• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Phantom pregnancy

Willowsmum

Mama Doe
It seems one thing after another with my bunnies at the moment :oops:

As some of you know I have two female rabbits, Iris was spayed two weeks ago and Sylvie was meant to be done but they ran out of time (don't ephemeral me started :evil:)

Anyway it would seem Sylvie has been busy! She has made a wonderful nest!! (Before anyone asked there's no way she can be pregnant). She will be spayed as soon as I can get her booked in but until then I have some questions........

1) is Iris safe in there with her or will she become aggressive towards her as she believes she is pregnant :cry:

2) what do I do with the nest? Do I leave it or take it away? She has put soooo much fur in there I'm worried if I remove it she will rip out more fur to replace it :oops:

Thanks in advance :wave:

Here's some pics

There may be more likelihood of them fighting due to the increased levels of hormones going around. What is her behaviour like currently?

I would also say just leave her nest. She will desimate it when she is ready and the you can clear it away.

There may be more likelihood of them fighting due to the increased levels of hormones going around. What is her behaviour like currently?

I would also say just leave her nest. She will desimate it when she is ready and the you can clear it away.

They seem ok together at the moment but little off food :?

Try not to worry, it's just a phantom pregnancy, it will be a bit stressful for her but won't harm her and she will grow the fur back.

Keep an eye out for fighting but don't separate unless you have to. Leave the nest alone, and don't clean that area out if you can avoid it - she will destroy it when she is ready. You may also find that she doesn't like you going into that area, that is normal and nothing to worry about, just keep out of her way. She will probably appreciate being given some more hay as well.

Your vet will probably recommend waiting until she is well over the phantom pregnancy before spaying, so don't book her in too soon.

Try not to worry, it's just a phantom pregnancy, it will be a bit stressful for her but won't harm her and she will grow the fur back.

Keep an eye out for fighting but don't separate unless you have to. Leave the nest alone, and don't clean that area out if you can avoid it - she will destroy it when she is ready. You may also find that she doesn't like you going into that area, that is normal and nothing to worry about, just keep out of her way. She will probably appreciate being given some more hay as well.

Your vet will probably recommend waiting until she is well over the phantom pregnancy before spaying, so don't book her in too soon.

Thank you so much for your reply :wave:

I did wonder if I would need to wait! That's just the box she's taken over, they have a whole shed with run so there's fresh hay in the other areas :wave:

Thank you so much for your reply :wave:

I did wonder if I would need to wait! That's just the box she's taken over, they have a whole shed with run so there's fresh hay in the other areas :wave:

Ahh good. I mean hay for the nest, if it is freely available as loose hay she should be able to move it if she wants more for the nest, but if the rest of the hay is in racks etc I'd give her a bit more in the box, just so she has everything she needs (or rather thinks she needs). She will genuinely believe she is pregnant, bless her. But there will be physical changes too, which is why vets generally like to wait.

Ahh good. I mean hay for the nest, if it is freely available as loose hay she should be able to move it if she wants more for the nest, but if the rest of the hay is in racks etc I'd give her a bit more in the box, just so she has everything she needs (or rather thinks she needs). She will genuinely believe she is pregnant, bless her. But there will be physical changes too, which is why vets generally like to wait.

Yes I see what you mean :wave: yeh they have hay racks but also a pile of free hay in the corner where she has been taking it from :roll: I refilled it tonight :thumb:

How long will this last? How long until she can be spayed?

Back