• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

prednisolone

weedug

Mama Doe
Can buns stay on prednisolone for a few months? And can they have steroids injected for a few months? Or would the side effects from either get too bad?

I know it will vary from bun to bun, but just generally.

Longterm use will have negative side effects, BUT if it is part of the palliative care of a Rabbit who only has a few weeks/months left then it is an option some Vets would consider. I have had a few Rabbits who were kept comfortable for several months with a long acting steroid injection. Each Rabbit eventually passed due to their specific illness, not as a result of the side effects of the steroid.

We had a rabbit with liver cancer who had monthly steroid injections, she lived for another 6 months until the pain became too severe

One of the biggest risk with long term steroid treatment is it lowers the immune system (in people too). In other animals you'd often counter that with an accompanying lose dose antibiotic but in rabbits that's complicated by the impact that can have on gut flora, so, like anything else, it's a balance. The benefit of the long term steroid treatment usually outwighs the associated risk. If metacam isn't enough from an antiinflammatory perspective a steroid is the next step up.

One of the biggest risk with long term steroid treatment is it lowers the immune system (in people too). In other animals you'd often counter that with an accompanying lose dose antibiotic but in rabbits that's complicated by the impact that can have on gut flora, so, like anything else, it's a balance. The benefit of the long term steroid treatment usually outwighs the associated risk. If metacam isn't enough from an antiinflammatory perspective a steroid is the next step up.

I believe the OP is referring specifically to a case of palliative care (Thymoma) So 'long term' is not exactly relevant

I believe the OP is referring specifically to a case of palliative care (Thymoma) So 'long term' is not exactly relevant

It's as Jane said, for palliative care for a bun with a large thymoma mass in their chest. I maybe should have said, but haven't been thinking properly lately.

Would a very high dose of metacam give a similar effect?

We made 11 months of steroids with Badger (although his was not thymoma). Sky had 4 on his before he succumbed (his was either thymoma or lymphoma).

It's as Jane said, for palliative care for a bun with a large thymoma mass in their chest. I maybe should have said, but haven't been thinking properly lately.

Would a very high dose of metacam give a similar effect?

If it's for a tumour then personally I'd use the steroid everytime as it's the thing most likely to give a positive result.

Thank you. Can the steroid reduce the size of the tumour at all, or is it mostly for pain relief?

It can reduce the size and also the rate of growth. In my experience the Thymoma itself does not cause pain, but when it gets to a certain size it interferes with the function of other organs/GI tract/respiratory tract. So the Rabbit feels very uncomfortable and secondary symptoms develop.

Back