• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to give medication to big or awkward rabbits

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I've made this video in the hopes that it helps someone. This is how I give Grimlock his medication.

I edited out the bit about me cleaning his nose as it involved lots of snot. :mrgreen:

Thanks for that :thumb: but seriously, that is one chilled out bunny you've got there! :lol: i bet you couldn't come here and do that to Daisy :lol: she'd be off before you even got her in position! :shock: x

Thanks for that :thumb: but seriously, that is one chilled out bunny you've got there! :lol: i bet you couldn't come here and do that to Daisy :lol: she'd be off before you even got her in position! :shock: x

I bet you I could. ;)

You should have seen the other things we tried. The bunny burrito turned him into a raging demon. He would kick and bite and squirm and somehow turn in his own skin. I would make a video to prove it, but obviously I wouldn't want to stress him out.

Grim's a bit used to this now after so long. But if I get lazy and just tried to give him his medication another way he stresses out.

It just takes practice and probably more importantly, patience. I used to get really stressed out and that would pass on to Grim.

I've been doing this for years, so what you see is a LOT of practice. And Grim is an old man now, so he's not quite as bothered and very used to it. Keep calm and keep trying. Be firm and talk to her all the time. Tell her not to be silly, that it doesn't hurt etc. This is more to get you into the frame of mind.

It's a horrible situation to be in but you can do it. :wave:

Last edited:
:thumb: That's great, Jenova!

I do something very similar with Barney, although he's not quite so complicit with it!

It works very well because they can't go backwards, forwards is the medication, and if you keep both arms blocking the sides they can't escape sideways either.

This is pretty much how we used to give meds to Nettle, who is obviously a big Conti. She needed stuff 3 times a day at one point. It did involve a certain amount of chasing around until she kind of gave in though.

I'm so pleased I've seen this - I've been having the devil of the time getting Lady Katherine to take her meds & holding her or wrapping in a towel doesn't work & when I'm on my own, I've had to use this method too. I thought I was being really cruel having to sit on her like that :oops:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabulous video...thank you for showing this. :thumb:

Even though George is only a Dwarf lop, I had to straddle him to give him his recovery food and medication when he had stasis in December last year.
He turned into a raging maniac and got so stressed out.

Excellent video. :thumb: I will certainly use this technique if ever I need to medicate my buns for something!

Grimlock is so cute. :love:

Thank you. :)

I had years of stress trying to give him medication so if this helps someone avoid that it'll be great.

A very good and very clear video.

I've never had any problems in medicating my lot who will happily suck from a syringe without me even having to depress the plunger but for less co-operative rabbits, I think this will be a very useful video of how to calmly administer meds.

Aww, bless him!

My Frenchie was compliant like that having given into it all eventually!

Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back