• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Small Litter Tray and Hay Rack Issue

When Skye comes back from her spay i was planning on using a shallower litter tray. I do have one but the bunnies like to snuggle together in the litter tray. Unfortunatley the tray isnt big enough for the bunnies to snuggle together. When Pepsi and Skye come back from the vets on friday will i still be able to use the 32 litre storage box still. The litter in the tray is fitch so its a soft landing when she goes in the tray. I am planning on putting a hay rack up but the problem is Skye loves to jump in the hay rack. I dont want her to hurt her self. They go to the vets on Thursday morning and come back Friday afternoon some time, so the vet can observe her ins and outs. So can i use the storage box as a litter tray still and still have hay in the tray instead of a rack.

I'd say nothing with a high side - I used a low cardboard box and cut away two sides, thickly lined with newspaper it'll last we'll enough or can be replaced easily. Strictly no hay in the letterbox.

I'd say nothing with a high side - I used a low cardboard box and cut away two sides, thickly lined with newspaper it'll last we'll enough or can be replaced easily. Strictly no hay in the letterbox.

what about putting a wooden bendy bridge to help her get in and what am i going to do about the hay as she jumps in the hay rack

Well it's up to you really but you just want to prevent her jumping so she doesn't pull the stitches (or rip them open!) or scrape her tummy on the edges getting in or out.

I think she has to have a hay rack (my little girl has always jumped in the hay rack too!). The danger is that hay or straw bedding will scratch and irritate the wound - I doubt she'll spend that long sitting in there but you can monitor that.

For the first 24 hours she's likely to be pretty sleep and your main problem will be getting her eating and pooping.

The first morning saw my girl jump back in to the run she was living in in the kitchen, teetering on the wooden edge while I decided how best to lift her down without hurting her tum!

Well it's up to you really but you just want to prevent her jumping so she doesn't pull the stitches (or rip them open!) or scrape her tummy on the edges getting in or out.

I think she has to have a hay rack (my little girl has always jumped in the hay rack too!). The danger is that hay or straw bedding will scratch and irritate the wound - I doubt she'll spend that long sitting in there but you can monitor that.

For the first 24 hours she's likely to be pretty sleep and your main problem will be getting her eating and pooping.

The first morning saw my girl jump back in to the run she was living in in the kitchen, teetering on the wooden edge while I decided how best to lift her down without hurting her tum!

They both stay at the vets for the first night so the vet can see if shes eating, peeing and pooping. i would of give her a cardboard box but i dont have any. They are staying in the shed without access to there run incase she catches her tummy on the cat flap and i am not letting free range in the garden as she jumps on everything. After a few days i will allow her in a spare run on the grass while the boy free ranges.( it causes no problems between them). they are havign blankets on the shed floor so its comfy. i have every sorted but the litter tray and hay rack. If i put the rack higher i dont want her to stretch but if i put it lower she will jump into it.

Back