• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why won't she listen to my advice?!

aaammmyyy

Mama Doe
Basically this girl must be about 10 or 11 she recently got two rabbits and she said they're 4 weeks old...isn't something wrong with that in itself right there!?

For breakfast they get practically half a cabbage each and a whole carrot and the same for dinner aswell as a whole bowl of tesco value rabbit muesli

then she carrys on to feed the rotastack honey bars or the carrot ones which are just seeds stuck together with carrots and such and rabbits cant have seeds, and worst if all yoghurt drops aghhh

Ive explained about muesli and said their food should be atleast 19% fibre and you won't get that from muesli, I then suggested SS pellets as they're 25% fibre and they're not that expensive either.

Ive not even attempted to tell her about the carrot yet because I told her SO politely about the rest and she basically said thanks but no thanks

Ive owned rabbits longer than shes been alive and done two courses on animal care and passed them to a high standard..yet she still thinks I dont know what im talking about?

All ive tried to do is advise her whats healthier for her rabbits as shes clearly bought without even reasearching! This is kind of a bit of a rant, but still...does anyone know how I can get her to listen to me?

Oh...and her friends (who have all also just bought rabbits, coincidence they're the new trend in school!) Have told her that its all fine and I also dont know what im talking about

Why does perfectly polite advice about whats best for their rabbits fall on deaf ears!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

~please no one take this thread offensively, I just want whats best for these animals and it stresses me out for the sake of the rabbits! Its a bit of a rant-y post but had to get it out and any advise to get listend to will help~

Sometimes people respond better to drip-feeding them the information and making hints, especially if they believe they are right. I.e. instead of 'You're not feeding them the right food, you need to feed them hay' you may find that 'what hay do your rabbits like? I'm trying to find one that my rabbit likes, the vet says he will get dental problems if he doesn't eat lots of hay' goes down better.

You are right, they are way too young to be away from mum, and they are also very susceptible to gut problems at that age. I wonder if pointing out that they are very young and suggesting a visit to the vet might go down okay? You could then mention to ask the vet about what diet they should have at that age. You should always take new animals to the vet anyway, so they may do it, although some people don't like taking rabbits to the vet as they feels they aren't worth the cost.

~please no one take this thread offensively, I just want whats best for these animals and it stresses me out for the sake of the rabbits! Its a bit of a rant-y post but had to get it out and any advise to get listend to will help~

Can you talk with her Mum or Dad?

Sometimes people respond better to drip-feeding them the information and making hints, especially if they believe they are right. I.e. instead of 'You're not feeding them the right food, you need to feed them hay' you may find that 'what hay do your rabbits like? I'm trying to find one that my rabbit likes, the vet says he will get dental problems if he doesn't eat lots of hay' goes down better.

You are right, they are way too young to be away from mum, and they are also very susceptible to gut problems at that age. I wonder if pointing out that they are very young and suggesting a visit to the vet might go down okay? You could then mention to ask the vet about what diet they should have at that age. You should always take new animals to the vet anyway, so they may do it, although some people don't like taking rabbits to the vet as they feels they aren't worth the cost.

Ive been trying to subtly hint things to her like this! They get fresh hay and water every day so I suppose thats a step in the right direction!

I really wish people would research before they buy pets!

I will try and hint her to take new pets to the vets, but the two bunnies she bought have already fought and been split up, and personally id take them to the vets after a fight to check they were okay?!

Can you talk with her Mum or Dad?

I don't know her parent's - shes one of my younger brothers friends, but im guessing they've already turned a blind eye by letting her get two rabbits without even reasearching!

Ive been trying to subtly hint things to her like this! They get fresh hay and water every day so I suppose thats a step in the right direction!

I really wish people would research before they buy pets!

I will try and hint her to take new pets to the vets, but the two bunnies she bought have already fought and been split up, and personally id take them to the vets after a fight to check they were okay?!

They shouldn't be fighting at 4 weeks old... maybe they are actually older?

Maybe you could show her one of the RWAF leaflets on diet? I would focus on one issue at a time, as she may respond better.

They shouldn't be fighting at 4 weeks old... maybe they are actually older?

Maybe you could show her one of the RWAF leaflets on diet? I would focus on one issue at a time, as she may respond better.

Im hoping she may of ment 4 months old?

I will deffinetley get some RWAF leaflets printed off, hopefully thats the way forwards and she will have to accept she doesnt know better than the RWAF!
Well at least im hoping :lol:

Ive been told by someone I know that works at p@h

"Muesli is better than no food for them, it never harmed any of my rabbits growing up, nuggets are just everything in one and the rabbits get that anyway if they dont selectively feed"

Shes talking about the p@h nuggets and I'm talking about SS which is a completely different composure than muesli

She then went on to say
"Guinea pigs still eat muesli because they're clever enough to not pick the good bits out, not every pet shop has stopped selling it, it was a company decision to fase it out and other places still sell it so its not that bad"

Shes told me to leave the rabbits alone because they are getting the right care :censored:

I can understand your frustration, but she is only 10 or 11 and it probably isn't up to her. I think maybe you could talk to her parents and say she's been chatting about the bunnies and you've brought some leaflets round for them as she's so keen etc.

I can understand your frustration, but she is only 10 or 11 and it probably isn't up to her. I think maybe you could talk to her parents and say she's been chatting about the bunnies and you've brought some leaflets round for them as she's so keen etc.

I know that she saved up for her rabbits herself and bought the cage and rabbits, and good on her for doing that!
Ill pass her on some leaflets and tell her to show her parents them also!:)

I know that she saved up for her rabbits herself and bought the cage and rabbits, and good on her for doing that!
Ill pass her on some leaflets and tell her to show her parents them also!:)

Yeah I think going along a supportive friendly route and being positive would help. Encourage her to make good choices rather than telling her not to make the bad ones (within reason).

Everyone starts off somewhere, and as you showed by your friend who works in P@H, sometimes people aren't given the best advice when they buy the rabbits.

Just give her one or two leaflets at first, as if you give her a few she may not read them. Do you get any rabbit magazines like Rabbiting On? If so, you could always lend them to her when you have read them.

just out of curiousity how do you know this girl? my heart sunk when i read it the knew trend in school :shock: and i agree with midori you should talk to her parents, maybe you could do like a little day course with her at your house and show her how you look after yours

Yeah I think going along a supportive friendly route and being positive would help. Encourage her to make good choices rather than telling her not to make the bad ones (within reason).

Everyone starts off somewhere, and as you showed by your friend who works in P@H, sometimes people aren't given the best advice when they buy the rabbits.

Just give her one or two leaflets at first, as if you give her a few she may not read them. Do you get any rabbit magazines like Rabbiting On? If so, you could always lend them to her when you have read them.

Had a break through! Her friend has talked to her and has talked some sense into her that im right about it etc and she isnt going to feed the treats anymore which is a start!

just out of curiousity how do you know this girl? my heart sunk when i read it the knew trend in school :shock: and i agree with midori you should talk to her parents, maybe you could do like a little day course with her at your house and show her how you look after yours

She goes to my brother's school, I picked him up and we were walking home and she was talking about her new rabbits etc and my brother mentioned b&b and she started talking to me!
Yeah unfortunately they are a 'trend' amongst certain 'friendship groups' if one girl gets a rabbit, the others fall in love and they buy too, how great (!)

Back