• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeders around Liverpool/Manchester?

runhardlivelong

Warren Scout
I'm contemplating a search for a baby rabbit for Lola (post neuter etc).

I've had two rescues who have both died for reasons likely relating to them being rescues. So I'm very put off sadly.

I would not know how to or where to find a breeder for a bunny. I want it to be a good breeder really. Lola is a mini lop, so as along as its not huge I'm not fussy!

Any advice or recommendations please?!

Remember that rescue bunnies started out as breeder or pet shop bunnies and that is likely to be where the health problems came from.

If you are determined to go to a breeder the only way you can be sure of their standards of welfare is to go and see for yourself how the rabbits are kept and ask lots of questions, about genetics in particular

Why not look for a baby in a rescue in that case?

I think because the OP has had two rescue rabbits die...

To the OP, baby rabbits from breeders are just as likely to die as rescue rabbits. The fact that they were rescues was not the reason they died, they were obviously just ill and you were very unlucky.

I think because the OP has had two rescue rabbits die...

To the OP, baby rabbits from breeders are just as likely to die as rescue rabbits. The fact that they were rescues was not the reason they died, they were obviously just ill and you were very unlucky.
I assumed they were older buns and she meant it was their history that was a factor. That said 4 of my buns are rescues and the only one that has any health problems is the one I've had from a baby

Remember that rescue bunnies started out as breeder or pet shop bunnies and that is likely to be where the health problems came from.

If you are determined to go to a breeder the only way you can be sure of their standards of welfare is to go and see for yourself how the rabbits are kept and ask lots of questions, about genetics in particular

You are all very right I'm sure. No idea of the ages of Walter or Ralph. It just seems too much that both of them were rescues and died, and Lola who is a rabbit from a breeder has zero problems and has never given me a days trouble in my life. On the other hand Ralph refused to be litter trained….

You have given me some things to consider. I would probably accept a baby from a rescue.

Surely when getting a bunny from a breeder you know the rabbits history more?

I assumed they were older buns and she meant it was their history that was a factor. That said 4 of my buns are rescues and the only one that has any health problems is the one I've had from a baby
]]

You make me really sad :-( do you think I have been very unlucky?

I have Rabbits from Rescues, Rabbits from Breeders and Rabbits from Pet Shops. Some Rescue Rabbits have been healthy, some have not. Exactly the same with those from Breeders/Pet Shops. Whilst background obviously plays a part in the longterm health of a Rabbit no one source is going to guarantee that the Rabbit you adopt/buy will be healthy. Any Rabbit can become ill at any time, just like every living being on earth.

I am very sorry for your recent losses :cry:

I'm very anxious about getting another tbh, the heartache has been horrible. But Lola is lost on her own.

I don't know how to know if a rescue is healthy or not?!

I'm contemplating a search for a baby rabbit for Lola (post neuter etc).

I've had two rescues who have both died for reasons likely relating to them being rescues. So I'm very put off sadly.

I would not know how to or where to find a breeder for a bunny. I want it to be a good breeder really. Lola is a mini lop, so as along as its not huge I'm not fussy!

Any advice or recommendations please?!

What did they die of that is attributed to them being rescue rabbits rather than from a breeder ..?

I would say yes you have been unlucky as a rule of thumb rabbits most resembling wildies in terms of conformation are the healthiest a dutch or dutch cross would be a good choice

What did they die of that is attributed to them being rescue rabbits rather than from a breeder ..?

I don't know I don't really understand it tbh.

Walter I think is more likely, the vet thought that a poor diet as a rescue is likely to have caused his gut problems causing recurrent bouts of semi stasis and the obstruction, and she thought he had a malabsorption problem of some sort.

I think I just feel like I have had my fingers burnt a bit.

I got Olly from a breeder along with his sister Honey. I live in Lancs. But i got them before discovering there were so many bunnies in rescue centres :( incidentally, Honey died last year aged only 2 :cry: and Olly is almost 4 now, but has had many health problems including recurrent ear and bladder infections. I also now have 4 rescue bunnies, all have problems from time to time. It really doesn't matter where you get your bun, you have no way of knowing what the future will bring. But if you rescue, you'll be giving a sad lonely bunny a lovely new life :love:

You are all very right I'm sure. No idea of the ages of Walter or Ralph. It just seems too much that both of them were rescues and died, and Lola who is a rabbit from a breeder has zero problems and has never given me a days trouble in my life. On the other hand Ralph refused to be litter trained….

You have given me some things to consider. I would probably accept a baby from a rescue.

Surely when getting a bunny from a breeder you know the rabbits history more?

not at all, because at such a young age there are all kinds of genetic health issues that can appear later in life. as others have said, it is unfortunately just as likely to happen to any rabbit. adopting from a home where you know it was given proper diet etc. may help reduce the chances of common problems like dental things though (although some dental issues are genetic anyway!)

Have you spoken to freshfields rescue, or rescue me (a foster based rescue) on facebook, they have a couple of young buns needing a home?
I got my 2 from a breeder, it was 2 weeks after I lost Joey and I had asked a couple of the nearest R.S.P.C.A's but the nearest one that "specializes" in bunnies is Macclesfield and they didn't have any suitable for me at that time. I didn't intend on getting any animals from a breeder but I ended up on preloved, saw the advert for charlie and lola and I fell in love.
I know I should have waited and rehomed a bunny in need, but I keep telling myself that these 2 were in need. They were 16 week old French lop crosses so not your tiny babies that everybody wants, and where being sold for £30 the pair, I felt that they could end up in the wrong hands.... that's my argument anyway, and I'm sticking to it :lol:

Would you consider another rescue if we could find you a young, super healthy little man? Obviously I can't guarantee that he'll never be poorly of course, but neither can a breeder :wave:

Just a thought - what if you get a bun from a breeder, neuter and try to bond and they just don't like eachother? Would you have space/money/time etc for two pairs?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Would you consider another rescue if we could find you a young, super healthy little man? Obviously I can't guarantee that he'll never be poorly of course, but neither can a breeder :wave:
I can recommend RSPCA. I recently got one from Macclesfield and they have a few lovely buns that need homes. They will discuss your needs and try to match you and your bun to a suitable one.

I have also previously had a bunny from RSPCA in Wallasey (we lost her last year, aged about 8).

I think as others say, things can happen regardless of whether they are from a shop or a rescue. All you can do is your best for them.

Back