later as you'll probably be very tired from checking her throughout the night! That way you can syringe feed her every few hours, which is a lot better than being left from 9pm until whenever the vets opens again, probably around 7/8am? She'd be around 10 hours or so without any food, which obviously isn't good for a bunny in stasis!

Also you can keep an eye on her and Neville, just in case - worst case scenario - they have another falling out and Neville doesn't like Susie being ill.

Good luck!

ETA: just re-read your post, to be honest I wouldn't want to leave a bun in stasis from 11pm until 8am without having any syringe food - that's quite a while, especially if she isn't feeding on her own. Obviously it all depends on work and I totally understand about all of that, but it's just my opinion :)

Last edited:
Are they moulting as this can cause gut slowdown. I would opt for them to come home - if there had been someone there all night I would have said leave them but these episodes normally only last for a day so she could start eating tomorrow with a bit of help tonight. Fingers crossed she feels like eating soon.

Neville's been moulting for a while, yeah.

I'm not sure what they were talking about when they said she was bright. She's sitting with her eyes squinted and doesn't look very happy.

Has she had some Metacam? It must be quite painful for them :(

She has.

Poor darling. Her and Neville are sat together now - it's med and syringe feed time though. I hope the syringe feed is the right thing to do! If she hasn't eaten by tomorrow, she has to go back in.

I'm sorry she's not doing too well. I was in this situation a couple of weeks ago and I totally understand how hard it is to syringe feed.

How is she taking it?

Don't lose hope yet. I rushed Dee in as an emergency a couple of weeks ago at 11pm. She was in a really, really bad way and Sarah (vet) literally took one look at her and knew Dee was a very poorly bunny. I was so, so convinced she was going to die, it was horrible. She has, however, made a miraculous recovery and although she's not 'well' yet, she's out of stasis and is on the road to recovery! Keep sticking with it for a little while longer, I really hope she starts to improve soon.

Thanks for sharing - it helps to hear that they can look terrible but Pick up.
She ended up with a lot of the liquid food on her face! Not very dignified :( She took some water though - she's also peed on the carpet.

She keeps thudding down as she stretches out. Her eyes are half closed and she's really lethargic. I don't know what to do apart from syringe feeding little and often and offering foods and liquids.

No poops and no eating. All she seems to want to do is lie down. I really hope she gets through the night :(

Give her gentle tummy rubs and listen for any movement. Also keep her warm. When Springy had it he slept under the radiator and peed on the carpet which was unlike him but I'd say that's a good thing as it might relieve some pressure if nothing else. If she's got a bad tummy food may be last on her mind although why not try something smelly like banana. I've heard weetabix is good in a small amount but haven't tried myself.

Keep the tummy rubs up I'm certain she'll be okay she may just need a little while for the gut stimulant to begin working it's magic x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Just been to try and feed her - she was in the same spot I left her in 3 hrs ago:(

She's still not eating and I don't think I've managed to get much of the drugs/liquid food into her.

She's got a wet face and chin and I'm worried it's going to end up getting nasty.

I think she'll have to go back in to the vets tomorrow sadly. But I'm not 100% on their care to be honest.

I feel like I'm going to lose her :(

No eating or drinking and very lethargic. Idk what to do :cry:

Do you know if she's had either Vetergesic/Buprenorphine as well as Metacam? If she has had either of these opiate based drugs it could explain the lethargy.

I hate looking after them at home when they are in that state and it does sometime go on for a day or two. Having read your more recent post about vets and care, I think this kind of situation highlights how useful it is to have a vet that does 24/7 care as it's so much less stressful (for both parties most probably) to be able to have them admitted until they are at a better stage of recovery.

I hope she looks brighter and wants to eat soon.

Bunny buddy - I'm not sure what she had. But she came home with meloxicam.

She's actually brighter this morning! She's not eating anything I offer, but she's got her eyes open and she's now having a wash after being covered in meds and liquid feed.

Last night she didn't even have the strength to struggle.

I'm hoong this is a good sign!

Last edited:
Back