• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The story so far: the Bunny House... UP DATE #18 - INSIDE!

ridley

Warren Scout
Tomakeahome_zps1280552f.jpg

pic1_zps00c32cff.jpg

pic2_zpsba8b509c.jpg

pic3_zps2b5c61d6.jpg

pic4_zps68a4a07a.jpg

insideview_zpse5e32443.jpg

perspective_zps5b207d7e.jpg

...pics of the inside to follow!...

It now measures (as i got another foot out of hubby!...) 9.8 ft by 4.7 foot!

Last edited:
That's looking fantastic! I love photo diaries, looking forward to the updates :love:

The only thing is I'd swap the chicken wire out for weld mesh since bunnies (and foxes) can easily chew through chicken wire. My pair escaped back before I knew that and had it down on the floor of my run (luckily we found them!).

You have a very handy hubby, the rabbit's area looks very nice :)

The only thing I would say though, is that it looks like there is a door at the end of the lean-to? That's really good, just wanted to let you know to keep it locked in the evening/night, as chicken wire is easily destroyed by foxes so that internal door won't be secure.

All they need now is a nice big hutch to keep them warm in winter :thumb:

Looks good in terms of space!

The only problem is that bunnies can chew through chicken wire mesh like that with one nibble, so you'll likely soon have escapes. Predators also can very easily so it's not secure unless you have another door which is more secure. It'd be best to re-mesh with something more solid - preferably 1 x 1/2 inch maximum (1/2 x 1/2 inch is better), galvanised and 19g minimum.

It doesn't have to be too expensive: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Galvanise...783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d4c719197 should fit.

You also definitely need to mesh inside the door and kickboard below the door too - a predator can rip wood off very easily, even if it's screwed/nailed very securely. It's always best to have an extra layer of protection. If you mesh on the inside where the bunnies are, predators find it harder to get in - it's easier to rip mesh off than push it in enough to break it.

Looks good in terms of space!

The only problem is that bunnies can chew through chicken wire mesh like that with one nibble, so you'll likely soon have escapes. Predators also can very easily so it's not secure unless you have another door which is more secure. It'd be best to re-mesh with something more solid - preferably 1 x 1/2 inch maximum (1/2 x 1/2 inch is better), galvanised and 19g minimum.

It doesn't have to be too expensive: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Galvanise...783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d4c719197 should fit.

You also definitely need to mesh inside the door and kickboard below the door too - a predator can rip wood off very easily, even if it's screwed/nailed very securely. It's always best to have an extra layer of protection. If you mesh on the inside where the bunnies are, predators find it harder to get in - it's easier to rip mesh off than push it in enough to break it.

Dont worry; there is another door to the lean to that locks so they will be safe from predators. we may ship lap the back where the chicken wire is or add a thicker mesh.

Thanks to all of you for your comments! X

Lovely space , lucky buns :D

Just another little thing re the chicken wire - the holes look quite big. Small paws/legs and inquisitive noses and or heads could possibly get caught in it, would definitely reinforce the lower part to avoid any nasty accidents.

Good luck with your new babies!

How 'indoors' is the area? Looking at the pictures again it looks bit like a sheltered area outside rather than an enclosed indoor area like an outhouse or a shed. I just wondered whether it may be better to consider winter adjustments now, before you get the rabbits, as English lops don't fare well in winter outdoors as their ability to thermo-regulate is thrown out because of the massive ears. They can even get frostbite on their ears because of this, I imagine due to the normal rabbit response of limiting the blood supply to the ears in the cold.

It would be best to bring them indoors completely, as they fare better as house rabbits. But if you aren't going to bring them indoors in winter, I think they'll need more insulation so the area you have is warmer and doesn't drop below 0 overnight. A heater would be good too, but you will have to be careful that it isn't too warm so there isn't a big temperature drop when they go out in their run, as big temperature changes can trigger 'snuffles' (respiratory infections).

How 'indoors' is the area? Looking at the pictures again it looks bit like a sheltered area outside rather than an enclosed indoor area like an outhouse or a shed. I just wondered whether it may be better to consider winter adjustments now, before you get the rabbits, as English lops don't fare well in winter outdoors as their ability to thermo-regulate is thrown out because of the massive ears. They can even get frostbite on their ears because of this, I imagine due to the normal rabbit response of limiting the blood supply to the ears in the cold.

It would be best to bring them indoors completely, as they fare better as house rabbits. But if you aren't going to bring them indoors in winter, I think they'll need more insulation so the area you have is warmer and doesn't drop below 0 overnight. A heater would be good too, but you will have to be careful that it isn't too warm so there isn't a big temperature drop when they go out in their run, as big temperature changes can trigger 'snuffles' (respiratory infections).

Thank you for your comments! Yes the roof is going to be re-sealed before the bunnies go in there just to doubly made sure the rain/cold cant get in. It is nice and warm out there but if it does get too cold they will be bought indoors. Or the roof will be sorted. I have researched about the english lops not doing well with the cold and know that I will have to take extra precautions X

So amazing!! You are lucky to be so handy!

I second using welded mesh too. My aviary is made with welded mesh ^_^

That's lovely!

Are they going to have permanent access to a run? if so, you could run a runaround pipe through the rest of the lean to to the outside run!

That's lovely!

Are they going to have permanent access to a run? if so, you could run a runaround pipe through the rest of the lean to to the outside run!

It will be a permanently open run for them. The only other run they will have is in the garden on the grass x

So amazing!! You are lucky to be so handy!

I second using welded mesh too. My aviary is made with welded mesh ^_^

Brilliant bunny home :thumb:

I have a large shed,half of which is bunny housing, as the shed door was always locked I used chicken wire for the partition. Even though the buns had access to a run via a cat flap 24/7 they still decided it would be a good idea to chew through the chicken wire into the other part of the shed where they chewed their way into a sack of hay spreading it everywhere! Be warned :lol:

The inside is nearly complete now...

we need to put some boards all around the edges so no "borrowing" can be done, and we still need to cover up the front pannel with the chicken wire - but at the moment its where the water bottles are hanging.

I got my delivery today of all their bits and bobs! Just need to get some wood litter pellets (my sister uses them for her bunnies and they are great!) and some fleece or cheep towels to out in the hutch!

Ive hung the hay racks above the litter tray so they can eat and poop at the same time! - there will be more hay in the hutch and in toilet tubes around the space!

20140528_200519_zps9edcda65.jpg

20140528_200500_zpsdc1db722.jpg

20140528_200507_zpsb38c5d94.jpg

...please excuse the muddy carpet! I walked in there with dirty shoes! D'oh!

Anything else???!

ETA: I know most of the things here will only last them whilst they are young/small, but that them gives me a change to get them new things when they get a bit bigger!!!

Last edited:
It looks great :thumb:

The only thing I would say is that my rabbits would be on top of that hutch in a flash :lol: I'm not sure if English lops would, as I know their ears hinder their movements, but just be aware and don't keep anything up there that you don't mind them destroying/eating. I would also either take the hutch door off or tie it to the wall, as I used to have my hutch open like that and the rabbits would shut themselves/each other in or out of the hutch and then not be able to open it again :roll: they are right numpties. I have a runaround tube now instead, so I second *lily*'s recommendation for using one to attach their pen to their outside run, the bunnies love being able to come and go to their run whenever they like.

I'm glad you can bring them inside if need be, hopefully we'll have another mild winter, but if not it's good to have the back-up plan of bringing them for a few months.

Back