• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training question.

moorevfr

Young Bun
Hi Guys,

I am slowly potty training my two buns and not going to bad since they are not fixed yet (booked for Tuesday coming)
but in their cage they are peeing in the litter tray and also on the floor but I use puppy pads in the cage instead of newspaper to keep it clean but puppy pads have a scent that attracts puppies to pee on do you think this is also the case for the buns, am I being counterproductive by using them and should just use newspaper?
They don't pee too much out of their cage in their room/run area just a every other day maybe little pool.

Looking forward to your thoughts and suggestions.

Rich

Hi :wave:
Are the puddles of wee next to the litter tray? If so, it could be that they are sitting on the edge of the tray and the wee is going over?

What about trying vetbed. When Doughnut was ill and was wet I put that in her hutch. It's like fleece, doesn't smell and it takes the wee away from the surface so they don't sit in it. It's great as cheap, you buy it off the roll and can keep washing it.

Rabbits like to wee on soft things so yes use newspaper instead. It might help also to put hay on top of the paper as bunnies like to chew hay at the same time as spending a penny.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I will do a test the weekend and just put some news paper down and see if they go on it or just go in their litter trays, like I said its mainly just in their cage as thats where the puppy pads are outside the cage in the room they mainly go in the litter tray and the odd occasion where there is a little pool.

Just keeping at it until they only go in the litter tray then they will get free roam to the house without having to worry.

Another questions after getting them sprayed will they stop pooping all over the floor as much, don't mind cleaning it up in their room as its laminate flooring just brush it up in to a pile but when they are around the house rather not have poop pills all over.

To be honest I think you'll find it *far* easier when they have been neutered/ spayed .... I wouldn't stress too much over it until then :)

Puppy pads DO attract them to pee on that area.

but my boy has a litter box in his cage which he uses, but will sometimes pee in the cage (papers under the bottom) because I think he still sort of cosiders it litter box are.

He has another litter box in the kitchen and he never pees near or around it because it is free standing.

He has been neutered for over a year. He also never pees in his "bunny castle" even though he spends sevearl hours a day sleeping in there...so I think it's a "cage as extension of litter box" thing. and since it has the wire bottom and things fall through, he is not actually fouling his area, so it doesn't bother him.

Back