• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kerbie & his dental

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
Kerbie had his first dental today :( We thought it was just a small spur forming but apparently there were some nasty bits hiding at the back :( He has a few cuts in his mouth :(

I feel terrible :cry: That's 5 out of 6 rabbits that have needed dentals now and may need them in the future, I spend so much money on hay and keeping them happy it's so disheartening when things like this happen. But it has to be done and I know I can't always prevent it :( He is much brighter in himself already, he ate hay as soon as he got into his litter tray and that is the first time in a few weeks I've seen him do that. It's mainly been nibbles of hay but lots of readigrass/forage/veg etc.

We have the cat metacam and it says 1kg dosage but no idea if it will be enough :? He weighs 1.5kg.

I hope Kerbie recovers well :)

You're right, sometimes however much hay they eat, it doesn't prevent needing dentals. I have a nethie, and his back teeth grow in all directions and make it difficult for him to eat hay and grass. However much the vet grinds them down, they'll never work very well. But he's a happy boy and that's all that matters :wave:

Poor little man :( glad he's feeling better though :) that metacam dose seems very low; even with the dog metacam they generally get a higher dose than a dog would :? X

Poor little man :( glad he's feeling better though :) that metacam dose seems very low; even with the dog metacam they generally get a higher dose than a dog would :? X

I know, I'm still really annoyed about it :( It was the pain in the backside vet who was in surgery today, I had no idea otherwise I would have set another date for it. He doesn't routinely give metacam so when he does, it's the cat stuff or nothing :evil: We are usually given dog metacam by our regular vet, but this guy is so "I am the vet, I know best", which is why he was willing to let a rabbit go home with no further painkiller :roll: :evil:

I hope he recovers quickly and is feeling better :love:

I hope Kerbie recovers well :)

You're right, sometimes however much hay they eat, it doesn't prevent needing dentals. I have a nethie, and his back teeth grow in all directions and make it difficult for him to eat hay and grass. However much the vet grinds them down, they'll never work very well. But he's a happy boy and that's all that matters :wave:

He is ripping food from my hands :roll: :lol: He has eaten a lot of everything and pooped loads so I'm pleased, I'm going to keep a close eye on him but will probably ring our usual vet tomorrow and pick up some dog metacam for him. I don't think the cat one will do a lot for the damage inside his mouth :? :roll: But for now he's being a terror again :lol:

I know, I'm still really annoyed about it :( It was the pain in the backside vet who was in surgery today, I had no idea otherwise I would have set another date for it. He doesn't routinely give metacam so when he does, it's the cat stuff or nothing :evil: We are usually given dog metacam by our regular vet, but this guy is so "I am the vet, I know best", which is why he was willing to let a rabbit go home with no further painkiller :roll: :evil:

It's so frustrating, I've seen my fair share of vets like that :evil: i actually thought my current vet wasn't too bad with the metacam dosing, until i went to the exotics vet in Manchester and he doubled it!! :shock: so now i go off what he said and ignore my own vets doses :roll:

I do sympathise with you having so many dental rabbits.

Mottle has had his spurs done under ga and recently had them rasped during a check up/vaccs visit. Now Tessie and Daisy have got ridges on their back molars which, although not spurs, may get worse in the future ...

Glad Kerbie is eating and pooing well. Hope he doesnt need a dental again for AGES!

Back