• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Encouraging a Rabbit recovering from GI stasis to eat hay?

Hi my rabbit bramble recently suffered from gi stasis and he is finally (touch wood) acting like his normal cheeky self and he is eating and pooping just about normally the only problem is that he still sometimes refuses to eat foods which are not dandelion or broccoli but I'm conflicted as I am scared incase he stops eating and the gi stasis comes back but I have heard that dandelion is a diuretic so I dont want him eating too much of that either. He does nibble at the hay and he eats lots of pellets which is another thing that I need to cut down on when I know he is 100% I have tried him with loads of different hays and the only one he will slightly nibble at is oxbow Timothy hay. I have been giving him fresh grass which he eats quite a bit at and I am quick to replace it so it doesn't ferment. He is also an extremely fussy eater and will turn his nose up at most vegetables apart from broccoli, sprouts and cabbage the latter two I am not feeding at the minute as I am afraid that they will make him gassy. I am thinking of getting a sample of hay from hay for pets because I have read good things about them and I was wondering if the hay is fresh and if bramble who has no front teeth will be able to eat it?

my poor baby is only a year old in two weeks and the poor thing has a botched neutering where he had to be restitched up his front teeth removed one grew back so we decided to get it removed again where the operation caused the gi stasis it just seems that I am doing all these things to try and help him but it goes wrong every time :cry: I just want him to be happy and healthy and I want to do everything possible to make that happen.
rtinhyVxsnjTme5Q5PD0PPSEmVfAgvvIYm4xLluleBVRzeFfpYBjOGa3QgKLgN3RqanxljM=s85

Heres a picture of my little cutie

Sorry to hear he's been ill. You could try readi grass. Mine go crazy for it, I mix it in with their hay to encourage them to eat more hay, although they are generally good hay eaters anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

readigrass looks really promising I'll have to buy some to try it with him :) thank you

It's very fragrant and I knew straight away that my buns would love it. The little ones regularly try to climb into the bad when it's out :roll:
If he likes it, mix it in with his normal hay so he will hopefully eat more or that too :)

Bramble is so finicky! apparently his mam is a fussy eater as well I'm having to be creative to get him to eat different things. Thanks for your help its really appreciated!

Bramble is so finicky! apparently his mam is a fussy eater as well I'm having to be creative to get him to eat different things. Thanks for your help its really appreciated!

I'm glad mine aren't! They'll eat almost anything that is put in front of them :lol:
No worries, hope he starts eating properly soon :)

Back