• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

unexpected babies from stray rescued rabbit-litter of 6,3 now passed away

pofow

Young Bun
hi there, my name is Pauline and I'm looking for advice, my daughter found a stray rabbit last month it took my two days to catch the poor thing but eventually I did, we brought her home and the plan was to keep her a few days then rehome her but she ended up staying lol, Anyway 27 days after rescuing her she had a littler of 6 babies obliviously unexpected has I don't know anything about her back ground, so mum rabbit was left alone she is very well fed and watered with hardly any interaction for the first two days, the babies were born Friday 23rd, y she was checked briefly Saturday and then on Sunday morning I checked her and two babies were out of the nest one was unfortunately dead and the other barely alive,
I brought the alive baby in to get warm and then placed it back in the nest.
Sunday/Monday everything fine with babies and mum, Tuesday another dead baby out of the nest, so now we have 4,this morning to my horror only 3 left and I believe she has eaten the 4th as there is a small amount of blood in her hutch.. the babies are 5 days old, I understand cannibalism is something that happens but why would 2 die and she didn't eat them, eat one and still have 3 surviving? I'm slightly confused.. any advice welcome.

Rabbits are known to kill newborn kits if he or she has something wrong with it.
Im sorry for your losses
Binky free babies x

thank you for replying, I understand sometimes they will cannibalise there young my confusion is that she didn't eat the first 2 babies that passed away, the first to pass away was 2days old and she was sitting next to it in the morning, the second was 4 days old again she didn't eat it, then through the night she's done what she's done to a 5 day old baby?? I'm confused to why not the first and second.

You might never know why this has happened, rabbits have their ways ad we don't understand all there is to know about them. Maybe she hasn't enough milk or it could be some other reason. Sorry I can't throw more light on this.

thank you for your replies, I have checked this morning and we still have 3 kits which I'm very happy about. fingers crossed these little ones make it.

Back