• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should I do?

Sarah1989

Warren Veteran
Since Badger died 4 weeks ago, my three remaining boys have fallen out. Rather Blackavar has fallen out with Slipper & Blueberry. As soon as he gets anywhere near them, they have a full on fight - kicking, scrabbling, fur flying and I've had to remove him.

I don't know what to do now. They all had a room to themselves - do I try & put a barricade down the middle to create two pens and Slipper & Blueberry in one half and Blackavar in the other? Blackavar seems quite happy on his own - he's very affectionate with me, but he once had three friends to play with. Then there's the problem of acquiring a friend for him.

Some of you will possibly remember all the trouble I had with rescuing - either I was too far away, someone beat me to it, bunny got sick & died before he came to me, bunny was taken away after two weeks as it was decided she needed an outdoor home instead and many more never even got back to me. I tried to adopt 10 bunnies in total & was unsuccessful in all of them - these were all different bunnies at different times & different rescues. Given the horrendous month I've had (Badger dying, car crash, Family crisis etc), it's hindered my recovery from severe depression & the constant falling in love with a bunny to then be disappointed, also took it's toll on me before all that. So, rightly or wrongly, I'm a bit reluctant to get on that emotional roller coaster. Plus I'm not entirely sure that if I split the room in half, I'd meet the minimum housing requirements & OH will not consider anything other than the bunnies having that one room and that took a lot of persuasion anyway.

I guess I need someone to tell me what to do about all this as I'm not doing so well at the moment and I'm the one out of the whole family whose doing the best! I'm desperately trying not to fall into a hole, my OH is already in a hole & I'm trying to help him out whilst not getting dragged in, but stuff in his life is also pulling him further in whilst trying to climb out of their own hole. Plus my family all hate him more than ever since the car accident & I'm a nervous wreck behind the wheel now.

This has gone in rabbit chat as I need help with what to do with my bunnies. Sadly, no one can help me with my life ATM, it's just explanation around the bunny issue why it's not as simple as it may be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you try rebonding the three? Neutral territory, small space, constant supervision etc? Or contact a rescue to help with the bonding?

I'm sorry you're having a hard time at the moment :(. Not all bunnies 'need' company of their own kind, although most do. Blackavar may be content having the other bunnies close by with lots of interaction from you instead. Only you can determine his mental state and if you think he's content with the current situation then I'd leave it as it stands, certainly for the time being anyway. If, in time, both you and Blackavar feel it's right to reconsider then by all means, look into it. From what you've said above, the time isn't right for you and he's showing no outward signs of being lonely so I don't think he'll come to any harm being a single bunny for a while.

Could you try rebonding the three? Neutral territory, small space, constant supervision etc? Or contact a rescue to help with the bonding?

I have tried that, that's all the fights they've had :( I had to put them in the bath as that's the only place in the entire house that at least one of them haven't been in before. As soon as he sees them, and can get at them, he goes for them. At the moment, I'm having to cage one lot whilst the other lot get the room for 24 hours, then swap over. Not ideal, I know, but they are fine then - no referred aggression - and it's the best I could think of at the time. Slipper & Blackavar never really paid any attention to each other, but they both loved Badger & Blueberry who would take turns in spending time with them. Obviously now Badger's gone, it's upset them :(

I'm sorry you're having a hard time at the moment :(. Not all bunnies 'need' company of their own kind, although most do. Blackavar may be content having the other bunnies close by with lots of interaction from you instead. Only you can determine his mental state and if you think he's content with the current situation then I'd leave it as it stands, certainly for the time being anyway. If, in time, both you and Blackavar feel it's right to reconsider then by all means, look into it. From what you've said above, the time isn't right for you and he's showing no outward signs of being lonely so I don't think he'll come to any harm being a single bunny for a while.

Thank you - it's really not if I'm honest, I was just trying to think of Blackavar. He's not phased at all in the current situation, he's perfectly happy how he is. Or if he isn't, he's a fantastic actor. He does love me loads though, he loves being picked up and snuggled & will sit on my lap for hours getting fuss whilst I watch a film. I've only known Dexter be like that, & maybe that was because of his illness? Of course, it's so hard spending all your time snuggling up with your bunny isn't it :lol: I'm perfectly happy to oblige him :lol:

Thank you - it's really not if I'm honest, I was just trying to think of Blackavar. He's not phased at all in the current situation, he's perfectly happy how he is. Or if he isn't, he's a fantastic actor. He does love me loads though, he loves being picked up and snuggled & will sit on my lap for hours getting fuss whilst I watch a film. I've only known Dexter be like that, & maybe that was because of his illness? Of course, it's so hard spending all your time snuggling up with your bunny isn't it :lol: I'm perfectly happy to oblige him :lol:

Maybe you could divide the room into one third for Blackavar and the larger two thirds for the other two, just to avoid having to cage anyone for 24 hrs at a time. Ok, the permanent space they have will be smaller but it does mean that they have permanent access to that space which becomes 'theirs' rather than having to share a larger space. They may be happier that way and it's probably easier for you???

I have tried that, that's all the fights they've had :( I had to put them in the bath as that's the only place in the entire house that at least one of them haven't been in before. As soon as he sees them, and can get at them, he goes for them. At the moment, I'm having to cage one lot whilst the other lot get the room for 24 hours, then swap over. Not ideal, I know, but they are fine then - no referred aggression - and it's the best I could think of at the time. Slipper & Blackavar never really paid any attention to each other, but they both loved Badger & Blueberry who would take turns in spending time with them. Obviously now Badger's gone, it's upset them :(

poor you, sounds like a nightmare :( in that case i agree with mackers that blackavar will probably be fine as a single bun for now

Sorry that your boys have fallen out and very glad for you that Blackavar is such a little cuddler.

I would divide the room into two and let them all have permanent running space.

Sounds like you had loads of bad luck re; rescuing. I remember your lovely little Rosie x

Perhaps, in the future, Blackavar my like a friend but it sounds as if he is pretty contented atm.

Sending lots of vibes to you. Well done being a support to your oh at this difficult time x

Back