• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sudden aversion to food bowls?

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have any idea why a rabbit might suddenly refuse to eat out of a food bowl?

They've been fed out of food bowls for the majority of the time they've been bonded (just over three years, Milly is really greedy so it was easier to make sure they were both getting the right amount!), but the last two nights Charlie has ignored his evening pellets. Still happy to eat hay and the pellets they're fed through the day, so last night I tipped the pellets out of the bowl and he ate them.

He'll drink out of the water bowl though.

I know it's a strange question to ask, but does anyone have a clue why he might have decided on this? Because I sure don't!

Bunnies

Mine stopped drinking out of bottles for a few weeks and had to have bowls. But then they went back to bottles being ok too and have both

A smell on the food bowl? New detergent?

Shouldn't be, I haven't changed the cleaner I use since January. Can't think what other smell could get on the bowls, nothing in the room has changed!

Starting to think he's just trying to worry me :lol:

Do they share a bowl? Could his partner be overly defensive and have been scaring him off of it so much that now he doesn't even try?

Do they share a bowl? Could his partner be overly defensive and have been scaring him off of it so much that now he doesn't even try?

Nope, I've always used two to make sure that never happened. I don't even leave the bowls right next to each other when I feed them

My mam fed him last night (I'm at OHs) and he ate out of his bowl fine. So either hes over it, or he doesn't like the food bowls when I feed him :roll:

Wish my rabbit was normal!

My inside two have taken to waiting for OH to hand feed them at night, but only if he feeds them, they'll happily run circles round the bowl and wolf it down if anyone else feeds them. Contrary little monkeys.

Hector has two identical bowls - one for pellets and one for veg. He always tips the veg one over to eat off the floor but eats pellets from the bowl.... He also throws the veg bowl (when empty) around the room. I have no idea why!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mam fed him last night (I'm at OHs) and he ate out of his bowl fine. So either hes over it, or he doesn't like the food bowls when I feed him :roll:

Wish my rabbit was normal!

He/she is!! :lol:

I think this sums it up perfectly:
9a3atyda.jpg

He ate out of tbe bowl for my mam that one night and since he won't touch it again. Scatter feeding and hes still fine. I don't like scatter feedimg their main meal, I like making sure they're both eating enough/not too much. Awkward rabbit!

Back