• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you do with rabbit waste?

littlebeeme

Young Bun
A bit of a random one really, but what do you do with your litter tray/hutch/cage waste?

I use a layer of fitch to line the litter tray and also a shallow layer in the bottom of their cage (not much at all). I empty the litter tray twice daily and spot clean the cage daily and change twice weekly. I have 2 buns, so the amount of poo is crazy!

At the momentmI'm emptying it straight into the rubbish wheelie bin. This gets collected every other week, but is full within 7 days! I cant keep making tip runs, so wonder if anyone has any canny ideas? Eventually we will have a compost bin, but what to do in the meantime?

A bit of a random one really, but what do you do with your litter tray/hutch/cage waste?

I use a layer of fitch to line the litter tray and also a shallow layer in the bottom of their cage (not much at all). I empty the litter tray twice daily and spot clean the cage daily and change twice weekly. I have 2 buns, so the amount of poo is crazy!

At the momentmI'm emptying it straight into the rubbish wheelie bin. This gets collected every other week, but is full within 7 days! I cant keep making tip runs, so wonder if anyone has any canny ideas? Eventually we will have a compost bin, but what to do in the meantime?

I have this exact same issue, I clean Milo and Finn out regular, a full clean twice weekly and a spot/litter tray clean twice a day generally. My dad suggested I should put all the waste in the garden bin (brown) but i'm pretty sure you cant do that. Plus its not just megazorb and hay that goes in there its also kitchen roll where I've been cleaning with disinfectant that other things too like old toys and leftovers. No chance of getting another bin as there's only two of us and the criteria for that is 6 in the household!

Any advice anyone? :D

Hay and poos goes to man on freecycle for his allotment. He brings me homemade Organic wine in return

Rest goes in black bin, or to tip

Hay and poos goes to man on freecycle for his allotment. He brings me homemade Organic wine in return

Do you just have hay in the litter trays? I cant imagine sifting the poo from the fitch :shock:
I Do love the deal you have going on though!!

Mine goes in the green garden waste bin which is collected weekly. It was free at a previous council but since we moved I have to pay for it but the £28 a year is totally worth it.

Mine goes in the green garden waste bin which is collected weekly. It was free at a previous council but since we moved I have to pay for it but the £28 a year is totally worth it.

We have a garden waste bin, but they wont accept this as it is classed as animal waste. Such a shame as it would make great compost!

Do you just have hay in the litter trays? I cant imagine sifting the poo from the fitch :shock:
I Do love the deal you have going on though!!

What is fitch?

I put hay and poos into my compost bin, and throw the newspaper away. Sometimes I tear the paper up and put that into the compost too.

We have a garden waste bin, but they wont accept this as it is classed as animal waste. Such a shame as it would make great compost!

I'm lucky, All 3 councils in my area accept it as they all take vegetarian animal waste, just not waste from animals who eat meat as it needs to be dispossed of properly.

fitch and hay in the brown bins (we have three and next door lets us use his!), newspaper in the blue bin. that is usually enough (collected every two weeks) but if not, we have a little room usually in our main green bin which we use aswell. we do loads of recycling so our main bin has quite a bit of room and next door uses our main bin aswell.

every so often my mum and dad take a load to the tip for us aswell. :wave:

one time over xmas and new year, the bins didn't get collected for a month and someone on gumtree came and took all the waste for their allotment. they were well chuffed with all the poops! :oops::lol:

I have to go to the tip at least once a week with my bunny waste. It's fine now with summer opening but in the winter it's a nightmare because of my shifts. I struggle to get there and the waste builds up. I do have allotments behind me and wonder about asking there if anyone would like to come and collect it for their compost.

Do he use it as manure or for compost? There's an allotment near my house, I wonder if anyone there would want my rabbit poo!

Do he use it as manure or for compost? There's an allotment near my house, I wonder if anyone there would want my rabbit poo!

I've never asked. I think as manure though as it sounds like he just takes it and digs it in straight away. He's been collecting it about 4months so seems happy with the arrangement

I've never asked. I think as manure though as it sounds like he just takes it and digs it in straight away. He's been collecting it about 4months so seems happy with the arrangement

I've just posted on my town's freebie Facebook page asking if anyone wants my rabbit poo! I feel like a bit of a nutter :lol:

I had an arrangement whereby someone would collect my waste, but he was unreliable so I axed him and got a garden waste bin and another black one instead. Costs £30 per year for the garden waste and £16 per month for the black but it's worth it to not have a backlog of horrible smelly bin bags!

Ours goes to a local smallholder or allotment-holder for use as organic compost. It has to be fairly concentrated poop free of pellets which might attract vermin. It's dug in within a few days and produces prize-winning veg!

I put my waste out once a week for two local veg growers to collect. They love it. Newspaper, hay and all. So glad as I dont drive and the eight rabbits and two guinea pigs make around six bin liner fulls every week.

Back