• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking about getting a giant rabbit - advice?

ferretfreak4

Warren Scout
I've always wanted to have a giant rabbit but know nothing about them!

Sadly recently 2 of my buns died unexpectedly, now that I'm sure there is nothing contagious and the remaining two are fine I'm thinking of maybe getting a giant bun or two hopefully to bond with my current two

I've just got a couple questions for people who know the giant breeds:
What giant breeds are there?
What are the differences between the breeds?
What's the lifespan like?
How much space do they need to live in?
How much food do they need?

I've just moved my 2 into a 6x2x2 hutch and I've got probably around an 8x4 paved area I will be fencing in so they can have permanent access to it with a further 12x10 grass when I've got rid of the sheds and fox proofed it which they will have access to during the day. Obviously I'd need a bigger hutch if I was able to bond a giant with them but would the run sizes be ok?

DSCN2721_zps3516d85d.jpg

DSCN2725_zps4139a360.jpg

I know nothing about giants, apart from the fact that they need loads of space. I'm afraid I don't think the 8ftx4ft permanent run size would be large enough, could you extend that at all? Also could you use one of the sheds you mentioned for your rabbits, that would be bigger and better than a hutch, you can put levels in, and also you can sit in there with them.

Although I bonded my 2 pairs into a quad, you need to be aware you might end up with some fall outs and worse case scenario you could end up with 4 singles. You might find this sticky useful to read http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?317003-Do-you-want-to-bond-a-trio-Read-this-first

:wave:

I have a British Giant and a Continental Giant. Both lovely rabbits although Chloe (British) used to be extremely territorial and aggressive but she's calmed down big time. Probably nothing to do with the breed but the fact she's a girl :p:thumb:

They live in a 12 x 4 kennel. Perfect for 2 giants. This is the one I have : http://www.jacksonsgardensupplies.co.uk/products/kennels-aviary-and-hen-house/pent-kennel-and-run/
They also get access to an outdoor run.

You can work out how much they need to eat by weighing them. Mine have selective science pellets. They also have plenty of green veg and hay daily.

Also could you use one of the sheds you mentioned for your rabbits, that would be bigger and better than a hutch, you can put levels in, and also you can sit in there with them.

Although I bonded my 2 pairs into a quad, you need to be aware you might end up with some fall outs and worse case scenario you could end up with 4 singles. You might find this sticky useful to read http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?317003-Do-you-want-to-bond-a-trio-Read-this-first

The sheds were actually for the rabbits and guinea pigs but I've had something that killed off 4 guinea pigs and 2 of my buns over the space of around 4 months. Neither the vet or I have any idea what it was, I've had all sorts of health checks and tests done and still can't find anything. After the 2nd rabbit died I brought them all inside in old spare hospital hutches which were too small for them but had to be done. They stopped dying after that so all the vet and I can think is that there is something in the sheds. So new hutches have been bought and the sheds are coming down and being burnt or something.

Thanks for the info on bonding, I've been bonding bunnies for years, my current 2 were from 2 separate pairs that I managed to bond in around a week or 2 and these 2 are now inseparable :) If all goes pair shaped the giant would become a house bun :)

I have a french lop, storm. He is one of the smaller giant breeds. He is a lazy laid back lovely bun. He follows me around like a dog. He lives in the spare room but also has a run in the garden on nice days.

Most giants have a shorter life span than smaller buns :cry: this is due to pressure on their heart as they were never meant to be so big. Some big buns are also prone to joint problems, especially as they get older. The larger buns life expectancy could be as little as 5 years, although just like people, they are all individual and of course it will vary.

My storm is nearly 9

I love french lops. Even though they are all individual, I find them to be such character s:love:

Back