• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thumper is now home from having her neutering

moorevfr

Young Bun
Charlie and Thumper went in today for their spays and first jabs. Thumper went first for her op and as she was the bigger out the pair and unfortunately she had a complication but she recovered fine and the nurse on when I went to collect them didn't tell me what actually went wrong but said she has come round fine in the end! Due to the complication they said it wasn't right to do Charlie because she is smaller than thumper and said the risks were greater! Wait another 6-8weeks for her was their advice.

I've cleaned out there cage and disinfected it before they got home put a thin layer a fresh hay all over the cage from tips I've read so there is food not far away from her and also so if they wee it soaked to the bottom.

Put a nice pet blanket on where she like to perch ready which has went straight to like I thought and I've placed a water bowl on there with a handful of hay.

I am giving her the space she wants Charlie is going to check on her and also seems to be getting her to eat and drink a little too which is good.

With Charlie missing her neutering and just having the jabs she is her same old like nothing has happened, in a way I am glad only one was done as it would be hard to see them both how fragile Thumper is looking.

Just have to keep an extra eye on Thumper and check her daily. She has a follow up appointment Friday to make sure she is recovering well roll on then.

I am the one being more concerned than my girlfriend but with it me having the duties of cleaning and feeding them guess I've bonded most with them and alway walk in saying come to Daddy. :p

I think she is eating but not 100% sure incase Charlie has helped herself to the food I placed near her.
I just had to split them up from fighting, luckily I was checking up on them and saw Charlie jump by her and guess knocked her and they started fighting so now from that made the decision to keep Thumper in the cage for a few days they both will share the room and have access to water and food just Thumper will have her own space till she recovers more I really don't want to risk them falling out.

Do you guys think that is right what I am doing?

I don't have any girl bunnies so haven't experienced this, but what you are doing makes sense to me. Thumper will be feeling quite fragile. Did the vet give you pain relief for her? If you are concerned I would phone the vet and ask for advice. :wave:

No the vet didn't give me anything to take home for her, they said they'd given her a strong pain killer injection that should do it for her.
She is eating tho just let her out of the cage and she came and ate her pellets.

I am worried now though as Charlie seems scared of Thumper when she come close to Charlie it made her dart away and she did this each time.
Is it she is just scared at the moment due to the fallout this morning and will eventually come to trust her again as Thumper is showing no signs of aggression and even just stroke up against her.

I don't know what to do?

No the vet didn't give me anything to take home for her, they said they'd given her a strong pain killer injection that should do it for her.
She is eating tho just let her out of the cage and she came and ate her pellets.

I am worried now though as Charlie seems scared of Thumper when she come close to Charlie it made her dart away and she did this each time.
Is it she is just scared at the moment due to the fallout this morning and will eventually come to trust her again as Thumper is showing no signs of aggression and even just stroke up against her.

I don't know what to do?

It could just be that Thumper smells 'weird' due to the operation and they'll settle down in a day or two but I think you've done the right thing separating them for now since Thumper will need time to recover.

I hope thumper makes a good recovery :wave: you definitely did the right thing by splitting them so she can have some peace and quiet!

I would definitely go back to the vet and ask for a course of pain relief to administer at home, the injection only lasts 24hours which is nowhere near long enough for such a major op

I am booked to take her in tomorrow for a follow up so will hopefully get to speak to the vet instead of the nurse and get her to check if she is in too much pain and demand some pain management. I was not impressed with the nurse that dealt with me her attitude and the way she speaks does not like to connect with you and just give the impression of not really caring when asking her questions no personal touch to any of it.
In away I should have know could be like this as it was companion vets that are based within Pets at Home. I think I will be shopping around for when I take Charlie to be done to somewhere thats got a good reputation.

It's a very stressful time for us and bunny of course, even when you've had loads neutered you still worry that this is the one where something is going to go horribly wrong. Anyway by tomorrow she shouldn't need more pain relief, normally, unless you are sure she is suffering. Hope she continues to get over her operation.

You wouldn't give a human a hysterectomy and not prescribe pain relief, why should a rabbit be any different? I certainly dont think she will be feeling fine after 2 days! i would be inclined to pop in today and ask for pain relief to give her today

I've been monitoring her closely from work using the bunny cam and my girlfriend is off work for the week and is also at home keeping an eye.
She doesn't seem to be showing any signs off stress and I know animals are pretty good at hiding they are in pain.
Like i mentioned already is really surprisingly how well she seems to be taking it all she running over soon as enter the room and when on her own just jumping around on the different platforms with a few rests in-between.
I really expected her to just sit on her perch where i placed a nice new comfy pet blankets and rest/recover and sulk and not be social for a few days and she has instead decided she doesn't want to do that guess its female power and not letting it get to her :p

I am happy to say that Charlie seems to have gotten over their incident now and Thumper is able to come up from behind her without Charlie freaking out and doing a runner they are even cuddling and grooming together again, as said think it could have been the smell and her not being 100% sure thats was Thumper and especially after Thumper giving her a fright to.

In away I am glad that it was just the one in the end to be done because be a right pain managing two to look after and I think Charlie being smaller and not as brave as Thumper will be the one that needs more attention when its her turn and luckily my girlfriend will be off work again when it is her turn.

Back