• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny leads and any opinions on them?

Hello everyone! I'm thinking to get my Theodore a rabbit lead to walk him in the garden, I've had bad experiences with runs so wanted to get something different... He's an indoor rabbit lots of space indoors as well. Just thought rather than picking him grass would be nice for him to do it himself! :)

Does anyone recommend them/use them? If so which ones are the best/most comfy?

Any advice would be great :)

Thanks

I wouldn't use one under any circumstances. My buns have 8x4 runs and supervised free range time, I would never put a harness on a bunny.

I used on with my Stu and as long as they stay steady and don't bolt then it's ok or get an extending dog lead attachment

I only used it to start with for a few months to her him used toe walking up to him and picking him up
To show I wasn't going to eat him :lol: then a quick fuss and back down now I don't need it as free
Range he will just stand there when I walk up and I can pick him up :love: not sure
If this was lead training or Just cos he loves me :oops:

Still can't catch pick up casserole and Dumplin but I didn't put them on the lead at all :roll:

Buy either the harness type rather than just neck as if they struggle you could hurt him just put the harness on and give him time to get used to it before attaching the lead

What's wrong with runs. Doughnut is an indoor bunny and then has a metal enclosure with a hidey hole and tunnel and toys and she loves being out in it in the garden.

When my rabbits were babies I bought those harnesses. I was only young myself and didn't know better. They're really not a good idea, because rabbits are prey animals the feeling of being constricted leads them to panic - I've heard of bunnies having heart attacks from wearing one. Also, there's no way on earth you can lead a bunny - they lead you, and if it happens to be under a shed or towards a poisonous bush you're in trouble!

The thing with runs is not to leave them unattended. Get a good solid one with a roof, make sure there's shade from the sun and a nice safe hidey hole, and water of course, and stick out in the garden with them - it can be an excuse for topping up your tan! ;)

When my rabbits were babies I bought those harnesses. I was only young myself and didn't know better. They're really not a good idea, because rabbits are prey animals the feeling of being constricted leads them to panic - I've heard of bunnies having heart attacks from wearing one. Also, there's no way on earth you can lead a bunny - they lead you, and if it happens to be under a shed or towards a poisonous bush you're in trouble!

The thing with runs is not to leave them unattended. Get a good solid one with a roof, make sure there's shade from the sun and a nice safe hidey hole, and water of course, and stick out in the garden with them - it can be an excuse for topping up your tan! ;)

Why do you advise not leaving them in a run attended? Surely the idea of a good sturdy wooden run is to enable them to have unlimited access.

I would never use leads on bunnies - all it takes is for something to scare them a little and they bolt. Then you could have multiple broken bones including the back. A big no-no for me.

I would recommend getting a proper wooden run made with good quality, thick timber and thick (19g) mesh with small holes (1/2 x 1/2 inch). If you invest in a good size, strong, sturdy run they're really safe. Metal puppy panels or runs are totally inappropriate for unsupervised use and just as inappropriate in my opinion for supervised use - many bunnies have got their head stuck in the bars.

I have this run in a different size and it's fantastic: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8ft-x-6ft...673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ad5b18849. I would recommend something along those lines.

Why do you advise not leaving them in a run attended? Surely the idea of a good sturdy wooden run is to enable them to have unlimited access.

Them digging out underneath, or a predator coming and scaring them. I guess it depends on the area to some extent. When my buns were out in the shed they had access to their aviary when they wanted, but I had a wire mesh buried underneath the turf so they couldn't dig out. The shed door was always open too so they could dash to safety if anything scary came along, but having a dog meant foxes and cats took a wide birth!

Them digging out underneath, or a predator coming and scaring them. I guess it depends on the area to some extent. When my buns were out in the shed they had access to their aviary when they wanted, but I had a wire mesh buried underneath the turf so they couldn't dig out. The shed door was always open too so they could dash to safety if anything scary came along, but having a dog meant foxes and cats took a wide birth!

I have my hutch and run on paving slabs, so don't have that problem.

all four of my rabbits had a lead, years ago, and not one was used. leads aren't rabbit friendly. and a rabbit on a lead has no escape potential if attacked by a cat, dog, fox etc. you do well to save your money for something else. :D

I bought one when I first got Barney as I loved the idea of walking him around the garden on a little lead... He had it on for about 15 seconds before panicking and kicking and twisting about! I was so scared he had hurt himself it really put me off using them.

Waffles was fine with being put in one, but then managed to move her front paw in front of the harness with two different types of harness so have given up as it feels too dangerous. I think it's cos she's a small breed and very lithe.
She really enjoyed exploring the garden but is going to have to wait til it's bunny proofed (2015-16?)

My bunnies are perfectly calm on a harness:)

If I had a nervous bun that might bolt or freak out then I wouldn't use one. it really depends on the bun on whether it's ok or not.

My French lops love the harness, they just happily hop about and stop to munch, most of the time I use an extension lead, my last bunny also didn't mind them! I have mine on loose though (The albino is mine and the Rex is my mates)
ugaqebap.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back