• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First Night in Shed - Advice please!

LMG10

New Kit
Morning folks!

After months of preparation, we finally moved our 2 indoor bunnies outside yesterday. We bought a new shed and installed a small hutch as a bedroom area. They also have all their toys, bowls and their cardboard castle (their fave thing!). I bought a large run from the Welfare Hutch Company and a pipe connector to attach it to the shed. We remove it at night though (otherwise I dont think I'd get any sleep for worrying!)

We decided to move them outside after we moved into a new house and they loved being in the garden. The house wasn't really working for them for various reasons.

Over the last few days, they spent gradually more and more time in the shed just so they could get use it during the day and then finally they spent last night.

Anyway (sorry for the rambling) when I checked on them this morning, they were on edge and didn't seem happy at all :( I'm feeling very guilty now! They hadn't eaten their snack pack of veg so it makes me think they were on edge all night! Their ears also seemed a bit cold....

I know rabbits don't adapt to change in their routine (mine especially!) but has anyone had any experience with this?

Their hutch in the shed is full of straw and hay but I don't think they've realised that's where their supposed to sleep. Do you think they will eventually work it out?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks x

Hi! Just give them time basically. Everything will smell different and they probably don't feel as protected as in the house. I've just put 2 outside and they seemed a bit shell-shocked even though they had spent 5 years outside prior to this winter, so I am sure in a week or 2 your bunnies will be feeling much more settled.

They are probably hearing all sorts of different noises now and it's probably making them uneasy. I think give them time and they will realise it's a fun place to be ..

Thanks guys :) you have put my mind at rest

Just had a panic when I saw them this morning all stressed out :( Nipped home at lunchtime and they are sound asleep in the shed - obviously catching up on some ZZZ's!

Thanks for the replies:wave:

Thanks guys :) you have put my mind at rest

Just had a panic when I saw them this morning all stressed out :( Nipped home at lunchtime and they are sound asleep in the shed - obviously catching up on some ZZZ's!

Thanks for the replies:wave:

Bit like us sometimes .. stay up all night worrying about nothing, then nod off during the day :lol: :lol:

Awww...sounds like they are ok now then! Just like a kid being in a new room in a new house for the first night! Im sure they will be fine from now on! x

Hi :wave:
I moved charlie and lola outside last tuesday and I was surprised to come out in the morning to find lola (she's normally very nervous and has to be reassured by charlie) absolutely fine, she came running upto me for her breakfast and went straight out the catflap when I opened it. Charlie (normally very confident and cheeky) was a nervous wreck :( he wasn't too keen on his pellets and I even tried enticing him with some dandelions and grass but he just hid. I felt really guilty and was worried he would get sick but by Wednesday afternoon he was fine :thumb:
Sorry for the essay, but I wanted you to know that rabbits are sometimes unpredictable, and they can surprise us by how they react to things. They will soon learn that they are safe, you might need to give them a few extra treats until then ;) :lol:

Thanks everyone for the reassurance :)

Paddy and Penelope seem a lot more settled now and seem happy when i check on them in the morning - what a relief! They def have better quality life outside now :love:

Back