• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

DIY litter tray ideas please! Up date with pic!

ridley

Warren Scout
Hey all, I have 10 days until the girls come home and the only thing I'm missing at the moment is a litter tray. Have any of you got cheep/alternate ideas for a litter tray? And what you put in it??Thanks! X

Last edited:
When I've been travelling with the buns I have often used a cardboard 'fruit' box (from Sainsbury's and other supermarkets) and lined with newspaper and put hay on top. Makes a good temporary/ makeshift litter tray :)

A lot of people use storage boxes as litter trays. You can get big ones for less than a fiver at places like Home Bargains.

I just use a newspaper base with lots of hay on top. Works well enough for me. I top them up every day and empty every other day, although I'll be doing it every day when it's hot.

I've gotten An indoor rabbit cage off someone on freecycle and just use the plastic base as trays for my guys! Underbed storage boxes are great too

You can also use plastic dog baskets :thumb:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ETA I use a medium sized one of these for Marble (my English lop)

Last edited:
You're getting giant bunnies so a normal litter tray won't do. I'd get a storage box.

I have the 32 litre underbed storage boxes that are about 55cm long and 35-40cm wide and my bunnies (3.6kg and 2.1kg) fit in nicely, so I think you are going to have to go bigger than that, as rabbits like to eat hay in their litter tray together. Just one of your rabbits will be the same weight as both of mine put together, and one of mine is a big rabbit. You'll find that with most of the things you buy, you'll have to adapt things or buy things not made for rabbits or get custom-made products specially for giant bunnies.

eta - For filling it, I use either just newspaper and hay, or megazorb and hay. You could also use a paper or wood based pellet litter, as long as you use one that is rabbit-safe i.e. non-clumping and nothing added.

Last edited:
storage tray as many have said. i normally use wood shavings with lots of hay on top. but in the summer i use newspaper and hay as i change it every day :thumb:

Underbed storage boxes, lined with newspaper and topped with hay. Also used the base for an indoor cage as a litter tray before too.

So i found an old and large under bed storage box, cut a "u-shape" out the side and lined with with (animal safe) glue and then put a rubber wire cover over the top to make it smooth...do you think this will work??

20140526_1445500_zps525eb767.jpg

20140526_144622_zps5a7f38a7.jpg

Yes it looks great :) awesome DIY skills there !it will fit both of them in for now, but you'll probably need a bigger one when they are adult, so they can eat at the same time. Giant bunnies get so big!

Back