• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why has my vet just told me I can't take my other rabbit with the poorly rabbit??

Gemboj

Young Bun
As I understand it you should never part a bonded pair?? Am I right?
So why is my local vets saying they can only see the poorly one and the healthy one cannot come along?!

You're absolutely right. Find another vet they're obviously not quite rabbit savvy enough

You're absolutely right. Find another vet they're obviously not quite rabbit savvy enough

This :thumb: I took all 4 of my quad along when only 2 needed their injections, the vet didn't bat an eyelid :thumb:

I am really cross you know!!! It isn't far from when I live so I may take him on his own on principle and give them what for when I am there?! They said only the poorly one may go as it's an emergency appointment

I think it depends what the circumstances are. For example, if one is admitted with stasis and the vets needs to monitor output, then rabbits may not be able to stay together and if there is not space for the other bunny, then they may have to be separated.

So I don't think it's cut and dried, but it is worth a conversation with the vet about why.

Equally, 95% of the time, it's appropriate for the bunnies to stay together.

My vet is extremely rabbit savvy and they don't routinely admit the companion when the poorly rabbit is in stasis.

I took 2 bunnies there last night and they admitted both but kept them separate overnight to monitor Eloise's input and output. It's not automatically the case that they are not rabbit savvy, as Sky-O says, it's down to circumstances.

I think it depends what the circumstances are. For example, if one is admitted with stasis and the vets needs to monitor output, then rabbits may not be able to stay together and if there is not space for the other bunny, then they may have to be separated.

So I don't think it's cut and dried, but it is worth a conversation with the vet about why.

Ok I won't take them both and just ask why they have said I can't take him! I hope they don't fret too much :(

I was only a aloud to take my female to te vets when she went for pre op health check test day so my male was on his own for a bout 20 mins

He isn't eating or doing much at all so I wanted him seeing today

Ah ok.

My advice would be to take them both, in the same carrier, but, when you get there, put the other one in a separate carrier. That way you cover all options and also, you can hopefully travel them back in the same carrier together. That's all hoping you have two carriers.

If they're not admitting him (or might not) if definitely take both along and use an extra carrier if you have to as sky-o suggested. Going to the vets is stressful and they'll likely cope better with each other. There's also a chance they may fall out when one comes home smelling of the vet

This :thumb: I took all 4 of my quad along when only 2 needed their injections, the vet didn't bat an eyelid :thumb:

I took my trio when one needed an operation :thumb:. They definitely should stay together.

ETA - just realised it's for possible stasis. In that case, others are right and they will need to separate temporarily to monitor input and output.

Last edited:
I took my trio when one needed an operation :thumb:. They definitely should stay together.

ETA - just realised it's for possible stasis. In that case, others are right and they will need to separate temporarily to monitor input and output.

Hi I didn't have time to read your replies before I had to leave. I took him on his own, he was fine whilst there actually said he was the most well behaved rabbit she had ever seen!
I told her I was disappointed about not being allowed to bring the other but she didn't really say much!
He is on pain killers and I've got to take him back tues to see if is has eaten! How on earth do I tell if he has eaten when the other one scoffs?!
Said something about his right tooth?! Didn't really understand at all tbh and I had children with me :( said his tummy was full! 195kg and seemed healthy!
She will make a discussion tues if to use anesthetic? But they don't like to as rabbits don't cope well with it!
He is back with his partner in crime now and all seems fine

Hi I didn't have time to read your replies before I had to leave. I took him on his own, he was fine whilst there actually said he was the most well behaved rabbit she had ever seen!
I told her I was disappointed about not being allowed to bring the other but she didn't really say much!
He is on pain killers and I've got to take him back tues to see if is has eaten! How on earth do I tell if he has eaten when the other one scoffs?!
Said something about his right tooth?! Didn't really understand at all tbh and I had children with me :( said his tummy was full! 195kg and seemed healthy!
She will make a discussion tues if to use anesthetic? But they don't like to as rabbits don't cope well with it!He is back with his partner in crime now and all seems fine

Now the first bit you asked about a rabbit being separated could be explained - the bit above bolded rings major alarm bells for me - if a vet doesn't like to use anaesthetic with rabbits because they don't cope well??? Whoa, this vet isn't confident with rabbits... which also suggests they aren't very experienced with rabbits.

Now the first bit you asked about a rabbit being separated could be explained - the bit above bolded rings major alarm bells for me - if a vet doesn't like to use anaesthetic with rabbits because they don't cope well??? Whoa, this vet isn't confident with rabbits... which also suggests they aren't very experienced with rabbits.

Completely, completely agree.

this :wave:

Absolutely.

We could help suggest a rabbit savvy vet if you post a new thread asking for ' rabbit savvy vet in whatever town' :thumb: someone may be local who can suggest one for you.

Back