• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits got into the hamster food

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
The little :censored: !!!

It's in one of those boxes where the lid is clipped down and they escaped over night and opened it :evil:

I don't know how much they had, I doubt it was very much but now I'll be on funny tummy watch :roll:

Harvey was face down in the box, saw me coming and didn't even move, he knew if he waited until I picked him up he might get that extra mouthful! No struggling when I picked him up, he just sat on my lap contentedly finishing his mouthful! Such a cheeky rabbit!

Anything particularly dangerous for rabbits in Harry Hamster? I'm assuming peanuts are not brilliant!

I shouldn't think it will do too much harm but keep an eye on them for a day or two.

They're very proud of themselves :evil:

I've blocked off the area until I can work out where to move the food and now my feet and the cushions I've used to block it off are getting the brunt of bunny anger and determination! They have been binkying though so they must be finding it all amusing :roll:

They're so clever, I've now moved the food box and just let them free range all day, they haven't attempted attacking the sofa yet, and that's the main reason they have the pen up when I'm out! They're less interested in doing naughty things when they have access to the naughty places all the time :roll: the second I section off an area of the room it becomes fascinating!!!

They're happy with no tummy problems phew! They're sleeping under the dining table now, probably annoyed at me for moving the food!

My mams boyfriend fed mine a bowl of hamster food not long ago when I asked him to top up their hay while I was out :roll: They didn't eat much.

There's nothing that should be too dangerous but if you have a rabbit with a sensitive tum then it could upset them. Mine were totally fine. I feed less pellets the night they got in to it (I wasn't going to feed any at all but had to be out the house at 7am the next day and they wouldn't have let me sleep if I didn't give them any!) and put loads of extra hay in for them.

Last edited:
My mams boyfriend fed mine a bowl of rabbit food not long ago when I asked him to top up their hay while I was out :roll: They didn't eat much.

There's nothing that should be too dangerous but if you have a rabbit with a sensitive tum then it could upset them. Mine were totally fine. I feed less pellets the night they got in to it (I wasn't going to feed any at all but had to be out the house at 7am the next day and they wouldn't have let me sleep if I didn't give them any!) and put loads of extra hay in for them.

I think he gave them hamster food, didn't he.

My mams boyfriend fed mine a bowl of hamster food not long ago when I asked him to top up their hay while I was out :roll: They didn't eat much.

I'm assuming he gave them hamster food not rabbit food like Babsie said :p

Harvey usually has a sensitive tummy but he seems to have not reacted to the hamster food phew :D They'll be getting lots of hay, I still gave them breakfast as they'd pester me otherwise! It was small though!

Back