• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Insurance query re: stomach problems - can anyone help?

Lucy-Lou

Mama Doe
Hoping someone more medically knowledgable than me could offer some advice :wave:

Barney went to the emergency vet a few months ago for GI stasis (usual symptoms, not eating or pooing, pressing stomach to floor, not moving around.) first time he's had this problem and the vet treated it no problem and he recovered well. Cost was about £200.

Tried to claim this through Petplan and have been refused as Barney had previously been seen for 'gastro-intestinal problems' before being insured and thus is not covered.

The only previous thing he saw the vets for (apart from his sneezing which has been treated) was for excess/slightly runny caecotrophs. Am I right in thinking that the caecum is a seperate organ? And caecotrophs pass from here to the bowel and straight out, not through the stomach or intestines? If this is the case then how is it a gastro-intestinal problem?

Just wondering if I have any chance of challenging the insurer's decision as I would really like that 200 quid back!

No, personally I can see where Petplan are coming from. From their point of view excess caecals will be a 'poo' issue and therefore is an gastro-intestinal problem.

I would appeal as they appear to be saying they won't cover anything related to the gut at all. That is like saying a person's appendicitis isn't covered because they had a stomach ulcer previously.
It is "conditions" that are excluded, not areas of the body so they might exclude excess caecotrophs but stasis is not the same thing and I don't think they can exclude whole areas of the body like that.
I'd appeal in writing and ask your vet to write explaining the two incidents are unrelated and NOT the same condition.

I would appeal as they appear to be saying they won't cover anything related to the gut at all. That is like saying a person's appendicitis isn't covered because they had a stomach ulcer previously.
It is "conditions" that are excluded, not areas of the body so they might exclude excess caecotrophs but stasis is not the same thing and I don't think they can exclude whole areas of the body like that.
I'd appeal in writing and ask your vet to write explaining the two incidents are unrelated and NOT the same condition.
Ahhh, I didn't realise it was only specific conditions that are excluded. I thought once you'd had a 'gut/stomach' issue that meant all similar issues would be excluded. This is good to know for future reference. :)

Ahhh, I didn't realise it was only specific conditions that are excluded. I thought once you'd had a 'gut/stomach' issue that meant all similar issues would be excluded. This is good to know for future reference. :)

Yeah this is what they've told me, don't think she really understood what I was on about mentioning caecotrophs etc. but said any 'gastro' issues were now excluded. I think that's a bit of a rip-off to be fair, if your bunny was treated for a cut on his ear before he was insured, then later down the line got ear mites, would they exclude that, as they're all 'ear' issues? :?

I agree that it is worth challenging because it's clearly not the same issue and realistically it should be covered, although if they have stated in their terms and conditions it's not covered then they probably won't back down. It is very unfair though not to be covered for stasis just because of the previous problem.

Looking at Rudy's policy his exclusion states: "Excluding claims resulting from or connected to Gastro-Intestinal/Digestive system Disorders".

So they are excluding everything digestive not just one condition. (However, this exclusion is because of GI stasis episodes).

With Rudy also we have an exclusion for mouth and oral disorders and eye disorders and facial abscesses.... all of this one stems from him needing to have dental spurs burred once at the age of one (now 7 with no further problems. I could understand them excluding mouth/dental but they are taking the Michael with eyes and facial abscesses.

Yeah this is what they've told me, don't think she really understood what I was on about mentioning caecotrophs etc. but said any 'gastro' issues were now excluded. I think that's a bit of a rip-off to be fair, if your bunny was treated for a cut on his ear before he was insured, then later down the line got ear mites, would they exclude that, as they're all 'ear' issues? :?

Yeah to be fair now I'm actually thinking about this, it does seem ridiculous that they exclude all related issues. Maybe part of the problem is that the insurance people don't understand individual conditions so when asked they will tell you that you can't claim. So maybe the best thing to do is to get your vet to write a letter explaining how these issues are unrelated....

One of mine had a GI problem prior to insurance, she had an exclusion for 3 months - during this time she had no further problems so te exclusion was lifted. She has subsequently had a number of GI issues all of which have been covered.

If an exclusion has been made I was told that after 3 months clear you can ask them to consider lifting it.

If you feel this issue has nothing to do with the per insurance/excluded issue I would submit all vet records and ask it to be reconsidered.

Am I right in thinking that the caecum is a seperate organ? And caecotrophs pass from here to the bowel and straight out, not through the stomach or intestines? If this is the case then how is it a gastro-intestinal problem?

According to my understanding caecum is part of the intestines. I've just been flicking through text books for clarification but I can't find any suggestion that it's a separate organ, it's just another part such as "small intestine", "large intestine" and "caecum" and bowel just being another name for intestines generally.

One of mine had a GI problem prior to insurance, she had an exclusion for 3 months - during this time she had no further problems so te exclusion was lifted. She has subsequently had a number of GI issues all of which have been covered.

If an exclusion has been made I was told that after 3 months clear you can ask them to consider lifting it.

If you feel this issue has nothing to do with the per insurance/excluded issue I would submit all vet records and ask it to be reconsidered.

Which insurer? That seems really good. I was told by Pet Plan that they would reconsider Rudy's GI disorders exclusion after 2 years but when I rang to say he'd gone two years they denied every having told me it would be taken of his exclusions :evil:

It was pet plan earlier this year - we had a stray rabbit we took on who had some old bite wounds so abscesses were excluded (although no abscesses developed in the year we had him).

If pet plan told you something over the phone it will be recorded and you can request that they check it, I have had to do this - took a while but proved I was telling the truth.

Thanks everyone for all the replies :wave: I don't think I will get out of paying this but I might talk to my vets practice and appeal it with Petplan anyway. Probably won't work but worth a try!

Back