• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny possibly required for grieving trio - FAO rescues & anyone who can ...

Sarah1989

Warren Veteran
************UPDATE - all sorted, thank you ****

So I had a quad - Badger, Blueberry, Slipper & Blackavar. 4 weeks ago today, Badger suddenly passed away in the night. The remaining three boys were initially ok with each other, but two weeks ago, Blackavar started fighting with Blueberry and then Slipper and any subsequent attempts to rebond them have been disastrous - they go for each other on sight. I've posted a couple of threads both today and yesterday asking for help what I should do.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?423002-What-should-I-do
^^^^^ following this thread yesterday, I was going to leave them in a pair & a single for now and possibly get a bunny for Blackavar later on.

Then today, I was thinking about possible enclosures for them and following this thread.....
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?423064-Help-working-out-size-for-new-enclosure

I would not be able to provide them both with the minimum 44sqft space required in that room. Moving them elsewhere in the house isn't an option either as they still wouldn't receive that space and my OH wouldn't allow it. The room is 10x8, so 80sqft, so each "set" could only have 40sqft at most. Then it was suggested I try bonding them as a quad again.

Your thoughts? Do any of you have a bunny who you think would be ok to form a quad with my boys and have the room as originally planned?

I'd rather not go looking, as I've spent quite a while seeing bunnies in rescue that for various reasons haven't worked out and really upset me and with loads of other things going off right now in my personal life, I don't really want to get back on that emotional roller coaster just yet. But I do obviously want to do what is best for my bunnies.

Just one more thing to add.... Following my car accident 2 weeks ago, I'm extremely nervous at driving and I didn't like long distance driving anyway. I know some rescues have a policy that you need to visit them first, so in that case, I'd prefer to stay locally. If that's not a problem, then I have no qualms about adopting further afield. I hope that makes sense! :?

Last edited:
I don't think that adding a fourth bunny will help at all, if your current ones are going for each other :? Then you will just have a further problem of how to house the extra bun! I really don't think that's a solution unfortunately x

I don't think that adding a fourth bunny will help at all, if your current ones are going for each other :? Then you will just have a further problem of how to house the extra bun! I really don't think that's a solution unfortunately x

I have to agree. I think you would be adding to your stress by taking on another Rabbit at the moment.

On the other thread it was suggested you add different levels to the enclosure. I think that is a good idea.

No, I wasn't sure, just grasping at straws ATM so looking at all possible suggestions.

I have to agree. I think you would be adding to your stress by taking on another Rabbit at the moment.

On the other thread it was suggested you add different levels to the enclosure. I think that is a good idea.

Yes, that was suggested after I'd posted this one... I much prefer the levelled idea than getting another rabbit at this time. I shall amend this thread & stick with whatever plan number I'm now on by having levels and a pair & temporary single.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: thank tou to both for advise :thumb:

Hi as you know I had the issue bonding my trio and had to admit defeat when Moley wouldn't accept Py. I was stuck in exactly the same situation as yourself as Py needs to live outside (currently a housebun) and we had designed our shed for a group. So my choices were A) a quad - quickly decided and told this would be a bad idea. B) re home Py - he is such a sweetie and has already been rehomed twice I couldn't do that to him again I promised him a home. C) share the shed with Moley and Pop which is the option we are going with. He will have less space then he currently has but he will have lots of levels and supervised free range time. Mole and pop lose space too but they will also have free range time (obvs not with Py) so in the end they will all be on equal terms as they are now.

I hope your situation sorts it's self out and although it's not out chosen ideals at least we get to keep our buns and carry on to give them the best we know we can :love:

Hi as you know I had the issue bonding my trio and had to admit defeat when Moley wouldn't accept Py. I was stuck in exactly the same situation as yourself as Py needs to live outside (currently a housebun) and we had designed our shed for a group. So my choices were A) a quad - quickly decided and told this would be a bad idea. B) re home Py - he is such a sweetie and has already been rehomed twice I couldn't do that to him again I promised him a home. C) share the shed with Moley and Pop which is the option we are going with. He will have less space then he currently has but he will have lots of levels and supervised free range time. Mole and pop lose space too but they will also have free range time (obvs not with Py) so in the end they will all be on equal terms as they are now.

I hope your situation sorts it's self out and although it's not out chosen ideals at least we get to keep our buns and carry on to give them the best we know we can :love:

Yes that's true. I could never ever part with my boys, I love them all in different ways. Blackavar my snuggle bun, norty Slipper the Psycho & pretty Blueberry, Badger's brother. I've decided to split the room in half - they may get less space then they would have done, but it's better than one being caged for 24 hours at a time whilst the other has the whole room.

Btw, we haven't seen Moley for a while.... A new setup means we need new piccies ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hehe I will get some photos of him tomorrow he is not very cooperative at the moment, he is in a grump because we went away for a couple of days, the house sitters said Moley was hilarious, more like mischievous and bossy :lol:
I think that your solution sounds better for every bun involved :thumb:

Back